abnormal pap after treatments | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abnormal pap after treatments abnormal pap after treatments

Unread 07-05-2001, 09:42 PM
abnormal pap after treatments

Hello! It's been a little while since I last posted (and I have a new user name -- prior username was sardavsmom -- sorry to those I may have offended with that name ) -

I completed the last of my internal/external radiation treatments the end of January and have since been coping with many side effects of the surgery, chemo and-especially-the radiation. Constant UTI's (primary physician now says may be radiation cystitis?-anyone experience with this?), increased problems with my pre-existing conditions of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and horrors with vaginal stenosis. They also did a bone scan to rule out spread of the cancer to my bones, but YEAH - so far no cancer there! They did find DJD of my spine - which may be the reason for constant right sided pain I'm having, as they've ruled out kidney, gall bladder and/or liver problems. With the stenosis being a problem, my oncologist gyn was finally able to get a pap in June -- his nurse called 1-1/2 weeks ago and told me it has come back abnormal. My oncologist is on vacation until July 9th -- and the nurse told me, "Dr. ____ will have to let you know what that means when he returns from vacation". I really wish she would have simply told me the results were not in! I know abnormal can mean so many things, but fears of recurrence keep haunting my mind. Any sisters with abnormal paps after all treatments have been completed for invasive cervical cancer? I appreciate any thoughts you don't mind sharing. I'm already on Ativan nightly since the cancer surgery, but even that can't seem to settle the anxiety of knowing I have an abnormal pap again.

Thank you and best wishes to you all as you heal and enjoy life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2001, 05:12 AM

Hi, Patti!

Sorry to hear you are still dealing with the after-effects of radiation and chemo. And now arthritis in your spine? Well, I'm glad they found the reason for your right-sided pain. I'm so glad your bones were clean! Hurray!

You must be very anxious hearing that your PAP came back abnormal. I'm with you--they should have just said the results weren't back yet. Or just said that since the doctor is on vacation they can't give out the results of any lab work. To have to wait so long to find out what's abnormal about them is not fair! Well, today's Friday--Monday will be here in just a couple of days and then you'll know. Wishing you the best for a simple reason for the abnormal result and keeping you in my prayers during your wait.
Unread 07-06-2001, 05:50 AM

Hugs to you , Patty. I am so sorry for what you are going through. It seems all we ever do is wait , wait for results after results. You must be so anxious.

Radiation side effects are the pits. I have only recently finished mine and I am still having some bladder spasms, infrequently though, so with some luck it is healing. i just drink gallons of water to help. The stenosis is a worry though, did you have to use a dilator after your internal radiation? Has the doctor suggested anything to reverse the damage done?

Please remember that we are all here for you. Please let us know how you go. You take good care , love always x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2001, 11:32 AM

Hi Patti,

So sorry to read about all you've gone through. The girl in my dr's office called me and told me my pap was abnormal and she wanted to make an appt.....the dr will discuss it with me then! I said "you don't think I'm going to let you leave it at that, do you?". My dr wasn't on vacation so I was able to speak with him by being pushy. I just don't know what they are thinking! It seems like such a cruel thing to do. Maybe they just get used to making these calls.

I didn't need any follow up after my hyst, but I know I will feel the anxiety about every 3 month pap. The ladies on this board are wonderful and will be with you every step of the way.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register