Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007 - Page 24 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007

Unread 10-17-2007, 08:29 AM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007

First time to post a message on this board. I was lucky enough to stumble across the site.

I just had an abdominal total hysterectomy on 10/10/07 and seem to be doing well. I am still having pain, but am not sure what all to expect after the surgery. I am drinking lots of fluids and walking as much as possible.

Don't ask me how, but I was actually able to get my fiance' to create a princess suite in our bedroom. I have everything I need upstairs and am getting in my walking up and down the hallways and extra rooms. What can I expect from this point on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 08:51 AM

Masalina, I would be careful about doing aerobics while your back is hurting. check with your doctor and get yourself checked out. maybe you just need to do some situps to support the back, but maybe you have some other issue that needs looked at.
Sit-ups, crunches and lifting the butt off the floor with knees bent while lying supine, (on back) help me when the small of my back is hurting between my hips. however, if it is somewhere else, or if it is a shooting pain rather than an ache then check with a doctor about exercise. All of those exercises help strengthen the stomach muscles which support the back muscles.
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:03 AM

A froggers, At the top of the post op opening page, there is a list on the right Middle which says Checkpoints and lists what you should not be doing, what you can expect and etc for weeks 1-2. try that to start. It is a big help.
If you can't find it go to the top of this page, and click on the tiny post-op link in the darker blue band at the top, right under the Hystersisters logo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 09:13 AM

I just experienced a frightening incident for the second time in the past week. My incision opened up during my sleep and my bed was covered in blood. The "dear" BF freaked out and blamed me for the nightmares he had because of it - but I digress. I have determined that I was taking showers that were a bit too hot and it was disolving the clots in my incision. Not big openings but enough to scare me to death. I think all is well now. Just be careful not to put too much heat or stand with your tummy in direct flow of the shower head. This was really scary at 2:00 a.m.!! Otherwise, I'm still feeling real tight if I sit too long. I live blocks from a wonderful park we have here in the city and try to walk every other day or so which seems to help. Still don't have much of an appetite either. Anyone experiencing the same thing?
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:07 AM

My TAH was sept.27th, I spotted a couple days after that and have had nothing for two weeks. Still on pain meds which make me sick to my stomach and also very tired.

Maureen
Unread 10-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Heather, are all your steri-strips gone? and the incision is opening? I thought once all the steri-strips were gone we could let the water hit the incision. I'll have to be more careful if this is what happens.

My incision has yellow gummy scabs over it on some places and I'm experiencing stinging pains on either side of that. yesterday it was the right side, today it is the left side. I'm on antibiotics in case it is infected.

I'm hoping all it is is something like yours. Thanks for posting that. Kitty.
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Heather - sorry about your incision. I turned over on my stomach this morning and felt a terrible pain and thought mine had opened, but it had not - whew. That would be scary.
As for my appetite, oh my gosh, it's awful. I thought I would be gaining weight because of the sudden menopause, but it has been just the opposite. I have lost about 7 pounds since the surgery for a total of 16 pounds, since I scheduled it. And I am a little thing. So I'm trying to eat better. It's hard when you don't feel hungrey. Any suggestions out there?
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:25 AM

KittyF and Mo1961,

Yes, the steri-strips are all gone and unless you look for the two little spots on the incision where I still have scabs (maybe 1/4th of an inch long) you would not even know they made an incision. Just those two little spots that have caused me the biggest headache. Guess we just have to be real careful. When mine opens up my abdomen starts hurting like I've been soccer punched so I've learned to take luke warm showers only letting the water hit me on the back as much as possible and it seems to be helping. Note - if this happens to anyone I found the simplest of solutions to stop the bleeding immediately. Just take a little corner of a tissue and gently press it on the opening placing a steri-strip on top to keep it in place. It will stop almost immediately. Don't pull it off - let it fall off in the shower or by itself.

As far as eating, if you all have any suggestions, please share!! Mo1961 - I can't figure out how to make myself eat either. Right now I'm very lightheaded and have been for about 3 days now and I know it's because I'm just not eating enough.

Hope everyone is progressing slowly and listening to your body!!
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:30 AM

Maureen, sometimes my girls, who are also skinny, tell me they aren't hungry but if they start eating, as in "I'll have a little bit cause I haven't eaten in a while" they find they ARE hungry.

try eating a little bit, maybe a little bit every two hours. or try taking a part of a Nutrition shake like ensure with every meal. they say your body doesn't recognize the calories you drink so that might help. Maybe a carnation instant breakfast would be an economical option if you can't afford Ensure. (who can, really?)
Unread 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM

Kitty, Heather, MO1961,

I had a difficult time eating as well for a tme. I lost 4 or 5 pounds, but as soon as I stopped taking the pain meds (prescribed ones) I regained my appetite. I'm still not eating as much but I'm not nearly as active as I was before surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register