Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

Unread 09-17-2007, 12:00 AM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

If your hysterectomy was between Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 this is the place to post your progress during your hysterectomy recovery.

If you have a question about your recovery, please start a new thread to receive answers and support for your concerns!

We hope you are recovering with plenty of rest and a bit of walking.

Post how you are doing here when you are home and well enough to sit a few minutes at your computer.

Don't forget to pamper the princess, drink plenty of water and walk a bit!

How to use the Progress Report threads:
  • 1. This thread is for the purpose of your hysterectomy recovery progress report.
  • 2. Generally, ONE or TWO posts on this thread per member/per day is adequate to share your daily progress.
  • 3.If you have a question about your own recovery, do not ask it here. Start a new thread!
  • 4. The Progress Report threads will be moved at 8 weeks post-op to the HysterSisters Clubhouse forum where you can continue your friendships.
  • 5. Remember all the love & support you got here as a pre-op member? Now it's YOUR turn to give back to the women in Pre-Op Forum. Extend your hand and your hugs in replies to our pre-op ladies in waiting. This will complete our circle of Women Helping Women!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

Hi all! I had my TLH done on Monday morning the 17th about 10:30 am. I was out of surgery about 2 1/2 hours later, but do not remember it well. I remember people all around me congratulating me on how well it went. Anesthesiology gave me the max on all the anti-nausea meds but still I was nauseous until about 10:30 that night. After the last dose of Zofran IV about that time I felt loads better and was able to eat and keep down 3 pieces of buttered toast. I had already been to the bathroom to pee twice by then. They had removed my urinary cath in post-op and I don't remember it at all. By midnight I had been up twice and did one lap around the unit each time. I slept the night comfortably on IV Toradol. No narcs since the last dilaudid IV after post-op.

Tuesday, 18th: My med-surg team (except my surgeon) came for rounds at 6am. I felt great - well, except for the full, heavy gassy feeling in my guts. I felt like I'd done 100 bicycle crunches the day before too. They were both encouraging and I told them I was ready to be discharged right now. They laughed and said the doc would be around soon. Well, I was up and peeing. Had breakfast about 8am and you should have seen the nurse's face when I turned down the vicodin in favor of ibuprofen. Bet that doesn't happen very often! Finally farted about 9am (what a relief!) after doing four laps around the unit. Took about 2 minutes for each lap but each felt like a mile! The doc was there to see me and tell me how wonderful the procedure went at about 10am. I told her I had plans for lunch and wanted to go. She laughed and an hour later I was in a wheelchair waiting at the entrance of the hospital for DH to take me home.

Came home and had left overs - mom's shepards pie. YUM! Then took a little siesta. Went out for dinner at PF Changs. Daring, I know, but wanted to get out of the house so bad just to feel somewhat normal. Was exhausted by the time I got home, but worth it. Lounged around for a while until bedtime and took a vicodin. I'd been managing my 3-4 (on the 10 scale) gassy like pains with ibuprofen all day so I figured the vicodin would help me sleep. It did! I woke at about 4:30am to go to the bathroom and then took another vicodin. Did all this without waking DH and navigating 6 steps down to the kitchen and back again. Slept until 7:30 and woke feeling great.

Wednesday, 20th: Went out to breakfast this morning. Mom, sister and niece were headed home to Ohio - they had come out to support me for my surgery. After breakfast DH and I took a 45 min walk around the neighborhood and of course had to visit the local Starbucks. Took a break and watched a Tom Selleck movie (YUM), had lunch and another ibuprofen. Took a short siesta and went for another 40 min walk. Past the Starbucks again. TMI here but great BMs after each walk! Much better than laxatives! : )

Now I'm a bit sore. Not due for another ibuprofen for about an hour so will lay down and watch the news. I'm so thrilled with my recovery so far! Thank goodness it's finally over!

Best wishes to all in HysterSister land!

~ jen : )
Unread 09-19-2007, 06:35 PM

My surgery was on Monday, the 17th and all was very straight forward according to my surgeon, although, due to the number of fibroids I had it was done abdominally. They've had me on blood thinners but other than a small noise bleed I had virtually no bleeding until I just urinated a few minutes ago. I assume some bleeding is normal?

Lynda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2007, 07:30 PM

I had a laproscopic (Davinci) total hysterectomy on the 18th. I came home today.

I have 5 small incisions across the upper part of my belly and vaginal sutures from the uterus removal. It's a bit tender, but not bad at all. Definitely manageable.

I am obese -- 375 pounds -- and I came through the anesthetic and surgery just fine. It's definitely a good alternative to an abdominal incision for women with weight problems.

I still have a bit of a swelly belly -- but I'm burping and passing gas quite a bit now, so it's going down. I can finally pee without much problem. But I haven't had a BM yet...taking stool softeners, so maybe tomorrow. I did finally pass gas today...so I know that things are "waking up.'' My hubby had to laugh at me.....I passed gas and said "Oh wonderful! I farted!'' lol

I'm sore, but not too bad. Ibuprofin is managing the pain just fine. I am comfortable sitting on our couch or in the recliner, but I can't get up without help. Other than that, I'm doing really well.
Unread 09-19-2007, 08:44 PM

Mine was a laparoscopic procedure but my doc said she cut my uterus in two parts and removed them both through my vagina. She said I had one fairly big fibroid and tons of little ones. They ended up taking my appendix, but she left both of my ovaries. No endo like she thought, but she said there was something wierd about the middle lining of my uterus. She's withholding judgement until the pathology report comes back.
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:38 AM

Starting Day 2 at home. I slept in a recliner in our livingroom last night. We have a waterbed, so I won't be sleeping in bed for quite awhile. I know I wouldn't be able to get up again.

