Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out" - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out" Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out"

Unread 09-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Granulation tissue & Dr. said "just wait it out"

I am almost 7 months out and I have had 3 silver nitrate treatments and my granuloma has not changed so my doctor is scheduling and outpatient procedure to remove it. The treatments were very uncomfortable and a little painful.
cms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-25-2007, 06:55 AM

Thanks for all your replies ladies. I really, REALLY, don't want to have any outpatient surgery. Actually, I can't afford to. I start nursing clinicals in January and we are not allowed to miss one day....for an entire year. Our schedule is so tight that there is no room for make-up days and missing a day means that we do not have enough credit hours to sit for the state licensure.

Oh geez, now I am really worried and scared. For those that had this outpatient surgery: how long were you required to be off and how long before you could lift again?
Unread 09-29-2007, 12:06 AM

Hi MrsBrady

I was just like you a few years ago. With my granulation tissue my doc said he could use silver nitrate on it, but that he prefers to let the body work on it naturally instead- which he said it usually does. I was skeptical since it seemed all the posts here mentioned granulation tissue being treated with silver nitrate. I posted a thread similar to this one, and was reassured that there isn't a right or wrong in the treatment, just a matter of doctor preference.

It did resolve on its own. It did take a while, and it got worse before it got better....nothing terrible by any means, but I had some bright red spotting occassionaly and also pain with the exam. The next office visit showed I had developed a granuloma that he felt was a stitch granuloma. (My body walling off a stitch and working on expelling it on it's own.) He said it was like a small bubble or small pea. It hurt when he touched it. He said pain is not the norm, but not uncommon either. Said the majority of women do not have any pain with granulation tissue (or treatment), some have a little bit, and only a few had the amount of sensitivity like I did. He could tell I was definitely feeling it because when he touched the healed area of the cuff I had no discomfort, when he touched the granulation, I did.

I was still waiting to get that greenlight release from his care, but he kept having me come back in another week or so. I always had more questions for him each time I went back, and he likes to teach, so although my visits were numerous, I always learned something from them.

We all heal at our own pace and he felt I would heal fine ... just in my own time. He was right. One day I noticed some tissue on my pad that looked exactly like he'd described it and noticed my discomfort was much better... and sure enough, when I saw him the day after, he said the granuloma was gone and the other areas of milder granulation were about healed up too. This was about my 12th week and I was given a "yellow light" at that time.

It was reassuring to me that things went as he expected them to. I also noticed that many women who have the silver nitrate do have to go back for repeat treatment, so it doesn't always take care of the problem the first time. If you do have to have it, the silver nitrate is a simple application done during an office visit. As (((cms))) mentioned, there are times when stubborn granulation might need to be excised, but even in that scenario I'd think the procedure could easily be done without interfering with your clincals.

Good luck with your healing process. I hope you do well.
Gentle s
Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:16 AM

Oh Beth, big HUGS. Thanks for taking the time to post your story. I thought I was all alone. Just like you, I never heard of this wait and see approach. I can't tell you how appreciative I am to hear this from you. My spirits have been lifted.....optimism is the best policy so I will just assume that it will all heal on its own in due time.

The spotting never scared me, the pain of treatment never scared me. It was dang education possibly being put on hold that terrified me. I've worked to hard and to long to let some tissue stand in my way
Unread 09-29-2007, 09:37 AM

It helped me when I found out I wasn't alone, too. Keep us posted & good luck with school.

Unread 10-04-2007, 07:12 PM

I had a LAVH with BSO removal on August 16, 2007. On August 23, I started bleeding and I saw an attending doctor who told me it is either granulation tissue or a prolapsed fallopian tube. I went to my 6-7 week appointment and my regular doctor told me it looked like a fallopian tube. She then swabbed the area and treated it with silver nitrate. My doctor told me she wanted to see me in 6 months. Now I am worried, if I had ovary removal, why would they leave the fallopian tubes in? To my understanding, aren't the fallopian tubes connected to the ovaries? I was so upset I went blank and did not ask my doctor this question. Thanks for your help.

Kindest regards,
Patricia
Unread 10-04-2007, 07:37 PM

I had my TAH RSO on May 2 and am now six weeks out. I have tiny amounts of spotting and some PMS type crampies. I have absolutely no pain with intercourse, and my doc didn't seem concerned at my seven week checkup and said to come in at the six month mark, which is December. She didn't even mention silver nitrate. It hasn't concerned me much, but it was nice to pop in here and see that there are other docs that agree with letting the body heal itself. We'll see what my doc says when I see her!

One question: I have steered away from having sex when I'm spotting, but I don't really have much rationale behind it. Hubby is the gentle type (TMI!) and I'm not uncomfortable. Since it is such a tiny bit of bleeding I figured there isn't much risk of infection. Am I deluding myself? After all this time I figure that I shoud have had trouble by now if I was gonna, eh?
Unread 01-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Dawnraymond I am with you! I have alot of pain and have been treated for yeast infection with 3 rounds of treatment and then tried treating bacterial infection - 5 weeks later still have the infection and still have pain. Today I go in to try to get to the bottom of this and my MD says I have granulation tissue, which was not there at my 6 week check or afterwards with all of my visits. She used the silver nitrate and also booked a CT scan since like you, I am also having alot of swelling - start the day flat as a pancake and then up and up and up it goes. By bedtime I look as bad as I did with the 16 week uterus - agh - when will this ever end! Seeing that you posted this in Sept I'm not even sure if you're still checking in but if so, please tell me the pain went away after the granulation issue resolves!!!
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:03 PM

ttostfr,
Once the granulation tissue was removed. I pain eventually went away, because even sex was very painful with the granulation tissue. It took several weeks for the pain to go away, after the removal. I do though, still have swelly belly. I have notice if I eat more for several days, than the swelly belly is more unbearable. I just wish that would go away. They tell me swelly belly can be there for a year. It's been 10 months now and I still have it. UGH!!! Hang in there....
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM

i hope the swelly belly goes away,,,i had my tah/bso 9 months ago and it is still there,,,,,,,hope u all are doing well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register