HELP My tummy when does it get better? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

HELP  My tummy when does it get better? HELP My tummy when does it get better?

Unread 09-29-2007, 11:54 PM
HELP My tummy when does it get better?

Iam Almost 5 Weeks Tah/bso And My Tummy Is Still Really Swollen, Esp Above My Incision Really Puffy And Little Bit Hard On The Sides. Is This Normal? I Started Feeling A Little Bit Better A Couple Of Days Ago And May Have Been On My Feet To Much And I Feel Like I Am Right Back Where I Started From. I Have Been In Tears Most The Night, Should I Not Be Working Back Into A Routine? I Know No Lifting And Vaccuming, But What About The Daily/normal Body Movements? I Dont Think I Should Still Be In Bed, I Am Really Fustrated Sorry Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:53 AM

Hi, worried,
I hate to disappoint you, but I just passed my 4 month mark, & I still struggle with the swelly belly !!! I have found that I have to be really careful on the type of pants & undies that I wear, even though they don't sit right on my incision, they can still aggravate it. You have to remember how much cutting, etc they did on your insides & just keep pampering !!!! I have heard it can take up to a year to totally heal, but with each passing week & month you WILL notice positive differences !!! Don't let it get you down & try to focus on how much better you feel than before your surgery.
All summer when it would bum me out, I think how great it was to wear those white pants without ruining them !!! You are only at 5 weeks, don't be too upset about it. My incision still feels a little "ropey" at times, but it DOES get better !!! And besides, going shopping for new clothes that fit a little different is kinda fun !! By the way, I try to shop later in the day when I'm a little swelly to avoid buying anything too tight.
Take care & keep thinking positive thoughts. This website was a lifesaver for me during my recovery & still today !!

Hugs !!!!!
Leopard fanatic
TAH/BSO
5/23/07
Unread 09-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Hi Worried 39,

I'm nearly three weeks post op and asked my surgeon about the swelling above my incision last week. It had gone down quite a bit, but it wasn't back to where it was and I was a little nervous about it. (Hey, I'm still single!) He said it does go down but that all women take awhile for it to go away - and it may not totally disappear - but it gets much better. He told me that as soon as I got back to running and doing crunches again, it would likely go completely away. But then again, he may have been trying to appease me. However, I asked a few of my girlfriends and theirs went away, too. Hope it helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 11:01 AM

Thanks Girls, I Am Not So Worried About The Appereance As I Am With The Discomfort Of It. I Can Hardly Touch My Stomach It Is So Tender. And Above My Incision Is Worse, Really Sore And Painful Still Even To Get In A Postion To Sleep. Is That All Normal?
Unread 09-30-2007, 12:53 PM

It was a while before I could sleep on my stomach. I sure did miss it!
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:34 PM

I'm finding a lot of puffiness, but I'm only 2 weeks and go for my first check-up tomorrow. I'm curious to see how it will turn out. Some of my clothes I can wear and in 1 week I am going back to work, so I'm surely hoping it goes down. I'll keep you all posted on what the doc says tomorrow!
Unread 09-30-2007, 03:07 PM

I'm going on 8 weeks and my stomach is still sore to the touch.
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:12 PM

I had my TAH for severe adenomyosis and fibroids on July 16 and my tummy is stillsore, especially at the end of the day. I still cannot sleep on either side comfortably , and hate sleeping on my back! However, I can truly see improvement every week - it is slow and frustrating, but so many of us are in the same boat. It will take quite a while for us to say this was the best thing we did for our health and we feel great. keep taking care of yourself, and don't feel bad asking for help.
Unread 10-01-2007, 07:18 AM

I agree with Sheeba, it's slow, but can see improvement every day. Even after 4 months, I have twinges on my left side if I stretch funny. I think that left ovary gave them fits when trying to get it out !! I know it gave me fits while it was in there !!!

It WILL get better, & let's face it, we did go through a major operation & can now tell others about it. It definitely was life changing, some good, some not so good. But try to focus on how much better you feel than before. Keep up the pamperin' !!!

Leopard fanatic,
TAH/BSO
5/23/07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register