We have a set of plastic chairs with arms. I have put one beside each chair I sit in. when I need to get up, I just grab the chair by the arms and use it to help me. That seems to take the pressure off my abs for some reason.

Still coughing up thick mucousy bloody nasty stuff from being tubed during surgery. Coughing doesn't hurt much, thank God. I'm drinking water and took some milk of magnesia last night to try and get some BM action going today. Almost went this morning....but it wasn't quite ready. Got another dose of MOM ready to go, but waiting for my morning ibuprofin to get working before I take it.

My blood iron was at a 7.1 after surgery, so it's really low. But I want to wait until I can go to the bathroom before I start iron pills. One more day should do it.

I feel better today than I did yesterday. So I expect every day I will get a bit stronger.

So far so good.....taking things one day at a time.

Juli
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:18 AM
Home from The Castle

Hi Ladies,

I had my surgery on 18th. My only fear was not waking up after the general. I didn't wake up for 2 hours and gave them all a scare. But I was a good patient and am home being relaxed after watching over the nurses like a hawk. They were great though.

This website is great for all my questions and I hope it helps many others too.

Unread 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
TVH on the 18th

Wow! This was so much easier than I expected. The worst part was waiting. I had suergery at 11am and was fully awake around two. They mhad moved me to my room and my DH was there waiting for me. The rest of the 18th was a fog of nurses checking my blood pressure and giving me iv pain meds, but I really felt fine. At 4pm I got up and tried my first little walk. It was short; I got dizzy. I tried again at 10pm, that went great. They took out the catheter then since I could walk to the bathroom. Slept through the night with my DH on the sofa bed beside me. Uneventful. I was able to get up by myself and go to the bathroom as needed on my own. Some blood in my urine at first but each time I went pee it got clearer. At 9am the doctor came in to see me. She said I looked great. They found several fibroids and evidence of adeno, but that's all gone now. I was released at 10am to go home.
The drive home was the worst. Bumpy roads.
I went to bed as soon as I got home. Slept well and felt much better later.
Today I have gone for a walk and started working on entering grades on the computer ( I am a math teacher) .
I am waiting for my first bm to happen.
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Hi, Ladies
Had a TAh/bso on Monday at 8:30. Bowel prep the day before was awful as I threw everything up the first time I took it--YUK!

Woke up after surgery that lasted an hour and a half--and don't remember a bit of it, including being wheeled out of the pre-op room--everything went fine. Got up in the room about 1-1/2 hours later, but I was pretty drowsy all that day. Ice chips only. My catheter wasn't really working, so they switched it out (What a joy!). That one wasn't working well either, so they ended up giving me at least 6 bags of fluids to get things going. Took the cath out the next am (after no sleep whatsoever!) Was in the potty every hour on the hour to get rid of all the fluids they had given me. That lasted a day and a half of heavy peeing!!

Had a crazy nurse who really ended up giving me no pain medication for most of the day! Only had clear liquids all day and kept feeling more and more nauseus. Then it all started coming back up--had dry heaves and everything. I have never felt such pain in my incision--it was awful. After several doses of anti-nausea meds through my IV, I was able to keep the pain meds down and got about 4 hours of sleep my second night in the hospital. The night nurse was great and did whatever I needed, including sitting by my bed to make sure my meds stayed down until I got to sleep. She was wonderful--why can't they all be like that?

The doctor said, despite the tiredness and nausea, I was healing well, and I came home yesterday, after eating some solids for breakfast and lunch. "Home sweet home" wasn't set up as well as I thought, and immediately sent my DH and DD out for 4 more pillows so I could re-arrange my nest. I managed to sleep about 8 hours total (YEAH!) and even got up by myself twice to pee--I didn't have to wake anyone else up.

I'm feeling much better today, just took a shower, ate a good breakfast, will do some walking, and hope for a BM today! (Isn't it funny the things that become important after surgery!) II get my staples out on Saturday, and hope to be more comfortable after that. I'm glad it's over with and am actually looking forward to this time of healing.

I thought about my sisters who were having surgery the same day. Everyone was right--the waiting is the worst part. I'm hoping for a speedy recovery, but not so anxious to get back to my 2 jobs--I'll be enjoying my time off.

S to you all and happy recoveries to you all, too!

Love,
Marilyn
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Third day out from surgery and I went back to the gym this morning. It was great to be in a familiar place (aside from my home) with familiar faces. I walked one hour on the treadmill for two miles. The girl next to me was running which is what I really wanted to do, but my body was saying - 2mph is quite enough for right now! Best part is: I didn't even work up a sweat. So I'm having a banana and going to the recliner for a nap.

Good news: the gas pains are gone! And BMs are going great. Thanks in part to my love of veggies and Miralax. Things feel like they're pulling inside but no bad pains. No idea what it could be so I have a call in to my doc's office. They told me they superglued my lap holes together and no stitches were used externally. Hmmm . . . I'm seeing three stitches on my left incision and two in the one in my belly button. The right incision is much larger than the other two and it looks like there's a black thread hanging out. Hope the nurse calls back before I fall asleep!

I know I feel great but things are only at the beginning stages of healing so I'm taking it pretty easy. Doc said I could lift up to 20 pounds but my body says no way! DH has been watching out for me and has been so sweet. We've decided two long walks a day (no more than 1 hr each) is plenty for now. Going down to watch another Tom Selleck movie : )

Take care all of you! ~ jen : )

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register