Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007

Unread 09-19-2007, 03:23 AM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 10-Sep 17,2007

Hi

I had my TAH (vertical incision) on the 13th as planned. I was so scared but slept relatively well the night before (unlike many other nights before). I think I'd come to terms with the fact that I needed the op.
I did need a pre-med as the fear factor went up with each stage, eg. going to the hospital, then speaking with surgeon, then changing for the op, etc. They gave me tamazepan and told me it would be like drinking 20 gins - it was! I started to cry when DH had to leave but the tamazepan kicked in so fast that I was chilled listening to the radio within a couple of minutes.

Before I knew it I was down to theatre (at which point the tamazepan mysteriously wore off!!!). The surgery took longer than expected - 4hrs instead of the 1 and a half expected. I had pictures taken of my fibroid uterus which was extremely large and reminded me of bagpipes for some reason The surgeon also managed to save both my ovaries which I was so happy about as he felt the fibroid was so big that it would be technically difficult to save them. So I can understand that the op took so long.
I had a morphine pump to control the pain which was removed the next day. They tell you to get a good nights sleep before the op and you do need it as they wake you up every hour during the night to take your temperature, blood pressure (which dropped very low in my case) and pulse. The next day, the pump, drip and catheter were removed and I was allowed to take a shower Saturday morning. That was a big part in making you feel normal and all the women in the ward were virtually skipping after taking them - so good did it make everyone feel. We did pay the price about half an hour later though when everyone went to sleep - it does take it out of you.
I was discharged on Sunday.
The only thing I was worried about was the wind pains which I started to suffer on Saturday - however, my normal routine once home (plus decent coffee!) did the trick and it all cleared up quite rapidly.
On Monday, I went for a slow and short walk with DH and I am now feeling great. I think the size of the fibroid was dragging me down for so long that it was inevitable that I would feel the benefits really quickly. So many people told me that I would feel like a new woman when I had this done and although it's not quite a week yet, I can feel the benefits already.
I know everyone is different and recovers at different rates and I wish everyone going for the op every best wish.

My tips:

Don't be afraid to ask for a pre med if you feel you need one, it really helped me and if it helps reduce your stress levels, which can only be good.

Drink plenty of water when you are able, it really gets your bladder working and back to normal quickly and if, you are prone to infections, will help flush them through quicker.

Although you will feel tired, leave it late to go to bed. It is difficult to get comfy for the long periods you are supposed to sleep.

All the ladies who have recommended it already on this site are right - use a body pillow. Without one, I wouldn't have slept at all.

DH is great - for someone who didn't know where the washing machine or dishwasher was - he has given it a good try. Think we might need some new crockery though - he pressed every button going on the dishwasher in the hope that it would 'go'.

Finally, don't let DH make you laugh as mine did when he cut his nose and used his glasses to hold some toilet paper across it!

For all you ladies waiting, the fear beforehand is definately the worst part.

Best wishes to you all
Pagan X X X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2007, 07:43 AM

Had TAH on Tuesday, September 11. Doctor was able to leave ovaries.

I was home on Sept 13, and taking walks in the neighborhood on Sept 15! Also, reduced pain meds to bedtime only on Sept 15 and did fine.

My health was fine in the hospital, but I was not. I couldn't sleep on my back. I couldn't read. I couldn't watch TV. I just laid awake all night both nights watching the clock move! I was on a maternity ward, with no roommates so my DH was able to stay the first night. I was glad to have a private room, but maybe could have used a little more company or a hystersisters roomie.

On Sunday, September 16/17 about 1 a.m., I heard the dog scratching to get into my daughter's room upstairs. Without a thought, I went galloping up the stairs to let him in. Felt no pain either! But I felt it Monday morning! Almost like something popped, and dropped. Anybody experience anything similar?

Thanks to this website, I brought everything I needed for the hospital, including many things I would never have thought of otherwise!
Unread 09-19-2007, 08:23 AM

I didn't have much pain either for the first week or so but I was taking percocet every 6 hours. I am now taking Tylenol #3. I have been in so much pain in my groin area since last night. It feels like I have a super wedgie goin on but when I try to loosen my panties there not tight. It is very aggravating. I feel like I'm hanging in a parachute harness on each side of my pubic area. Everything seems to be swollen down there, achy and tingly. Sometimes it feels like something popped but I think it might be gas. I am tinkling every once and awhile and don't even realize it. I hope my bladder didn't drop. Could it? I feel like such a whiner. I don't know what I'd do without you all. You have been so helpful.

