Do you bleed alot after surgery? If so how bad? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do you bleed alot after surgery?  If so how bad? Do you bleed alot after surgery? If so how bad?

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Do you bleed alot after surgery? If so how bad?

I've heard that you will have to wear pads for a while after the procedure? My question is is how bad do you bleed or how often do you have to change your pads.
We just got NEW FURNITURE - THE RECLINER IS CREAM color courderoy. It's sooo comfy! My husband said I sure hope you don't bleed all over it. You can tell he's been around me a while. I said well we can always put down towels, blankets!
Would love advice! Where did you stay during the day couch or bed! I'm thinking the couch for now - I told my husband I'll just keep garage door opener w/ me to let people in & out. Since he won't be able to be here.
GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL! I'm on the 8 day countdown. Then I can
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:29 AM

I only had a little spotting mostly when i wiped. I wore panty liners mostly. But i guess it really depends on you. If you do to much to soon your body will let you know by spotting more or some red blood.

I stayed on the couch for the 1st couple of days so i could prop myself up. Also the recliner was comfy too.
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:48 AM

I wore pantyliners for about 3 weeks. I just spotted a bit and a little more around 6 weeks when my internal stitches started to dissolve. Never had any "accidents" and I wore white panties the whole time.

Speckla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:54 AM

Good morning, I do not know about the bleeding from a vaginal hyst?? I had a TAH and only spotted the evening of surgery while in the hospital. I wouldn't think it should be heavy bleeding... I was on the couch during day time (with lots of pillows) and saved the bed for a change of comfort at night....even though my couch is so very comfy I needed that change of position at night for a good sleep. All the best
Unread 09-30-2007, 07:55 AM

LAW1961 -

Thanks for sharing! How are you feeling now? How long before you felt like "your old self". I'm trying to convince myself to get back to work at least half days after surgery. Need the money! My husband is saying don't bet on it, don't rush it. But, I'm sure when the time comes, I'll hear otherwise. He's not one to "take care of anyone". Hopefully, I won't be to incapacitated. This takes me back to when I was a teen with bad periods - crawling to the bathroom because I was so weak!
Can you sit on floor if you ease yourself down from couch or something? Just curious!
Thanks!
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:31 AM

I bled for the first two days, second day was really light - one panty liner since then.

I feel pretty much like my old self besides the cramping I have occasionally. I would say I felt like me the following day of surgery. Just a little slower, It's been almost 2 weeks and I'm feeling like I can do things but I don't because I don't want to impede the healing process.

I keep reading about the comlications if you do too much too fast and I'm taking it to heart. Make sure you listen to your doctor about going back to work - the money isn't worth it if you're going to add weeks on to a recovery or end up with an additional surgery. This is major surgery.

As far as sitting on the floor, I cannot imagine doing that still! UGH...trying to get up would be lots of effort and pain, I can imagine. Yes, before the hyster, I used to sit on the floor or on a pillow quite often.
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:51 AM

I had a TAH on 8/29. For the first few days I had no bleeding at all. Then I started to spot but it was very little each day. I haven't had anything in the past couple of days but I've never needed more than a panty liner. If your worried about your couch though you could buy those blue absorbent pads. My sister in law gave me the ones that she had left over after her last c-section. I didn't need them but it was nice to know I had them just in case!

Since everyone is different in the speed of their recovery, you have to listen to your body. Your body will tell you when you are doing too much believe me!
Unread 09-30-2007, 02:15 PM

I had my TAH 10 days ago and I've had no bleeding or spotting so far.
Unread 09-30-2007, 04:23 PM

Temben,
I am 5 days post op from a TVH and only bled the first three days,even those were very slight, just enough for a pantyliner. I Spent most of first couple of days home in our recliner or in bed to sleep and take a nap. Now I am walking around trying to keep busy, cleaning and cooking a little more each day. I really only needed my DH here the first day home , but he was kind enough to take a weeks vacation, not knowing how incapacitated I would be. So he has just been keeping himself busy around the house cleaning, doing laundry, cooking and home improvment jobs. Everyone is different and has a different recovery. Good luck. I wish you well for a quick recovery!
Unread 09-30-2007, 06:54 PM

Temben, i really started feeling more like myself about 5 weeks out. I started driving after 1 week with the Dr. permission. But all Dr.s are different. Week 3 i felt ok and started doing alittle to much like vacuuming what a big mistake that was. Who would think that would be hard but it was. Everytime i did to much my stomach would swell up even now it does at least 2 times a week. So just take your time and do what your doctor says and you will be just fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register