Abdominal exercises | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal exercises Abdominal exercises

Unread 09-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Abdominal exercises

I am 8 weeks post-op from an abdominal hysterctomy and need to do some serious ab exercises!! Does anyone know when you can start to exercies fully? I feel great but don't want to over do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Abdominal exercises

You should not do things like sit-ups, or crunches until your abbs are fitter, and you have consulted with your doctor. Both actions involve lifting most of your upper body weight to a degree.

Before you do anything ask your doctor if you can.

When you have permission, start out slowly. Your body needs to reacquaint itself with the idea that it can. I am a personal trainer in my spare time, but I am used to hands on training, but a good starter exercise, assuming your back and body can handle it, is to be on 'all fours', and simply lift your legs up towards your chest, one at a time. Not all the way, even if it goes. Most woman are very flexible in the hip, so they can lift their knees to their chests. Anyway, this lifts your legs using your abbs. Your legs weight less than your body does, and you can control the exertion better...

When you have done this and are happy, and are more healed, make the repetitions larger, and the lifts so your knees are closer to your chest.

In time, you should be able to do this exercise, while on your toes and hands, (think push-up position) lifting your whole leg towards your chest under your body. So it kind of curls under you... (I ussully do a push-up between the leg lifts, but I am insane.)

I have a bad back, and this is how I keep not only my abbs fit, but the small muscles that support my spine, fit. Obviously I do other things as well, but for simplicity and kindness to ones back, this one is very good. It also does not require being athletic, or otherwise superhuman, or somehow outrageously agile, or controlled.

It can also be done standing, but that can be much harsher on body parts, and not everyone has the balance for it...

But, remember, ask your doctor before you try anything, only he or she knows exactly what went on inside, and what you can do, for sure.
Unread 09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Abdominal exercises

Annedellamare

I agree with ((A6000)) that you must check with your doctor first before starting any abdominal exercises.

If you look at the light blue bar, at the top of the page under the HysterSisters logo, you'll see the "Fitness" tab, one from the right. If you click on that, you'll find alot of information on fitness following a hysterectomy ~ in particular, special exercises.

Remember, though, that a hysterectomy is major surgery and complete healing can take up to a year. Take care!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Abdominal exercises

Dear A600,
Since you are a personal trainer, What can I do for the flabby granny arms? I am only 42, but I have always had them.
Unread 09-04-2007, 03:04 AM
Abdominal exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by style214
Dear A600,
Since you are a personal trainer, What can I do for the flabby granny arms? I am only 42, but I have always had them.
That is a difficult one, as it involves not only muscle-tone, but the overall tone of your body. Basically put, most women do not have much in the way of triceps. (What allows one to do push-ups, for example.) We have very little use for the muscles in our average daily lives, gravity tends to help us straighten out our arms, so one first must think about adding some tone to ones arms...

One can do things to increase muscle in ones upper arms, but unless the overall condition of the whole body is improved, what tends to happen, is that you develop muscles under the 'flab', if that makes any sense. You get stronger, and more toned, but it is hard to perceive or see under it all...

That said, it is tremendously unhealthy to have a body-fat ratio that is too low, so a balance must be found...

Something you could begin with, that is easy enough to do, and control, is push-ups against the wall. Lean into the wall so that your centre of balance is somewhere below your chest, i.e., not on your hips/legs, and then simply push your arms straight, as if you were doing a push-up. Not quickly. If you move quickly, the spring loaded tendency of your muscles will do the work, instead of your muscles. Once you are straight, then lower yourself against the wall. In a count of three, so 1) straighten arms, 2) hold arms straight, 3) bend arms again...

Start with say, no more than twenty, for about a week, and then thirty, for about two weeks, and then forty, for about two weeks, and then settle into something like fifty until it is very easy to do. Once you have achieved this, you will need to move to something more rigorous.

Set aside five minutes a day, you will notice a difference...

