6 weeks post op TVH - need some advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6  weeks  post  op  TVH  -  need  some  advice 6 weeks post op TVH - need some advice

Unread 09-23-2007, 06:33 PM
6 weeks post op TVH - need some advice

I have a question about the swelly belly. I had a TVH 6 weeks ago. And right away, my weight went up about 5 lbs. and my stomach was swollen. I did have extra stitches my doctor said because there was a problem in surgery and I had alot of bleeding. SO I understand the swelling. But starting last week I began to drink double the water I was before and my weight has gone down a couple of lbs. But my stomach seems to be bigger now than before. I also was given the go away last week to return to doing things. So could it be over doing it or what? Need some advice!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2007, 11:03 PM

I am sorry, I don't have an answer for you, but I hope you feel better soon!!!
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:36 AM

3Angel, I am 7 weeks post op today. The swelly belly changed into a jelly belly, I did notice on days I did alot it would swell up by the end of the day, If you have any pain or alot of discomfort I would call your doc. Even though you've been given the go ahead to do other things the inside is still healing.
take care of yourself and listen to your body it will let you know to rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2007, 06:56 AM

Thanks for the responses. It is so hard to take it easy when you are so use to being so busy and on the go all the time. But I will try to get off my feet more often. Hope you guys are healing nicley! Thanks
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:28 AM

Hi 3angel
I agree with what has been shared here. This swelling is pretty normal for a while, everyone is a little bit different, but as the day wears on you're probably going to see it for a while.

Six weeks is relatively early in the complete healing process. Your incisions are healed but that tissue all around is still healing. I found it helped if I could stop and rest for short intervals during the day. When you feel you're starting to need to push yourself, stop and rest. I know that's not always easy, but it does help. Good luck with this. Drinking your water is always a good idea and will help with water retention.
's, Rita
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:29 AM

Mine swells up more at night (especially after I go to the gym). Believe it or not, water helps to keep swelling down.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM

I am 8 weeks post total abdominal hysterectomy and RSO. (had LSO previously). I still get swelly belly by the end of the day or if I wear something that seems to land just below my belly button! I also still have that numb feeling if something pushes on my stomach etc.
Unread 09-24-2007, 05:34 PM

I am nearing the 6 week post op mark and I had to see my Dr. because of water retention. I had noticed I was up 18lbs. on my 3rd week so I called my Dr. he put me on a diuretic, and wanted me to follow up with my GP. which I did. My swollen belly had me so concerned. All of my water retention has cleared up, I am down 15 lbs. I will own the 3 pounds because I have quit smoking and am snacking more than usual. I purchased the swelly belly band and have been using it all week. Between the two my tummy feels nearly normal. I am feeling so grateful.
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:23 PM
Added problem

I am still having the swelly belly, but an added problem now is leg pain. I started having this little pain in my left leg in the lower part, just figured it was maybe being to active. But today I have had shooting pains down both legs off and on ,from top of leg down to knees, more so on the left. I went to bed and after 2 hours it didn't stop, so I decided it was time to call the dr. office. Nurse called me back, talked to my doctor and said I need to go in the morning to have an ultrasound on my legs. They are trying to rule out blood clot. They said if they find anything, I will be staying at the hospital, if nothing is found I have to see my family dr. I'm feeling frustrated and just want to cry.
Unread 09-24-2007, 06:28 PM

3 angel lots of prayers that all will be fine.
please let us know how it goes.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register