Go up stairs to bedroom??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Go up stairs to bedroom??? Go up stairs to bedroom???

Unread 09-03-2007, 08:03 AM
Go up stairs to bedroom???

Hi sisters!
My LAVH and repairs are scheduled for tomorrow morning
Our bedrooms are all upstairs (quite a few stairs), will I be able to manage stairs or do I need to have DH set something up for me on the main floor?

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2007, 08:48 AM

Hi Jackie,

I was worried about stairs as well. I live on the second floor, and dreaded walking up the 20 stairs when I came home from the hospital.

I had a TAH last Monday and came home Friday evening. The stairs were not bad at all! I just took them slowly and held on to the hand rail.

Everyone is different, but maybe you can try a couple of stairs at the hospital before you come home to get an idea of where you will be most comfortable. I asked the PCT (Patient Care Technician) if there were stairs I could try and she took me over to the stairwell in the hallway. After I tried a few of them there, it eased my anxiety about the stairs at home! : )

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery!!!

-Salam
Unread 09-03-2007, 08:50 AM

If you have a bathroom upstairs then you should be able to get upstairs and to bed and then stay up there until you can do stairs. I have 17 stairs up to our upstairs. I come down now to get meals and spend a few minutes on the puter, but I still spend alot of time upstairs.

If you dont have someone that can bring you meals for a week or so, and dont have a bath upstairs, then I would stay downstairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2007, 09:08 AM

My bedroom and bathroom were on the second floor. I had no problems with stairs. After the first week or so I would get up, shower and dress and come downstairs for the day (except to use the bathroom). If I got tired, I'd just nap on the sofa.
Unread 09-03-2007, 09:54 AM

Thanks! We do have a bathroom up there, so I should be ok. I can nap on the couch or in the recliner as well. Ok, off to the store for granny panties and few other things! I'll be glad when it is OVER!!!

Jackie
Unread 09-03-2007, 01:24 PM

I had LAVH, but I had no adhesions, or repairs of any sort.

Stairs were not a problem, though running or bounding up or down them would not have been possible under any circumstances. Just take it easy, and don't plan on climbing up and down them all the time. Get someone else to fetch somethign from downstairs or upstairs unless you plan on going to that floor for a while, ie, are not returning in five minutes, or it is just a quick trip or whatever...
Unread 09-03-2007, 01:45 PM

All my bedrooms are on the second floor also. I asked about the stairs and was told that for the first week to try to do them just once a day. At first I took it very easy, just one step at a time. By the end of the week I was doing them with no problem and then..............I over did them, one day i must have run up and down the stairs 10 times, that night and the next day I paid for it.

Take it easy and you should do fine.
Unread 09-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Stairs

I also live in a two-story house with all the bedrooms upstairs. The first day home from the castle when it was bedtime, my DH helped me up the stairs. We took them VERY slowly as my hips were killing me! I admit I was totally exausted by the time I got to bed. They my DH helped me downstairs in the morning and that is where I spent the day. That has been the pattern for almost 4 weeks now! I only go up at night and come down in the morning. My DH still helps me; he won't allow me to go alone, but I am much faster now. My dr. and urologist both told me that stairs were fine as long as I took my time and took them slow. Good luck.
Unread 09-03-2007, 03:14 PM

Holy Cow, Kristi...
Looks like you had the works done! How are you feeling now that it's almost a month past? And how's that sling workin' for ya? I've cancelled that part of my surgery but told I can change my mind up until admitting tomorrow. Did you have a cath for long (or do you still have?). I'm having repair work done also and I dread that the worst!
Unread 09-03-2007, 03:26 PM

I had 7 steps to go up to even get in my house..And let me just tell you it was BAD!!I wasn't able to walk upstairs to the kids rooms for a long time.I would have him set something up on the main floor...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register