But, unless you increase the overall tone and fitness of your body, the difference in the flab of your arms will be very slow in happening... But it's a start, do so wall push-ups... They also help with the tone of your chest muscles, and your shoulder muscles, which is also desirable, for posture, back-pain, and so on. There is also some discussion about how if a woman's pectoral muscles are fit, then her breasts will sit more pertly, or something. I have no idea if this is true. I can do military push-ups, but when I look at my breasts, I am not so sure they are especially pert? LOL
Unread 09-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Abdominal exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by A6000
That is a difficult one, as it involves not only muscle-tone, but the overall tone of your body. Basically put, most women do not have much in the way of triceps. (What allows one to do push-ups, for example.) We have very little use for the muscles in our average daily lives, gravity tends to help us straighten out our arms, so one first must think about adding some tone to ones arms...

One can do things to increase muscle in ones upper arms, but unless the overall condition of the whole body is improved, what tends to happen, is that you develop muscles under the 'flab', if that makes any sense. You get stronger, and more toned, but it is hard to perceive or see under it all...

That said, it is tremendously unhealthy to have a body-fat ratio that is too low, so a balance must be found...

Something you could begin with, that is easy enough to do, and control, is push-ups against the wall. Lean into the wall so that your centre of balance is somewhere below your chest, i.e., not on your hips/legs, and then simply push your arms straight, as if you were doing a push-up. Not quickly. If you move quickly, the spring loaded tendency of your muscles will do the work, instead of your muscles. Once you are straight, then lower yourself against the wall. In a count of three, so 1) straighten arms, 2) hold arms straight, 3) bend arms again...

Start with say, no more than twenty, for about a week, and then thirty, for about two weeks, and then forty, for about two weeks, and then settle into something like fifty until it is very easy to do. Once you have achieved this, you will need to move to something more rigorous.

Set aside five minutes a day, you will notice a difference...

But, unless you increase the overall tone and fitness of your body, the difference in the flab of your arms will be very slow in happening... But it's a start, do so wall push-ups... They also help with the tone of your chest muscles, and your shoulder muscles, which is also desirable, for posture, back-pain, and so on. There is also some discussion about how if a woman's pectoral muscles are fit, then her breasts will sit more pertly, or something. I have no idea if this is true. I can do military push-ups, but when I look at my breasts, I am not so sure they are especially pert? LOL
Are wall pushups safe to do during recovery? Like four weeks out?

I'm dying for something I can do now.
Unread 09-04-2007, 03:54 AM
Abdominal exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlynn
Are wall pushups safe to do during recovery? Like four weeks out?

I'm dying for something I can do now.
Hmmm, well only your arms, shoulders and upper chest/back are really involved, but obviously if you are standing, you are using your abbs anyway. I cannot say if it is safe 4 weeks out or not, but I can say that it is not a high impact, or especially taxing thing to do. The object is merely to use your triceps, without having to obtain free weights, or a machine, or being able to do push-ups on the floor, which many women find impossible.

You should consult your doctor about it... s/he probably knows what they are, and can tell you for certain one way or another.

Short of getting yourself one of those Yoga big rubber band things, and teaching yourself how to use it in a way that will cause you to use your triceps, wall push-ups are the easy thing to do. The yoga band would ussualy be the next step, as you can work out most of your upper body with it, using resistance training, which is much kinder on joints, and much nicer than free weights, which one stubs ones toe on, and which are not suitable for many people, and are too easy to cheat with anyway...
Unread 09-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Abdominal exercises

I'm hoping to get out my little 2-pounders to curl while watching tv, and the ankle weights for walking--eventually. Like in another couple of weeks.

Right now driving my dh to work requires a nap.
Unread 09-04-2007, 05:17 AM
Abdominal exercises

A6000 - you are brilliant! Thanks for sharing these tips with us! I'm going kinda crazy ... ok a lot crazy ... not being able to swim (laps). Can't wait to be able to get back in the water and slowly get back into my routine! : )
Unread 09-04-2007, 07:35 AM
Abdominal exercises

After I got the okay to resume ALL activities, I rejoined my aerobics aquatics class. I don't do regular crunches because they don't agree with my back.

We do this one excercise they call crunches and they are painless. You stand up straight. Breathe out and take in a deep breath. Tighten up your tummy muscles as tight as you can while breathing out slowly for ten seconds. They are working wonderfully and you can do them anywhere...even out of the water.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register