immune system | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

immune system immune system

Unread 07-07-2001, 04:18 AM
immune system

Hi ladies!!

I am so happy to have you to lean on!!

Can anyone share with me what they use to help strengthen their immune system to fight HPV?

What weakens it in the first place??

Any info shared is obviously your opinions, yet I know how well read you ladies are!!

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-07-2001, 05:40 AM
immune system

Hi transplant, what I say here is only my opinion and experience, any herbs or supplements you take must really be discussed with your Dr.

First of all, to strenthen my immune system I take a herbal mixture which is prepared for my individual needs by a naturopath. The supplements I take are CoQ10, zinc, folate. I also take up to 3000mg of Vit C. Most of these are antioxidants as well.

Outbreaks of HPV are usually caused by stress. Try to rid yourself of that . If only we lived in a perfect world.

I am going to do abit more research for you and will let you know of other immune building herbs.

You take good care and I am so pleased that you find us a great help. That is what we are all here for. xx
Unread 07-08-2001, 04:26 AM
immune system

Hi Robyn,
As I think back to my first abnormal (ever!) papsmear in March '99, I had just been through one of the most stressful times in my life with a major move which I didn't want to do. And now this second abnormal papsmear in March of '01, is following the year my mom was very sick and died!! The most devastating experience of my life!! In both those times, I was stressed as I never knew possible. Maybe that's what triggered the HPV.

I or my husband must have been carrying this dormantly for at least 16 years!! We never had warts or any visible signs other than these 2 abnormal paps!! He still doesn't have any signs. He is going to the dr. in 2 weeks for a physical and maybe we'll know more then. But there is nothing the naked eye can see.

Does anyone know, if (and he must by now) be carrying this virus, after my hysterectomy, can he reinfect me? I know, a virus stays with you forever, but could it be made more dominant by being exposed to it over and over after hysterectomy???

Just one more question, Does anyone know what else might weaken your immune system?

Have a lovely day!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-08-2001, 05:58 AM
immune system

Hello transplant,
I had no warts either with my HPV. Just an abnormal pap.

I don't think he can reinfect you as you will still have the virus.

I thought you would like to read this post about HPV that was started a few months ago:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=25350

Lots of other things can weaken your immune system : illness and being run down can do it as well. I know glandular fever is a big culprit in weakening your immune system.

I hope this has helped a little and I am still looking for the other herbs to help you. Take care and let us know how you are going xx
Unread 07-08-2001, 08:54 PM
immune system

Hi, again!

You're asking some great questions. Unfortunately, I can't answer them all.

This virus can have a very long dormancy period. They say some women probably carry it for 30 years before showing any symptoms. It just kind of hides out and waits for an opportune moment to take hold.

I did ask my doctor about my husband as well (who has been checked already). He says there's a 50% chance that he has it (I figured since we've been together 20 years, surely he would have it, even if I happened to be the one who got it in the first place). If your DH gets a really good exam, not only will they check him with a magnifying glass, but they will apply a mild acetic acid solution (vinegar) to the area and let it sit a few minutes before looking. Some docs don't do this on men though, but I've read about it. They call this (very creatively) the "vinegar test" and they use it on women as well when they are looking for areas to biopsy when our PAPs are abnormal. Apparently it changes the appearance of the abnormal cells and they respond differently to light so you can see them. Apparently there's really no other assessment they can do since this particular strain does not tend to cause growths--only cellular changes. And men just don't typically seem to have any big problems with it. There are only a few hundred cases of penile cancer in the world--it's very rare.

Hard to say about getting reinfected. If all of the infected cells were removed, then technically you would not have HPV in your system anymore. But you're assuming that all of the infected cells are removed. And there's a fair chance that a few stray cells might remain that have the virus hiding out in them--whether or not those cells later become abnormal is impossible to guess. Which is why it's important to keep having your smears. So my best guess is that you're already infected and your immune system should be taking care of anything new that might pop up.

Stress is also known to weaken your immune system. That's probably why we get problems during times of stress. I actually had my first abnormal PAP 14 years ago, and that was following a time of tremendous personal stress for me. Then I did well for 10 years and had the next abnormal PAP when my dad was diagnosed with cancer and died shortly thereafter. Then this latest one came up when I was finishing up the requirements for my Master's degree and I was taking 2 classes while working full-time. I'm starting to see a pattern here, and I'm thinking maybe I won't pursue my Doctorate--that sounds REALLY stressful right now.

Well, I've really blabbed on here. Hope some of this helps.

Unread 07-09-2001, 04:28 AM
immune system

My concern is what the chances are that my ds is a carrier or my dd may have problems later too. It is always so hard when the answers aren't plain and simple!
Unread 07-09-2001, 05:41 PM
immune system

Dear Cyd,
Oh you are so right!! What if I've passed this on to my children!! I never even thought of that, I've been so self absorbed! There is so much I need to find out!!
Unread 07-09-2001, 07:27 PM
immune system

It would be very unlikely that you have passed it on to your children. Out of all infected mothers, 1 in 1000 births it is transmitted to the baby and it usually affects their vocal cords. I've not been able to locate anything that says babies acquire genital HPV from the birth process.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register