Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007 - Page 16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007

Unread 09-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsea7
I had my staples removed b4 I went home from hospital...steri strips were applied, I have a 6 week check up appt.....I have gotten irritated under where my steri strips are stuck to my skin....my incision is perfect but my skin dies not like the strips...after showering, I started to use my blow dryer ON COLD SETTING, and dried the area b4 getting dressed---hopefully this will help my tender skin...
I got huge blisters from the glue they used on the steri strips. Surgery was on the 13th and the last of the glue finally came off yesterday. Relief!!!! There is still some redness, but it looks to be healing. The doc said to use Bacitracin ointment on it and that seemed to work well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelia829
Call the drs and spoke to the nurse about the pain on the right side and they want me to come in. I go in tomorrow at 11. My wound is also really red and swollen on each side so I think there may be a problem. I will keep you all posted.
Good luck with your appt. I hope everything turns out well for you. Sending healing thoughts your way!
Unread 09-26-2007, 12:27 PM

I got nasty blisters from the tape they used on my dressing. At one point, those hurt worse than my incision! I am so glad I am over that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2007, 12:37 PM

I was told to leave the steri strips there until they fell off on their own. Which could take about 2 weeks.
Unread 09-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Super Women Relax!!!

Sisters:
After reading all of the posts in this Forum I wanted to share my thoughts with you:

Problems sleeping, depression, mood swings, night sweats, taste differences, changes in appetite, hot flashes:
All due to hormal changes
I read the book "What your Doctor may not want you to know about Menopause"

This is all normal stuff....and I am grateful to have been prepared for what I have been experiencing.
My MD put me on an Estriadol patch when I was in recovery, and after reading it's side effects took in off yesterday....Since then I haven't had any hot flashes, night sweats, only slight headaches (again normal).

I took immediate action into researching this whole hysterectomy thing as I had never had a surgery before....

I realize that it is difficult to not be able to DO WHAT WE THINK WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING, but seriously I live alone with 5 pets, and have to monitor my own activity so I don't end up with a hernia.

I have dealt with the boredom of non-activity, and I have just tried to keep myself occupied different ways. I haven't read a magazine in probably a 2 years, but I sure enjoy reading one now. It keeps the brain stimulated...write in a journal, phone a friend, watch a movie, anything to keep your mind occupied. This does help!!!

To those that envy us......so be it...This is one hell of a vacation for me....one week pay, no pay the next. I know that everything will work out...I have faith in the unseen.

I am grateful every day for less pain, and being able to do more than I could the day before, just concentrate on getting healthy and it will happen!!!

Big Hugs from me to all of you brave sisters who will overcome these seeming obstacles, just remember how much better we will all feel when we can have a night out on the town, and tell our stories to our friends who still have their ORGANS!!!

Take Care and Best Wishes,
Karen
Unread 09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Released!

Yahoo! I just got back from my doctor's office (two week post-op) and he cleared me for long-distance driving and to begin swimming and running again. I'm so relieved. (Of course, he told me no long-distance running for a few weeks, but I'm allowed to run a mile or so, as long as I feel up to it.) The only thing I can't do yet is lift and do crunches (six weeks - oh, and of course, sex). He also said that he thought the slight swelling above the incision site would completely go away as it was down so significantly already. Thank God this is nearly over. Pathology was normal - as expected - and he was really pleased with how things are going. Totally released me even from the six week followup, unless I have questions (had already given me six-week instructions prior).

Thanks to everyone for all of the support here and all of the good wishes that go out to everyone. This is just a wonderfully welcoming environment. Also, thanks for all of the great advice and all of the answers to those little panicky questions that come up when you believe you've done something horrible or something horrible's going on in your body! This site really eased my mind and let me relax about recovery. I'm so grateful! You are all phenomenal women!

Also, a special note to all of the sisters out there still on the road to recovery, good luck!
Unread 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM

mzmrizme....
My doctor removed my staples and applied steri-strips at my one week appointment. He said it was okay to shower, but not sit in the bathtub. Was told to "pat" the area dry and that the strips will eventually start to come off. Doctor said that when they start coming off I can help them along, but in past experience (cervical fusion surgery) I've learned to just let them come of in their own time. I'm told that it makes for a better scar it they release in their own time.

Okay... have I completely confused everyone? LoL
Unread 09-26-2007, 01:22 PM

Lynn - Thank you so very much for your wisdom on this. I can shower, but can't tolerate the water on the incision area or to the upper left of it. The strips are holding tight - so I will leave them alone. Thank you again!!!
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:41 PM

well....I took showers with strips on starting right when I got home(day 3)and doc said to just let soapy water run down over strips--not to wash the area--so that is what I have been doing--all has been great until that part of the skin which has gotten irritated by the strip itself--he also said the strips would begin to sluff off after 2 weeks--two have done that but the rest are still on pretty good..I am going to wait and continue blow drying to get the area dry after showering....sometimes the docs are not detailed enuf on how to handle the incision area...
Unread 09-26-2007, 02:48 PM

thank you Zeno....for the comment on the strips irritating you too...at least I know that I am not the only one getting a reaction....also...the bacitricin ointment should help me as well..I will apply some starting today...
hugs to you all!
Sunsea7

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register