Abdominal exercises - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal exercises Abdominal exercises

Unread 12-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Abdominal exercises

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogreatmischief
hi A6000 and yogini13...i'm almost 9 mos. out from 2 abdominal surgeries (feb. 19 & mar. 22/07) and have recently started back to "organized exercise" in the form of dance yoga once a week and a personal trainer twice a week. prior to my surgeries i was taking iyengar yoga and salsa/fit so i was trying my best but funny enough couldn't lose any weight. lost 30 lbs. after my hyst. but have put most of it back on. did challenging walks as soon as i recovered from the surgery and in between chemo treatments. (i'm 57).

my question and concern is the lower pelvic pain (almost to the pubic area) i have been having after fairly strenuous ab exercises. the one that bothers me the worst is sitting upright from a laying-down flat on the mat, legs straight out position. i'm able to do the opposite of that and not hurt. do you think i'm using the wrong ab muscles? my trainer thinks there might be a pelvic/hip connection. my yoga instructor thinks it's too soon to be doing strenuous exercise since i just finished 6 chemo treatments sept. 5 (3 mos. ago). my dr. said that i am totally healed and that it was okay to keep at it as long as the pain subsides, which it does in a couple of days. (btw i had my 3 mo. post-chemo followup and i'm doing great).

i really want to try to lose my belly fat, but i don't want to hurt myself. any suggestions? i've been posting on the cancer concerns for months and just now noticed this thread. thank you everyone for your input, esp. the two trainers!

to all those who are still recuperating from their surgery, please don't overdo it...start out slowly by short walks, only when you are up to it! it will get better. best wishes to all.
colleen
Well dear, it sounds like you are doing good really. Your dr. is right as far as saying as long as it subsides. I am a year out today and have had a total of 3 surgeries. This by far was the worst. I still have problems with sitting up the way way you described. I also don't feel it would help you lose the fat anyway. Do it in reverse as in lie on your back all lift straigtened, closed legs to the same position you would be in if sitting on the floor. Do it slowly and with correct breathing, hold, and slowly bring down with correct breathing. The reason I don't feel you will lost the belly doing this is quite simple, you need to lose it through cardio. Your muscles are under there. Also, bellies after these surgeries and our age make it dang harder to lose, not fair huh?! Don't over due it though, I can clean the house for 1 hr or so and if my body feels like it, I will be hurting for 3 or 4 days in the lower ab area. It's not the same pain as being out of shape or working out, it's the same pain like it was from surgery or a real bad periods. Hope this helps, if not post here and I will get a notice in my e-mail and will help you more if you have a more detailed description.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Abdominal exercises

dear yogini...thank you so much for your response...i guess i need the reassurance that as long as i don't overdo it, i will be fine. my trainer has stepped up the cardio (this is the first time we've done cardio as we just got our gym equipment moved from downstairs to main floor) and she showed me how to work on the treadmill in a more productive way. already she had me doing a more strenuous level than i was at before the surgeries. she advised me to go at a higher speed and level for 2 minutes, then slower for 2 minutes (or something like that) and i did that for 30 minutes. she has stepped back a little with the ab exercises. i think i will try the one you described...that was one of the exercises...at first i could barely lift my legs up off the ground...lol! i get my other cardio from the dance yoga, but that's only once a week, so i'll take your advice and do more cardio, now that i have no excuse not to since the exercise equipment is right beside my bedroom!

my one other concern, and i'm sure it's normal considering everything that has happened since last feb., is that after the workout or an evening out, the next day i am extremely tired. i'm not sure if i should continue the twice a week training with the trainer (tues and thurs) because then wed and fri, i'm pretty much good for nothing, i'm so fatigued. i was thinking of maybe just once a week until i show improvement in my stamina. (any suggestion would be welcome). i'll still go to my dance yoga on sat because it is not work, it's fun and maybe another yoga class, which i haven't been able to go to because of the workouts on tues and thurs.

you're so right about the difficulty in losing belly fat at my age (57) and esp. after abd. surgeries. i was actually looking very slender after my surgeries, but that's a terrible way to lose fat...i certainly didn't feel well at all for quite some time. i'm so thankful to be pain free and relatively fit...i guess a little belly fat (actually i have a lot) isn't so bad afterall.

hey, i just noticed...today is the anniversary of your hysterectomy...congratulations. i hope you're feeling better as you said "this last surgery was by far the worst". thank you so much for your expertise...you really have helped.
Unread 12-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Abdominal exercises

Hey NGM, glad to help. I just wanted to say one more thing, don't worry too much about being wiped out the next day, it comes with the mess your poor body has been through. Maybe you could step back a little on the cardio as in don't do less days, do less time on it. I don't know, just a thought. Sounds like you really need the dance yoga if it is fun for you, we all need to have fun plus it releases so many of the positive hormones your body will actually heal faster. It may take quite awhile to heal so don't expect too much too soon and try not to stay worn down with excercise, your body truly is still going through a mess plus it's colder now and your body will have to work even harder. Make any sense? If you do take another yoga class, make sure it's a beginners class or close to it, you don't want to over do it but it certainly will help tone and detoxify your system.

Good luck sweetie, I'm always here for you if you need me.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Abdominal exercises

NGM, don't forget your vitamins especially your B's. A good B Complex helps so much with fatigue.
Unread 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Abdominal exercises

yogini...thanks for the reminders about the vitamins...that's been on my mind for awhile now and i want to ask my g.p. to recommend something to me...also vitamin D as apparently we in the north don't get nearly enough from the sun in the winter months. i don't take any medications whatsoever right now; however, i'm thinking i do need vitamins.

thanks for your kind words about being wiped out...i feel embarrassed about it since other than that, i feel fine, when most of my friends have all kinds of physical ailments (thankfully not cancer) and they still have to work fulltime.

i see that you teach yoga...i love it...i took iyengar yoga for a year before my first surgery. i do want to get into a beginner's class at my new yoga studio...just have to find the time. are you back to teaching? it is great exercise, as well as very comforting and spiritual, especially with an experienced instructor.

sounds like you went thru a lot with having 3 surgeries...i hope you are feeling better than ever and enjoying your life. i wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year as well. thanks for your advice and encouragement.
colleen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register