TAH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2007, 08:34 AM

I had cervix and uterus and kept my ovaries. Try the 600 mg and take a 200 mg ibuprofen that you buy over the counter. You won't feel so out of it. Slow down! I have to keep reminding myself this and my husband too. I have been doing way to much and definately felt it yesterday. Take care. K
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:06 AM

Hi all,
My surgery was the 12th, came home Saturday the 15th. Glad to be home. My hospital visit went fine except I got myself up and out of bed the second day, sat in a chair and did crossword puzzle, waiting for breakfast. My IV machine started beeping, and I SWEAR I counted at least 50 people walk by my room, never looked in, never checked in, and of course I could not beep the nurse because it was on the bedrail clear across the room. Well, I had managed on my own with catheter, machine and all to get to the chair, and that was where I was staying put. I had trouble with the day nurses. Like I said, at least 50 people walked by and never came in, I finally resorted to calling out nurse, and then someone came in to empty a trash bag and i told them to tell someone my machine had been beeping for 30 minutes. The response was that my day nurse was in helping with a blood transfusion and that was a little more important than fixing the IV pump machine. Oooooooh, was I ticked. Other than that, I had great nurses except during the day.

I am doing okay, STILL dealing with a lot of gas (that I can't seem to release and it builds up) and that is painful. I have had two BM's since I've been home one week, but they are going slow and painful too. I never used to have any problems in that area, so this is all new to me. Probably the worst thing about my recovery so far.

I am still very sore, still hurts to use muscles to sit or stand, and have a pinching feeling on the right side. I am able to do more than I thought I would, have been up walking around a lot, but still need help getting into and out of chairs, as they are all different heights and stuff. Some hurt worse than others to sit in.

My appetite hasn't returned fully, but that may be because I know it will have to pass, and I dread that part of it because it is uncomfortable.

I had an experience with the pump. I am allergic to Morphine, and everyone knew that going in, so they were going to give me Dilaudid instead. My surgery was at 8:00 a.m., into recovery and out of recovery about 12:30. Remember nothing about the move to my room or how I got there. Used the PCA pump all day. About 2:00 in the morning, I began itching all over my body, in places I didn't think I could itch, like bugs were crawling all over me. It was very uncomfortable. I asked them what the drug was that they had changed the bag, it was Dilaudid, but they could not control the itching. I found out rarely do patients itch with this drug, usually it is morphine, which I am allergic to anyway. So, to combat the itching allergic reaction they gave me some Benadryl, which combined with the Dilaudid, sent my blood pressure spiraling to 98/63, my hear rate went down to 45 or something, anyway, they were definitely worried. They had even talked about having an anesthesiologist come in to try to reverse meds or something, but it didn't happen. So, I refused to push my PCA until we could talk to my doctor at 8:00 the next morning. That is when she told me I am one of those rare individuals that cannot handle the PCA, as it may dispense the meds too fast for me to handle. She switched me to Vicoding, alternating with Toradol in the IV, and the combination of those two went great throughout my stay. My biggest advice is just listen to your own body, and if it is doing something weird, speak out.

The rest of my stay was uneventful. My first CNA that helped me out of the bed the next day was a gem. She went step by step with me, and showed me the best way to do it, and was very empathetic when I first put my feet down to stand up and I just started crying it hurt so bad. She was great. A big help in showing me the best and easiest way to get up and down. I have remembered all she said even since I have been home.

I didn't use half the stuff I took to the hospital. I took books, puzzle books, reading books, nightgowns, robes, slippers, etc. Just a piece of advice. While you are there, you WILL be hurting, you WILL want to sleep, you WILL NOT care what you look like, so don't bother bringing makeup, cutesy gowns etc. Take a few simple things like toothbrush, comb, gown, and maybe one book or crossword puzzle. Most of the time you will just want to rest. I had a LOT of visitors off and on, so I slept on the off times.

