Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007 - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007 Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007

Unread 10-05-2007, 04:52 AM
Hysterectomy dates Sep 24-Oct 01,2007

I dont know about driving, however after having a tah on 9-24-07 I still have serious pain due to gas. Can anyone suggests anything that will help? I am already taking gasx I also watch what I eat but everything seems to cause gas To all of you thanks for the advice during my surgery this web site has been the only place Ive received help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 07:40 AM

Hi Leolady,
My doctor said no driving for 2 weeks and my follow up in 4 weeks. I was bad and snuck out yesterday to go see my doctor and drove and was so tense when I got home I'm not sure it was worth it. I'm going to give it one more week before driving again.
Unread 10-05-2007, 07:52 AM

I'm 9 days post op and still having pain on bm and urination but not as bad as it has been lately. I gave in and tok some Oxycodone last night ot help me sleep and am now dealing with a bad headache and general fuzziness.
I've been avoiding the Oxy because it constipates me and I also have 800 ibuprofin but that was making me feel sick, even though I was cutting the pills in 1/2.

I have a constant hard pain on my left side and strangely, it feels as though my leg doesn't connect right with my hip when I walk. Could just have been stress from the operation, I'm going to give it a little more time.

I am still shaking my head over the hospital! Things went well until after surgery. The bed I was in, and I have no idea how I got into it, (great anesthesia!) had sheets that were threadbare. They told me not to take my meds before the operation so I didn't but they never gave them to me later on. I had nothing to eat and just some water and ginger ale all day. The nurse said she was withholding the broth at dinner because it was too strong for me, even though the Dr had ordered it.

I did get some decent food the next day but they still hasn't given me my meds. I didn't get my synthroid until after I ate breakfast and never got my omeprazole. I thought I could tough it out on the Ompe but the dinner that night was some kind of dry chicken breast in a red glaze. I was so hungry I ate it all but then had to plead with them at 11pm that night for some antacids

Then they took the cath out the next day and the nurse was supposed to help me get a shower. She left towels and never showed back up except for once when I paged her to let her know I had made it to the bathroom and urinated (she needed to record he volume). Finally got a shower by myself on Friday, the day I was going home. The towels were thin and all pulled loops, really bad. The shower water leaked out into the room and I had to put the towels down so I wouldn't slip.

I was told that there were problems witht he nursing staff in this area because they were all displaced facotry workers who just took the free training but had no heart for nursing. Now, I believe it. One nurse smelled so bad from cigarette smoke, I didn't even want her to touch me! You know what their biggest concern was? That I had left my light on over my bed. I had to keep stopping them from turning it off. I wanted it left on so I could read during my periods of wakefulness and there was no way to turn it on and off from the bed. Since I had a cath and an IV there was n way that I could get out of bed to turn it on every time I woke up.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. I wish you all a speedy recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 07:56 AM
Driving Post Op

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherPilar
Hi Leolady,
My doctor said no driving for 2 weeks and my follow up in 4 weeks. I was bad and snuck out yesterday to go see my doctor and drove and was so tense when I got home I'm not sure it was worth it. I'm going to give it one more week before driving again.
I had a total hysto, OO, with bikini cut 9/26. I saw my Dr 10/1 to get the staples out and she said I could drive as long as I didn't sit in the car over an hour. Of course, since I have no desire to go anywhere right now, that's a moot point but just listen to your body and when you feel you can handle it, do it. My driving is not heavy traffic so maybe that's the difference.
Unread 10-05-2007, 08:09 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experience in the hospital December 05. I can't say mine was much better and hate to hear you had one too. I had a TAO/BSO on the 24th and while the recovery room was good, the help I received once in my room was awful. They had a student nurse on my floor who didn't lift a finger to help me out of bed. The night nurse had removed my cath and I had to go potty and this student nurse didn't have a clue how to help me. I got frustrated and just asked her to leave and I would wait for my mom to arrive to help me. Well when she left she put the nurses call box on one side of the room and my Dilauted machine on the other side of the room. Sooo, I couldn't get my meds and I couldn't call the nurse. The next night they put my dinner on the rolling tray which was wrapped around the hoses on the leg wraps I was wearing. Ever time I tryed to pull the tray to me my legs got pulled off the bed. Only took them 40 minutes to respond to me. UGHH!!!! And this always has been a wonderful hospital.

Anyway, I digress. I think you have it right. Listen to your body. If you don't feel as thought you should be driving or any other kind of activity, don't do it. It's just not worth it.
Unread 10-05-2007, 09:13 AM

Heather

thank you, yeah the gas is tolerable now, my elbows have healed from using them to lift myself up on the "hospital" sheets. my back and left side hurt the most when i am in pain, but i a getting better each day. i hope you are feeling better as well as all my hyster sisters.....i think this was well worth it in the future.....muah and good luck
Unread 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM

Hey

Calm down with the driving ok, it seems we can do those things but yourbody tells you otherwise, how do i know? i tried to run up to the store third day home and you are correct the tension doing something wrong and the bending to get in a suv. slow down and heal, it gets broing but if you are midwest, moring walks are enjoyable this time...take care
Unread 10-05-2007, 09:27 AM

Ladyleo
I think you are right - my mom drove me to the shops today and just from walking around for two hours I am exhausted this afternoon - I'm not in the mid-west I'm in sunny south africa except its been raining non-stop for almost a week
Leolady
Unread 10-05-2007, 09:46 AM

Ladies,
I went to see my doctor about the unusual discharge from my breast and in case anyone experiences the same thing, it actually has a name. Galactorrhea. I was on two birth control pills for the past 10 years and added one Premarin a day for the past 6 months and apparently this can happen when your body goes through such a big hormonal change. Learn something new every day. Hope this helps if someone is experiencing the same thing.
Have a wonderful day!
Unread 10-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Gas pains

helpat409, For the gas try one or two Peppermint tea bags (Peppermint leaves, NOT black tea with peppermint flavoring which can make you more constipated) in boiling water. Steep for NO more than 5 minutes and try to keep the essential oils in by placing a lid or saucer on the top of your cup. drink this and it should help your gas.

It relaxes your gut to both help with the pain, and allow the gas to escape easier. if you need to you can have more every couple of hours, or a cup with each meal, whatever works. Kitty

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register