Cone Biopsy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Cone Biopsy?

I thought it would be best to post this in the cancer section.

I had a subtotal hyst on 8/31 for a ruptured and enlarged uterus. I was scheduled for TAH but my cervix was completely adhered to my bladder and so couldn't be removed.

I read my notes at the castle and they said I had a reverse cone biopsy, (which I presume is taken from the abdomen not the vagina) and the epithelium was thickened the surface smooth and the cervix was surrounded by fierce blood vessels.
The consultant who did the surgery did not tell me about this and when I asked his registrar on his rounds why the cone biopsy was done, he said he didn't know why, to speak to my gyn (consultant).

I don't see my gyn until 10/18 and quite worried about this. My Mum had CC at 27, the same age I am now.

Does a cone biopsy mean I have/had cancer or precancer?

Sorry for the long story!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2007, 10:51 AM
Cone Biopsy?

hello, worriedsister. I'm sorry to hear you needed surgery! first of all, if you have questions and concerns, i would recommend that you call your doctor. you shouldn't need to wait a month to get questions answered!

it sounds like you had the cone biopsy as a surgical method because of your unique situation rather than because you had dysplasia or cancer. Usually, a cone biopsy is done for cervical dysplasia or cancer when there has already been a biopsy done (via colposcopy) that indicated the need for the surgery. It doesn't sound like this is the case for you.

they always do pathology reports on anything that is removed from your body, so you'll get results to show what they found, which could be normal results.

and, i'm sorry that your mother had had cervical cancer. i hope she's a survivor! you may want to know that cervical cancer is not hereditary; it's caused by hpv, human papilloma virus. there may be hereditary trends towards having a poor immune system, but one needs to have hpv to develop cervical cancer, and this wouldn't be a family trait.

best wishes.
Unread 09-19-2007, 02:44 AM
Cone Biopsy?

Thankyou catwoman..

Firstly, Yes my Mum is a survivor of 27 years, She had a TAH and kept her ovaries.

I had my first pap when I was 18 and always had abnormal smears. I had a colposcopy 4/5 years ago and it was completely normal. My paps since have been normal. I am just wondering if this doc took the biopsy as routine, i.e because he couldn't remove the cervix or because it looked abnormal, which is the impression I got from my notes.

I know this cancer is not hereditary, but I suppose I am so worried because it is so close.

Thankyou agin for your support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register