Well, I have sat long enough. Best wishes to all my sisters who came home. Like I sad, the gassy belly, and BM problem has really been the worst part for me. Managing to get comfortable in bed proves to be bearable, but not the most comfortable. Up walking around the cul de sac at least once or twice a day seems to help getting the BM thing working. I use Activia yogurt, eat a prune a day, make a fiber shake with mango, and try to increase my water intake.

Overall, I am happy I had the surgery. I know in a week or two I will be really happy once I get through the pain. The pictures spoke for themselves, I needed to have the surgery. My uterus was twice the size, and one fallopian tube/ovary was much larger than the other.

I go for my post-op appointment this afternoon, so finding things to wear should be challenging. My belly is still huge, probably filled with gas. They said my staples will probably come out today as my incision site looked good when I left the hospital. Ouch. Already?

My DH has been great, just forgets that I cannot move as fast as him. He sometimes forgetts that I need help sitting down, as he will say, okay just sit down and I'll bring your dinner, well, dear, I need help sitting down. Then a little lightbulb goes on and he remembers oh yeah. He has been absolutely a doll. Is off this week, which is good because he caught himself a good ole' cold with cough and everything.

Anyways, I have rambled enough. I am glad to be home!
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:11 AM
New Report for 9/11/07 surgery Date

Had not been feeling well. The pain was manageable, but I was so dizzy and nauseous; I usually get very nauseous from anesthesia so I was not concerned. I had hot/cold flashes and thought it may be just hot flashes from loosing my ovaries. By Sunday, I took my temp. and realized it was a fever. Called my Dr. and was told to go to the ER. Eight miserable hours at the ER, a CT scan and lots of blood work determined my Hemoglobin level was a 6 (should be 12-15). (P.S. Had to drink a mixture for the CT scan which later caused an upset stomach, the ER had 2 very unclean bathrooms to be shared by everyone. The bed in the ER was less than comfortable, I was in so much pain, could not get comfortable. I would recommend not going to an ER (they move as fast as standing pond water), but seeing if you Dr. can admit you or perform tests outside of the office hours to avoid the ER. This is the treatment I received and my husband works in this ER!) Received a blood transfusion and instantly began to feel better. I was released from the hospital yesterday with a hemoglobin level of 10.1. I feel 100% better!

My advise, don't wait until the weekend to call your Dr. if you continue to feel dizzy, drained and nauseous. Request a CBC test immediately to avoid hours of undue misery!
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:32 AM

hello everyone. I had my radical TAH BSO on the 11th. I got the foley out on Monday and am sooooo glad. I have some concerns but hopefully they are nothing. I do have some good news as the pathology reports look good for the omentum and other outer tissues so I am very happy about that. Good luck everyone, I am sure we will be feeling better everyday!

Janelle
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:40 AM

I think you may be having hot flashes. I am 31 and had my tah bso on the 11th also and am already on climara and I am still getting hot flashes. The estrogen isn't high enough. Good luck to you and call your doctor about the hot flashes.

Janelle
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:01 AM

yesterday was bad for me. I was servely constipated. I had to the whole enema and laxative thing yesterday. My mil stayed in the house just in case it didn't work. I have a history of bowel obstructions. So, we were all on pins and needles. I have to stay on laxatives until all my medicine is gone. The includes my pain medicine.

the only problem I have encountered besides the constipation is leg muscles upper are very soar and spasm a lot. Dh has to massage them frequently. First we thought it was from using the right side of the bed to get up and down. We switched for a day or so to give my right leg a break. It didn't help. So, I think is from the lavh I had. From the legs beginning in a bind for and hour and a half during surgery.

Anyone else have this?

Oh, I itch interally. Its really funny. I tell I'm healing b/c I itch.
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:07 AM

I went to eat an old time favorite, Ritz crackers and peanut butter and the crackers were to salty for me, which was unusual, I love salt. I am walking slow but walking. since the doc removed a bunch of adhesions from around my rectum, I always have "full" senstaion in that area. Now I am wondering if I had that due to being messed with during surgery or is this a normal feeling that I wasn't getting because the adhesions were wrapped around my rectum. I don't like it, I feel like I have to bm all the time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register