Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out" | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out" Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out"

Unread 09-24-2007, 06:24 AM
Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out"

Does that sound right?

I started spotting pinkish 1.5 weeks ago. I went to the Dr. Friday and he asked if I had passes any stitches. I said nope. He did a vaginal and found my cuff was healing, but looked raw and oozing along the suture line. He said this was ok and that some women keep their stitches and that for some reason they don't always dissolve.

He also found a small spot of granulation tissue just starting to form. I asked about the silver nitrate and he told me no, he preferred to let this go naturally. He said if the spotting didn't stop by Christmas (what???) to call him & we would do the silver nitrate. He also cleared me for gentle sex, but now I'm scared.

I understand most women get their nitrate treatments as soon as granulation tissue is found, but mine said it wasn't mature enough to treat. That contradicts everything I've read on here. My Dr. is Chief of Surgery at a teaching hospital, so I guess I have put my faith in him because of that. Now I don't know and I'm scared.

Can anyone share their stories or experience with this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2007, 10:46 AM

I've had 3 treatments of silver nitrate due to granulation tissue. I go to the doctor wednesday b/c I started bleeding lightly and probably will have another. My doctor does treat me with the silver nitrate, but has said their are pockets of tissue that are hard to reach and that they will basically need to heal on their own. My almost 5 months out am still wearing panty liners and not completely healed. The doctor has reassured me I won't be wearing panty liners forever! LOL
Unread 09-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Silver nitrate? What is this? My dr. didn't mention this...........Do we all get this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2007, 11:28 AM

Wondering the same as ScrapperJen here.....?

2 weeks out today!

Spot off and on.
Unread 09-24-2007, 11:37 AM

MrsBrady,
I too had granulation tissue and it was very painful. If my Dr touched it, I screamed. I had continuous swelly belly with the granulation tissue and it appears about 8 weeks after my surgery. My Dr choice to put me back in surgery to remove the granulation tissue and to go in laproscope and double check to make sure everything was ok.

So, 3 months after my hyster, I had another surgery to remove the tissue and for discovery. My Dr said he use to put nitrate on the granulation tissue in the office, but found that it can be painful. He said that in all his years of practice about 30% of his patients who keep at least one ovary, form granulation tissue. It's like your body is trying to re-create what was removed.

Are you in pain? Are you bloated too? I am not familiar with anyone waiting to see if these tissues would fall off. Do you feel o.k. I had days where I just didn't feel good, besides spotting and being bloated. Has your Dr given you any anitbiotics to help?

I would be concerned about waiting another 3 months. I would press the issue, about getting them removed.

I feel your pain.
Unread 09-24-2007, 11:39 AM

About 5 weeks post-op, I began having some discharge and an odor that was not there before, plus some little pinchy feelings that felt sort of like menstrual cramps. My nurse friend told me it was the stitches healing, so I wasn't overly concerned about it, and it did not get worse or anything, so I decided to ride it out for a week until my 6 weeks checkup.

At my 6 weeks checkup, my dr. said that there was an area (of the vaginal cuff) where the skin had healed faster than the stitches dissolved, and she used a long q-tip thingy to wipe the stitches off. She said I might have some bleeding afterwards. She also told me to wait a week before having intercourse, even though I was 6 weeks out from surgery.

Well, the next AM, I did have some bleeding (bright red), but it seemed to stop so I went to work, only to have another bleeding spell that afternoon. She told me to go home and put my feet up and rest over the weekend.

I went back to see the dr. last Wednesday, and she did cauterize an area with silver nitrate. It stung a bit, and then I had stinging and a little pain plus some dark discharge (only a little though) for a couple of days, then the pain stopped and I've had no discharge or pain since then. I go back this Wednesday for a recheck.

She said she put the silver nitrate on because there was an area of granulation tissue and she wanted to remove it so the vaginal cuff could heal properly.

Hope that helps!
Unread 09-24-2007, 02:18 PM

I too had the pinkish/red bleeding start last week. I am 11 weeks post LAVH. I went to my doctor on Friday. He used the silver nitrate and then cut away scar tissue and took a few biopsy samples. He said that I would have discharge over the weekend from the removal of the scar tissue and he was right, I did. It was a brownish color and now today I have started back with the pinkish/red bleeding. Although it isn't much, there is still enough to wear a panty liner. I do go back to see him on October 3rd. I am sore and have been having pain in my left side. I do have both ovaries but no cervix. Still confussed about the bleeding....especially if they removed the scar tissue that they thought was causing the problem. Hope you get better soon!!!!!

Angie
Unread 09-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Silver nitrate is a chemical that has antiseptic properties and it dries up/burns the granulation tissue away. Granulation tissue is basically scar tissue. Mine was like fork pongs hanging down.

After mine granulation tissue was nitrated, I bled for quite a while, it didn't stop in just a few days. It was more like 10 days to 2 weeks.
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:15 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Another scary thing!!! Looks like I'm ok until I'm about 2 months out? We never talked about this..............! After my endometrial ablation, I scarred so bad inside that I ended up with a hematometrium (pocket of fluid that couldn't get out causing me to bleed into the muscle causing bad pain) and then a hysterectomy.
Unread 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM

I wonder if silver nitrate was what the dr used on me when I had a bit of bleeding at 2 weeks. The whole thing hurt bad anyway & the medicine stung/burned a bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register