What is the Standard for Post-Op Care?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is the Standard for Post-Op Care?? What is the Standard for Post-Op Care??

Unread 09-20-2007, 07:34 AM
What is the Standard for Post-Op Care??

Does anyone know what is the standard care to be expected after hysterectomy?

Is there a "Standard of Care" published by the Association of Gynocologists etc.?

Is it 2 week and 6 week checkup minimum and more as needed?

Does it include an internal exam, always?

Any published references would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 11:25 AM

I have no idea about publications. My doctor checked my incision at 2 weeks and did an internal exam at 6 weeks.
Unread 09-20-2007, 11:49 AM
Standard of Care--Good Question

I think it would be helpful if the surgeon gives you a hand out about what to expect in the coming days and weeks following surgery, and what situations/conditions warrant a call. Just from reading so many blogs I see this is a common problem. The discharge instructions from the hospital were minimal--they did not even mention how long I could drive and the carbon copy was blurry.

I had a two week check up following a LAVH. I asked the nurse what I should expect and she said they normally do not do a physical exam at two weeks. You talk to the doctor and he/she reviews the pathology report with you. I ended up having a physical exam of the vaginal area because I was bleeding some although not heavily. I think doctors are all different, so some may do a physical exam as a matter of course. By the way, with two sets of stitches (also had a TVT) I expected the exam to hurt and it did not. I was told the six week exam would definitely involve a physical exam.

I was released to drive so long as I am not taking narcotics. I think the doctor was more concerned about driving restrictions due to narcotic drug taking than what effect driving a manual transmission would have on me.

If you find some guidelines, please post back and let me know. I've been doing pretty well, but yesterday I was out for four hours (even though most of the time was spent sitting on a sofa), I came home and had to go to bed for three hours because I began having lower back spasms (never had them before) and abdominal pain. I had abdominal pain all through the night, too. What to expect in the pain area appears to be a very individual matter, but I, too, would like to know more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2007, 12:37 PM

i dont know that anything is published. all dr's have different time lines. i saw mine about a month after surgery and had an internal. i was bleeding so i'm not sure whether or not he wouldve done the internal if i wasnt.
Unread 09-20-2007, 01:39 PM

My doc gave me a pamphlet (it was about 10 pages long I think) that walked me thru the entire thing from various diagnoses, to options, to all the different types of hysterectomies to recovery. Check with your doctor's office for a pamphlet or call around to other gynecologists (they're happy to hand out literature).

As for my experience, I had my surgery on a Friday and the following Friday (1 week post op) I had to go have my staples removed -- she also told me I could drive if I wanted, but the first time I should be with another licensed driver in case I got tired or sore, so they could take over. Then I went back at 4 wks post op for an internal exam yesterday and got the GO AHEAD to go back to work next Wednesday (I was cleared to go back now, but I took a little extra ME time)

The internal exam was basically to see how well I was healing up there. Doc told me my stitches had dissolved and my suture scabs (ick) were nearly healed completely.

After that... doc told me "see you in a year!". So that was that for me...

Hope that helps!!

Unread 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM

I have the same issues. I am 4 weeks into recovery. I did go back to work in two weeks my dr said if you sit all day that I could go back. I had a total hysterectomy. My stomach is still sore. Is this normal. I have no idea. I called the Dr and he said that all women are different in their recovery. He told me that I should be feeling good. Yeah right. How long does the spotting last does anyone know.
Unread 09-20-2007, 04:48 PM

Here Is Some Help for You Guys but Make Sure You Also Check with Your Doctor and Yes Everyone Is Diifrent...

Please Go under the Tab above That Says Post Op and When You Get to That Page Look on the Right Side of the Page about at 1:00 O'clock and You Will See These Options That I Have Listed Below.........They Help So Much and the Check Points Can Also Be Sent to You Automatically via E-mail

Post Op Discussions
Post Op Articles
Post Op Links
Checkpoint Weeks 1-2
Checkpoint Weeks 3-4
Checkpoint Weeks 5-6

Good Luck to All......
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Checked most of the post op info and cannot find what to expect at doctors appointment and frequency of checkups etc.. This would be a nice addition to this site, so we know what to expect from our doctor.

Thanks!
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:34 PM

Hi!

Post-op appointment frequency varies from doctor to doctor--I don't think you're going to find a set standard that applies to everyone. Recoveries from the various types of hysterectomies vary as do the rate at which patients heal. If you want to know what to expect from your doctor as far as how often you'll be seen and what will be done at each appointment, it's definitely worth a call to ask.

My doctor told me in advance I'd be seen a few days after surgery to have my staples removed, then again at I think 2, 4 and 6 weeks. If there were any concerns, I could be seen more frequently both before and after those timelines.

I hope this helps!

s
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:01 PM

I agree...each doctor is different...each procedures is different and each patient is different. Nothing cookie cutter. It all depends on what was done specifically and who the doctor is dealing with.

I had an SAH

I had staples and stitches removed on day 2 when I was discharged.
I was instructed to listen to my body and take it easy. Steri strips were applied vertically to my horizontal incision. I was told to remove them side to side after one week (probably because of less pull on the horizontal incision).
I removed them on day 9.
I was instructed to see doctor 2 weeks but during the recovery he said "ah..come in tomorrow" so I actually saw him on day 11. He looked at the incision and did an internal exam and said come back in a month.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register