Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

Unread 09-23-2007, 02:30 PM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

My LAVH was on September 20, starting at 7:30a.

I kept both ovaries ( ) and have been home since the afternoon of Sept 21.

I am taking dilaudid every 4 hours (one tablet) plus a motrin every 6 because I have a horrible headache (either from the dilaudid or a migraine due to hormonal shifting...even though I kept my ovaries it is possible that they could be causing the bad headaches...the combo is managing my pain well, so whatever works!)

The Gas-X strips (cinnamon) have been a lifesaver for me! Also, once I got home I started taking Wild Cherry Milk of Magnesia a couple times a day (not horrible..the Wild Cherry makes it tolerable) and I had my first post-op BMs on the 22nd with no problems at all.

I had to take an oral diflucan due to yeast from the antibiotics they gave me in surgery. i rarely take anbx, maybe every 5-6y and they really mess up my belly (yeast) so my surgeon called in the diflucan for me.

I'm very tired and staying close to bed. I have been up and around the house quite a bit, some in the yard out back, lots of visitors to keep me in good spirits.

While in the hospital, one of my clients gave birth the same day of my hyster (I am a labor doula...she went overdue and my surgery was scheduled quickly and I didn't have a lot of choice on the dates so I had another doula on call for her since she went overdue.) We were at the same hospital so the day of surgery (the day she birthed) I went walking that evening and saw her new baby. I also visited the following morning before I was discharged.

I'll type more when I can stay awake longer...so far so good. I feel great, emotionally...physically I feel as good as can be expected. Some cramping, not unlike menstrual cramps-a little different but not bad. My family and friends have surrounded me since I woke from surgery and I feel so very loved and supported. I couldn't ask for a better recovery team.

to all my hyster-sisters!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 03:02 PM

Just got home today. Went in Thursday morning, keep me alittle longer in recovery in order to get the pain under control and then up to my room. Thursday night had alot of nausea and bit of vomitting just wasn't to comfortable but Friday when the IV went out and I was able to eat something I started to feel human again. I was able to keep both ovaries and my cervix and the Dr told me that all of my fibroids were the size of a soccer ball . Had a shower Saturday morning, boy did that ever feel great and home Sunday. I've already had 2 naps, 2 walks with DH and lots of water. Bowels are moving great. Now it's pamper the princess which my hubby is already doing, I'm very lucky.

The only thing I'm taking is tylenol extra strenght and gas x prn. Boy those gas pains can be quite something.
Unread 09-23-2007, 06:08 PM

I think my gas pains were the worst of the entire surgery for me. Recipe for a great BM: Miralax, water and walking!

~ jen : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 08:28 PM
LAVH for medium fibroids all on left side causing pressure on ovary/bladder/pelvis

Had LAVH (removed cervix, kept ovaries) Tues. Sept 18 9:45 am. Woke up 11:50 am and was in my hospital room by 1 pm talking with my friend and DH. By 6 pm my doctor removed my catheter and I urinated every 2 hours all night. I got up and walked on my own to the bathroom each time with my IV pole. Drank lots of water and had a liquid diet for dinner. The next morning I had a big breakfast and the doctor saw me again and discharged me. I was home by noon. Since then, I'm taking 800mg Motrin every 8 hrs and Percocet as needed. I take 1 Percocet before going to bed at night to help me sleep through the night. I go to bed around 11:30 and up by 7 am. The first night I did get up more often to pee because of the excess fluids from the IV and surgery (I was 8 lbs. heavier than pre-op). I am back to pre-op weight since yesterday. I think the Percocet gives me a headache upon waking but it goes away within an hour. The first two days I'd sleep one hour for every 3 hours I was up. After that I made sure to lie down the minute I felt a bit tired. I had a bowel movement within 24 hours of being home and regularly since then. Some gas pains once in a while, but just breathe and relax through them. Made sure to drink lots of water and ate vegetables/cereal for fiber. My overall pain is minimal. I cannot complain at all. The first day or two my back ached from the stress of walking, lying and moving in strange ways. I am walking upright today and moving well. Still have swelly belly, some soreness around the belly button incision and an occassional twinge here and there. Also, I had very little pink spotting the first day, none the 2nd/3rd and today a little light brown spotting. I rest all the time and walk around the house and patio. I climb stairs once a day slowly. My husband does the laundry, dishes and lifting pots/pans. I prepared the salad and folded laundry. He's going on a business trip tomorrow for two days and I'll need to be careful on my own. I have my first post-op Wed. and will have a friend drive me. Overall, I'd say my recovery is amazing and hope it stays that way. I'll update next week.
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:14 PM
4 days post op

