Pre-Op Anemia! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Anemia! Pre-Op Anemia!

Unread 09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
Pre-Op Anemia!

Hello all-

I've been reading for awhile but this is my first post. I was (yes, WAS) scheduled for a TAH October 9th. Just got results from pre-op blood tests 2 days ago. Turns out I'm anemic and they won't do the surgery for at least 2 months. I AM SO FRUSTRATED!! Why wouldn'y they have checked before? I assume that most women who have had heavy periods for years are anemic. I never thought to ask. I feel so stupid. Arranging a leave of absence from work, care takers, insurance issues, etc is not easy to begin with. To have it cancelled 10 days before is so not cool!

Rest assured, I'm taking my iron (Repliva) & eating everything on the "iron-rich" list. My doc gave me a shot of depo provera to at least slow up, if not stop, my periods until surgery. Now looking forward to December 6th!!

Sorry for the long post. Needed to vent!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Pre-Op Anemia!

I understand the whole anemia thing my doctor checked my blood in the begining for low iron. I took supplements for a few weeks and it didn't work so I was given iron injections not my favorite thing but it worked. I did all this prior to my surgery being scheduled. Good luck hope things go well sorry you had to postpone your surgery.
Unread 09-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Pre-Op Anemia!

I am usually a bit anemic and I have been saying I was going to get back on my iron pills. Your post has inspired me to do so immediately. I live hours away from the people who are coming to take care of me and my family, so I can'thave anything changign at the last minute.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Pre-Op Anemia!

I am having surgery on Friday and a blood transfusion on Tuesday to bring my levels up. I was told my iron count is so low they are surprised I can walk around and function. I can't wait for this to be over, I can't take the bleeding anymore.
Unread 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM
Pre-Op Anemia!

My hemoglobin has been in the cellar forever. My wonderful doctor gave me a tip that did help a little anyway. He said to take your iron with grapefruit, either fresh or juice. He said not just vitamin c but grapefruit. The pharmacist confirmed that grapefruit has interactions with many drugs and it does cause greater absorption of iron. I don't know why all our docs aren't telling us this. But you should try it, I noticed an improvement once I began.

I also have to say that if you are waiting for a hyst due to fibroids like I was, I noticed a big difference as soon as I woke up in the recovery room. I can breathe better, no more peeing all the time, no backache! I lost a lot of blood so still very anemic and eating my grapefruit and iron pills together but I hope you are all like me and feel so happy later that you finally gave in and had the op!
Unread 09-30-2007, 10:30 PM
Pre-Op Anemia!

Awewome tip Desi, I will start that regimine tomorrow.
Unread 10-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Pre-Op Anemia!

Jewelsophina,
Sorry that your surgery was postponed. There are many things to do to prepare so that stinks. You would think that they would have checked your levels earlier. But it is best to wait until you are more healthy.

I was severely anemic because I had hemorrhaged. I was given 6 units of blood and iron in my IV. My blood count went from 3.7 to 12 for surgery.

Hang in there . Now you can get your holiday plans in order before you have your hyster !

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register