Cervix or Not to Cervix That is the Question. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix or Not to Cervix That is the Question. Cervix or Not to Cervix That is the Question.

Unread 09-18-2007, 03:57 PM
Cervix or Not to Cervix That is the Question.

I am not sure about all of the details yet but I want to be totally prepared when I schedule! Should I keep my cervix or remove it?!?!? I have no idea about the purpose and reasons for taking it or keeping it!

A little about my background- I have had terrible periods, heavy and painful since age 12. My sex life has been a disaster...my husband and I can not have relations due to the pain. I have never had a pleasant experience with intercorse. Infact I cringe at the thought and it is NOT fair to my husband.

What would be better to have a healthy and possibly enjoyable sex life after the Hysto?!?!

Please Help me I am too young to give up completely on my sex life! My poor hubby has been so supportive and loving through all of this! And I need to think of him too! PLUS I HAVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT HOW GREAT IT CAN BE AND I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO THAT POINT!!!! HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2007, 04:03 PM

First thing, you may want to take your full name out of your sig line.

I'm debating the keep the cervix vs. taking it. I'm having rectocele repair, bladder repair and hyst abdominally. My surgeon said she *could* leave it but that studies had shown there is no real benefit to leaving it. Then again, googling shows there *is* benefit. Oy vey.
Unread 09-18-2007, 04:09 PM

I opted to have mine removed this past June with everything else. So far I haven't missed it. Actually I don't know what I would be missing. Sex has been great with out it. My doctor said too many times he has had to go back in and take it out and there is no real benefit to keeping it. Who knows? I guess it just comes down to your choice.

Good luck with your surgeries ladies!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2007, 04:14 PM

As you have both endo and adeno, it may be best to have your cervix removed. The cervix is the bottom portion of the cervix and thus can have endometrial lining on the cervix. This lining could have adneo and it could allow cells to become endo.

Because of endo, my cervix was removed. I never paid attention to it prior to my hyst and I haven't missed it a bit! Sex has been just fine.

Talk to your doctor about what is best for you. We each have different circumstances so we each have to make the best decision for us.

s
Unread 09-18-2007, 04:17 PM

No endo here. "Just" cystocele, rectocele and prolapse.
Unread 09-18-2007, 04:39 PM

Hi Freyja24!

A fairly recent scientific study, conducted by a university, shows that hysterectomy patients who have their cervix removed are no more likely to experience sexual difficulties or urinary or bowel problems after surgery than women who have only their uterus removed. You can read more about it here:

Total Versus Sub-Total Hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy which means my cervix was removed. I never was really “aware” of my cervix before my surgery, so losing it made no difference to me.

Others, who retained their cervix, claim that keeping it has been a benefit to them. However, since they have never experienced life without a cervix, they have nothing with which to compare it. Perhaps they would also be pleased with their surgical results if their cervix had been removed.

If you are a patient who has a choice whether or not to keep your cervix, I hope that, in partnership with your doctor, you choose the option that ends up being the best one for you.

Many s and Best Wishes,
Unread 09-18-2007, 09:43 PM

MsFrankie thank you for your concern...but that is not my full name! Just first and middle!!! Well my family calles me brittany freyja almost like it is one name! Thank you for all of your comments I hope alll goes well for you too!

dinordh, Weiser, & Bizet Woman, thank you for your comments and advise I am just trying to be the most educated as possible. I want to know the most about what is going to happen to my body! Thank you... Thank you... Thank you... I am afraid of leaving the cervix due to the endometriosis and all. but time will tell and hopefully my Dr will help with some good advises too! thanks again!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register