Hello ladies,
Quick report. I had a TAH for large fibroid and ovaries removed due to endo. Surgery,wed 19 came home sat 22. About what I was expecting in terms of pain. The thing I was most nervous about was being put to sleep...my first time. It went well. The biggest surprise was nausea the first night which was brutal after abdominal surgery. They got it under control with reglan and phenigran(sp?) I had a mini tuck also(my gyn does on request for a small fee) and getting my drain out tomorrow at Dr office in AM.
I have been doing many short walks through house with rest in between....it really helps. I'm pretty fiesty so did a little laundry folding, hand wash dishes. Mostly just tired and no appetite. Listening to my body though and taking instructions from the ques it is giving me. DH and DD-6yr have been wonderful through it all. Keep resting ladies we should all feel much better in a couple of weeks. This web site has been great source of support and info. Hugs to all the hyster sisters. Netsky
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM
August 19th

Had a TVH and bladder tack at 6:15 am on 09/19/07. Was given an epidural at the last minute instead of general anesthesia due to the fact that I had a respitory infection and asthma attack the week before. Surgery went great. Did get an alergic reaction to the epidural and was given benadryl in my IV could not move my legs for about 6 hours after I woke up.. Unable to eat nauseated, headache and back pain.

09/20/07 Have not walked or eaten. Had a low grade fever since yesterday. Still have headache, nauseated, lower back pain. Begged doctor to send me home..finally agreed at 5:00 pm. Had to go home with the catheter. Glad to be home.

9/21/07 Well I slept last night less pain..Got up to walk this morning only made it 6 minutes before a sever headache and nausea engulfed me. I layed down and it got better... Three hours later I got up to walk and my dog ran between me and my catheter bag and pulled the catheter right out of me...Very painful..Went back to the doctor to have it re-inserted..Painfull....

9/22/07 Found out that the headaches, nausea and stiff neck are PDPH (Post-dural puncture headache) which means I am losing fluid in my spine due to the hole that was put there. This should stop when the hole heals. If it does not heal before Wednesday they will put a blood patch on it. Major bladder pain and spasms due to the trauma the day before...

9/23/07 I hate this catheter...It got twisted up during the night and I was in severe pain before and did not know why until I went to get up and see that my bag was pretty empty which was quite unusual...Fixed it and started to feel instant relief...Wednesday can't get here fast enough..I hope they remove the catheter...
Unread 09-23-2007, 09:56 PM

very much less bloated here, the gas went away on day 4, only to be followed by other more interesting pain. Found a new huge bruise below my incision. Advice to follow, but first:

to Lisa, thank you for the good advice and sympathy. It's nice just to know you're not alone.
to JenTN, I am so sorry, don't despair! It will get better! We're all different and you had endometriosis which is truly a PAIN in the you know what!

Speaking of pain, I have become accutely aware of the variety of pains one can have and some remedies that worked for me:

gas: time, walking, drinking hot liquids, gas x, heating pad/hot compress, glycerin suppository (did once in the hospital with suprising results-hope you have private room ladies!)oh and yogurt, I think the antibiotics killed all my natural gut flora and
put the old system out of whack, a little yogurt gets it going again.

burning incision pain: 10 seconds of something frozen on my incision but over clothes (example: bag of peas, pound of butter
is instantly helpful for that oops I overdid it incision pain)

ibuprofen tummy ache: 1/2 and english muffin with butter.

stiff neck/head-ache from sleeping on 10 pillows to try and get the head of the bed elevated after taking my pain pills so I don't get heartburn: slow neck rolls, heating pad. cup of hot water/boullion,soup,tea, extremel y long hot shower.

best wishes and thank you kindly,
happy healing HysterSisters
Unread 09-23-2007, 10:00 PM

That's a big fibroid, eek!
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:21 AM

I had Davinci laproscopic total hyst on the 18th. I came home from the hospital on the 19th. Today I woke up....no pain at all. The little twinges and inside pain is gone.

I am having a bit of a problem with bladder leakage. I'm going to call the dr today about that. And, I get intestinal pains/spasms right before I need to have a BM.....I'll ask about that too, but I figure it's just a bit sore down there still. I did have to take softener for a couple days when I first came home, but then switched to fresh fruit and a salad every day.

Hubby went back to work today. It was nice to have him home for the first few days. I couldn't get out of a chair on my own for the first 2 days I was home. But, every day things have gotten better. And today -- day 6 -- I am pain free.

No menopause/hormonal symptoms yet at all.
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:51 AM

Hi all!! Glad to hear everyone is doing pretty well after surgery!! I had my TAH on Sept. 18th. Everything went pretty well with the surgery...they had to take my right overy and tube because the Dr said there was "stuff' growing on them and they looked suspicious but we'll have to wait for the pathology report to know for sure what the deal was. I am feeling pretty good if I could just get rid of the crampy gas pains which are pretty annoying since I have farted and had BMs so I don't understand why that part won't go away but hopefully it will get better soon! I go to get my staples removed this morning so I think I will be a bit more comfy after they are out!! **HUGS** to all my sisters!
Jeanna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register