Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

Unread 09-24-2007, 07:03 AM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 17-Sep 24,2007

Still having nasty pain today.. had to call for pain med re fill this morning. I did find out that my surgery took over three hours instead of the 1 1/2 to 2 hours they had planned for. Maybe the reason I am still in pain has something to do with the length of the surgery? Most posts I have read on here it seems the surgery was a lot shorter.

I am getting around pretty well and walking/sitting a lot and the gas pains are a thing of the past!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2007, 07:19 AM

Had TAH/BSO with Bladder Sling on Sept. 19th in the afternoon. I was out in recovery by 3:30-5:30PM...a total blur. I got my room at 5:30 PM and "tried" to sleep but was in and out. Thankfully I had my trusty tummy pillow on the inscion. It was a vertical cut.

Sept. 20th they removed my bandage...OUCH!! It felt like they put me on fire. I started getting out of bed that day. Hurt rolling out of hospital bed especially on my feet. I could walk only a couple of doors down and had to return to my bed.

Sept. 21st...I walked the entire floor, but of course I had to hold on to tummy. I wanted to go home but had to pass gas. I had to think of all the foods that would help me accomplish this. Hospital food is the pits!

Sept. 22nd...I finally got out. I had PLENTY of gas and yes, it is good to have your own private room.

Sept. 23rd...I walked around in the house more. Getting up is easier and I could sit at the computer for a little bit.

Sept. 24th (today)...I am waiting on MR. BM to come visit. So I took a colace to help things get a move on. If not I may have to opt for a "bug bomb" suppository (I hate those things because you have no control and it's awful!).

My anitbiotic is making me nausesous (I think). Then I try to take half of my dosage of pain meds. Sometimes I get a sharp pain and I think, okay, maybe I SHOULD take the strong stuff but am reluctant to do that.

I am so looking forward to my staples being removed on Wednesday...maybe then things will take a turn for the best.

Thanks hyster sisters for being there for me. I did think about the rest of you having surgery. Hope to hear from more of you soon.
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:27 AM

Good Morning~ I had my TAH on Tues. the 18th and came home on Thurs. I have been up and around until my body tells me it's time to rest. I finally have a regular bowel regimen again. My abdomen feels numb around the incision but otherwise all is well. My MD says not to drive for 3 weeks. I do have considerable pain w/ movement. I'm assuming this is to be expected 1 week post-op.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2007, 07:37 AM

You know, I was thinking that I was having bladder leakage my 4th night post op and 5th day. I immediately started doing Kegel exercises and now on day 8 I think it stopped. I've been wearing a pad every day so it's hard to tell if I'm doing it or not. I only noticed when I went to bed without undies one night and found myself damp in the middle of the night. The next day I went without a pad and found my undies wet. Okay, some may find this gross, but I touched and smelled it. No odor and no color. Figured it was pee leaking. Will call my doc today too.
Unread 09-24-2007, 08:15 AM

I had my LSH 9/21, and I have to say as far as the surgery and recovery goes, I feel great. Other than a twinge here and there, and some very manageable pressure, I feel fine. The swelly belly seems to be going down slowly. I do however, Have an upper respiratory thing, and I have been coughing like crazy. I have to hold my belly when I cough.

Unread 09-24-2007, 10:12 AM

I had LAVH/BSO on Sept 18th. Today I had my first Dr visit post op. Things went very well. I can start driving tomorrow and was able to take my dogs for a walk today. They were so excited. She told me to not let them pull at me but they did some. My incisions are starting to heal. I'm stll bleeding some and she said that it was normal for 3 or 4 weeks. I am going back to work in 2 more weeks. I can't say that I am excited about getting back but I do miss my students. I am feeling so much better now. I'm glad that I went through this.
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:44 PM

I had TVH on the 18th. I have had a pretty good recovery so far. Surgery was at 11am on Tuesday and I went home at 9am on Wednesday. Gas pains and mild cramping. The worst thing was the bumpy drive home. Had my first bm on day three. That felt great. Have been going two times a day since. Have been tired and had some painful twinges off and on, but have felt better after lying down and resting. Light pink spotting started on day 4, but nothing worse. I can't believe it has been 7 days now. I am hand washing light dishes, and folding clothes. DH and DS are doing the rest. Meals have been interesting. We are in the middle of a total downstairs remodel and I have to go downstairs at least once a day to see how everything is coming along. I try to encorporate a walk in the gardens at that time. We have ten acres. Felt a little depressed and guilty on days 5 and 6 because I am not doing anything to help, but feel better today. Gas pains are finally over with. Still have twinges of pully pain off and on. I am spending 2/3's of my daytime in bed. Have not taken pain pills except at night for days. The only thing really bugging me is that me arms and hands feel tingly like I am recovering from them going to sleep. What's up with that? Is that normal? Maybe I need to change the position I sleep in. I sleep on my side with lots of pillows.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I'm on day 7 post op. Things are going pretty well. I don't need the pain meds any longer - for pain anyway. I'm still taking the ibuprofen just for its anti inflammatory properties and I take a Vicodin at night only to ensure a good night's sleep. I've been walking about 3.5 miles a day split into two walks, one in the morning and one after lunch. BMs have been great but I'm drinking lots of water and use Miralax. Was using that every day but have cut back to every other day now.

