I have already had cancer | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have already had cancer I have already had cancer

Unread 07-06-2001, 07:25 AM
I have already had cancer

HI everyone, a friend told me about this site,
I hope you can help me.
I am 39 years old, i have already had cancer twice,
when i was 19 i had throat cancer and then i got it again when i was 22, in oct, of last year i had a hysterectomy...my concern is i dont no anything about hormones...and i sure dont want to be putting somthing in my body to give me cancer again...right now i am on the patch,,,i went off of them for about two months, but the hot flashes got so bad i had to go back on them...i do not want to be on the hormones any more..does anyone no what i can take like an herb or somthing instead of the hormones...i am more worried about cancer then i am anything else...
could some one tell me what estriol and progesterone is and what they do...thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2001, 07:35 AM

Donna,
I am so sorry to hear of your history. You are a very brave and strong woman, for someone so young you have endured so much. You did not mention why you had to have a hyst. You definately have found the right place. I am just beginning my experiment with hormones, I can't quite help you there. I had a hyst because of cancer. I am sure there will be some ladies slong shortly to help you with the hormone questions, also have you checked out the hormone jungle, that is very helpful.
I am also afraid of cancer. According to my doc, the chance of endometrial cancer is not really proven, it was believed many years ago, but not so much nowadays. The
risk of breast cancer is uncertain.....do you have a history of breast cancer in your family? What does your doc recommend?
Good luck to you and keep us posted.......
Valentina
Unread 07-06-2001, 11:07 AM

Hi Donna,
Welcome, and so glad you found HysterSisters! You will find lots of information and a lot of support here.

So very sorry to hear of your bouts of cancer. Gosh you have had a rough time of it.

I, like Valentina have just started on an HRT program. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer last fall, and required some chemo after my hysterectomy.

I recently started on Estrogel which I hear is only available by that name here in Canada and in Europe. Its been in Europe for about 20 years, and the stats regarding breast cancer with its use are very good from what I have read on this product. It has a very low rate of breast cancer developing. But of course thats not to say it couldn't happen. Its very easy to use, just a gel that comes out of the container in a pre-measured dose and its rubbed into the arms.

As Valentina also mentioned please do vist the Hormone Jungle message boards. Within that section there is a board called No Hormone Desert, which is a site for women who because of cancer or other factors are unable to or choose not to take HRT.
I think you will find quite a bit of information which you can then discuss with your doctor and decide what may work best for you.
There is plenty of reading there on various alternatives, and please do feel free to post any questions you have. They are a wonderful group of ladies there.

Please continue to check your post back here as well as we have many ladies I am sure who will also be posting words of wisdom and support for you as well.
I hope you will vist the Hormone Jungle boards, and if you have any problems finding it just let us know!
I will keep you in my prayers, and please keep us posted on how you are doing Donna, and again, we are very glad your friend told you about this site. Its been a wonderful source of support for so many women!
All the Best!
Maria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2001, 04:07 PM

Hi Donna, sorry that you are so stressed about the hormone issue. But please do visit the HORMONE JUNGLE there is so much infromation there. You dont say what you had the hysterectomy for, was it cancer ?

I had cancer on the vaginal wall and have just finished radiation. This killed my ovaries so I am in instant menopause. I was so against taking any hormones and went through headached and night sweats and really severe mood swings. I am really into being treated as naturally as possible but my quality of life wasn't good . So I have decided to take hrt and am now on Climara patch. I now feel normal, the headaches are still there but not as severe as they were . This will pass in time. My cancer is not at all affected by taking hormones. Some are. I read alot and asked questions and made my decision based on that, plus I wanted to feel normal ( well as normal as I could )

Go and read in the hormone jungle and ask questions there. Then talk to your Dr and make a decision. This is a tough one , but hang in there. Please remember that we are always here for you. Take care x x x
Unread 07-07-2001, 07:20 AM

Hi Donna!

I'm so sorry to hear you've had such a hard time with cancer already. Having battled it twice at such a young age, I can certainly understand how scared you are and how much you want to avoid it again.

I had my surgery for cancer also (am now also 39) and due to the estrogen receptive nature of mine, am unable to take any form of estrogen at this time. I have been taking numerous vitamin supplements to help combat the menopause symptoms. Among them, Vitamin E, Multi Vitamin, B-Complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Glucosamine. I've had some ongoing trouble with my platelet counts being too high since completing chemo so have to okay any supplements with both my gyn oncologist and my hematologist.

I do still get some hot flashes and night sweats but they are less than they were when I was unable to take the supplements for a time.

There are ladies out there who've been able to take Black Cohash and had good luck with it. Please do check out the Desert Oasis forum in addition, all the ladies there are unable to take HRT due to either cancer, blood clots or allergies for some. We share ideas about what may be helping. Please do check with your Dr before adding any type of supplements to make sure they are right for your particular situation.

I wish you the best on continued good health and hope you'll be able to find some relief soon. Please let us know how you're doing when you can.

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register