Was having issues with urine leaking. I've been wearing a pad every day despite no post-op bleeding - just being cautious I guess. But I went without undies one night and woke up wet. The next day I went without the pad and ended up with wet undies. Today I went to my doc's office and had the nurse remove those irritating stitches from my three lap incisions. I asked about the leaky bladder and she took a urine sample to rule out bladder infection. She said that it usually takes about a full week to get anesthesia out of you. The bowel and bladder are usually the last to fully recover. She also said that the leakage was most likely a result of the bladder "waking up" and as a result spasms. The spasms cause the leakage. Regardless, I'm still unhappy about it and keep doing Kegels for the heck of it.

I also got clearance to go back to work doing light duty and office work only. Yeah, that'll take about an hour a week. Being a paramedic I have to wait at LEAST the 6 weeks to return to work full time.

As far as aches, pains and weird feelings. I have a pulling sensation behind my belly button (incision site) and a weird pain in my right hip and right side at the bottom of the rib cage area. Feels like a cramp and the nurse had no idea. She said to continue to take it easy but encouraged my walks. She also reiterated what my doc said on my day of hospital discharge: 20 pound limit on lifting. I haven't lifted anything heavier than a gallon of milk. I feel great and long to go back to the gym, but I also realize I had a large organ removed and am still healing. I think I'll stick to walking until my first official post-op visit on Oct 5.

I also got my pathology report today. Nothing too out of the ordinary so as to cause all the problems I was having with pain and all. My uterus was about the size of a 12 week pregnancy with many different sizes and types of fibroids. No endo. One interesting thing to note. I was diagnosed with chronic cervicitis. If you search this website for this problem I find that I'm not alone in being diagnosed with this for the first time by pathology after my hyst. Something to ask the doc about later . . . I kept my ovaries but lost my appendix. No biggie I suppose.

Oh yeah! I drove for the first time today. Whew what a blast! I was speeding all the way through town but it felt SO good! Now I just have to find out when I can get back on my motorcycle. Hopefully before it snows!

Anyway - my best to you all. Good luck with your recovery and a successful return to a "normal" life!

~ jen : )
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:25 PM

Hi all,
My surgery was sept 17th. I had a TAH/BSO. Pretty extensive surgery because I had BAD adhesions from endometriosis, fibroids, and cysts. All those lovely things showed up as "suspicious malignant ovarian mass" on MRI before surgery. In additon to fear about surgery, I was scared to death of the outcome of the biopsy. Turned out everything is fine. I am so grateful!! Recovery was easy because I think I had an exceptional medical team. My surgery was more complicated and took longer than a normal hysterectomy. I did not feel much pain after surgery. However the next day is a different story!!!! I think I overdid it with the walking!!! Tried the spit bath at the sink and thought I was going to die! So much pain later on as well. Found out I was allergic to dilaudid in the pump. I was just managed on percocet. With the type of surgery I had, percocet obviously was not enough. I was finally given toradol which helped tremendously. I came home 9/20. Now I can sit at the computer typing instead of being on my laptop FLAT! Pain is pretty much gone, just some discomfort if I try to do too much. Love being in my PJs the whole day! Give me a few days I will be out of my mind with boredom! I do not watch TV so I think books will be my salvation. Glad it is over and so glad to have found this site. I did think of all the ladies who have surgery on the same day with me and said a huge prayer for all of us!!!!
Unread 09-25-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldang31
Hi all,
My surgery was sept 17th. I had a TAH/BSO. Pretty extensive surgery because I had BAD adhesions from endometriosis, fibroids, and cysts. All those lovely things showed up as "suspicious malignant ovarian mass" on MRI before surgery. In additon to fear about surgery, I was scared to death of the outcome of the biopsy. Turned out everything is fine. I am so grateful!! Recovery was easy because I think I had an exceptional medical team. My surgery was more complicated and took longer than a normal hysterectomy. I did not feel much pain after surgery. However the next day is a different story!!!! I think I overdid it with the walking!!! Tried the spit bath at the sink and thought I was going to die! So much pain later on as well. Found out I was allergic to dilaudid in the pump. I was just managed on percocet. With the type of surgery I had, percocet obviously was not enough. I was finally given toradol which helped tremendously. I came home 9/20. Now I can sit at the computer typing instead of being on my laptop FLAT! Pain is pretty much gone, just some discomfort if I try to do too much. Love being in my PJs the whole day! Give me a few days I will be out of my mind with boredom! I do not watch TV so I think books will be my salvation. Glad it is over and so glad to have found this site. I did think of all the ladies who have surgery on the same day with me and said a huge prayer for all of us!!!!

I have a whole stack of books waiting on me I finally get to finish the Scarpetta series.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register