2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 10-11-2007, 02:59 PM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

To all the itchy sisters out there- My doc prescribed both hydrocortisone 2.5% and lidocaine 5% for the itchy/pain that goes along with the perineum healing but I've found by using the hydrocortisone cream to all the itchy incisionettes it soothes them ,too. Staci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2007, 03:07 PM

Hi Ladies

So glad I found this site. Went in Friday October 5 for a TAH, kept my ovaries. Surgery went well. Took about two hours. I already knew prior to going in that I had an enlarged uterus (hubby affectionately called it BIG U) and several large fibroids. Was released from the castle on October 7.

Recovery has been slow. Based on alot of the responses on here, I was beginning to think I was a super wuss. Been in alot of pain. Haven't been getting much sleep. Finally, today I called my doctor today because severe pain on my right side kept me up most of the night. I was worried that the incision was infected. Luckily it isn't. She removed the staples. Feels alot beter now.

I feel like this has been a whirlwind experience. I had always had heavy periods but sort of dealt with it. Went in for my annual in July. My doctor commented that I looked pale. She sent me to a lab for basic blood work. Next day I get an urgent call. Go to the hospital immediately. My red blood cell count was 12. Four blood transfusions and an iron infusion. Determined the best way to deal with it would be the TAH.

So greatful to have a wonderful doctor, a supportive family and my new sisters!!!!

~~Kim~~
Unread 10-11-2007, 04:59 PM
Day 7

Ug, not a good day 7! I got up, did one small load of laundry, ate and was fine. Then I was bent over for about 20 seconds looking for something in my oh-so-not-tidy closet, and when I stood up I was so lightheaded I swore I was going to faint. So, I spent most of the remainder of the day reading my book and trying not to worry about it.

Baby steps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2007, 05:52 PM
Day 7

Ok, its day 7... slept most of the day.
Can't recall what I posted or not, who I've talked to or not, who I've emailed... pain meds.... sleep.

I just wanted to send my sympathy for the hystersister who needed the transfusions!!! OMG! I'm glad you are ok. My blood work came out at 10 in April so they did an emergency D&C, which didn't help more than a few months. I hemorrhaged again twice in September in fifteen days and it was very low again. I did not get the transfusion, but I may have needed it. I've been anemic for years due to heavy bleeding.

I posted the following in the wrong place and wanted to share it here with my early October sisters:

I have been wearing the Climara estrogen patch since I got home from the hospital, so I"ve had NO sweats or menopause symptoms. Its bio-identical hormone, just like my ex-ovaries would make for me. So, we are fooling my body into thinking those ovaries are still there. Much research has gone into this topic and the bio-identical hormones seem the easiest to take and work great.

Sleep.... Lets talk Sleep meds... Ambien vs Lunesta. Lunesta wins everytime. Ambien, being an older sleep medicine, unfortunately has a side effect they don't tell you about unless you are in the field of medicine... Ambien has a rebound effect and the day you stop taking it.. or the day after I can't recall, you DON"T sleep because of Ambien. Lunesta does not do this. In all research trials, Lunesta was more successful in promoting sleep, keeping you asleep and helping you get back to sleep should you wake up. The side effects of Lunesta are a funny taste in your mouth that won't hurt you and goes away when you brush teeth. In addition, Ambien can cause hallucinations... I know two people that happened to and ... it drugs you so much you are dizzy and drugged. Lunesta doesn't drug you. I don't know how, but it works differently in the brain. BIG DIFFERENCE in the two meds. Lunesta is the preferred choice and you should ask for that if your doc has given you anything else. FYI- Rozerem is another, that involves melatonin receptors, however it works sometimes and doesn't work sometimes. I don't know about you guys, but I want to sleep. Lunesta is my drug of choice. It should be yours to. You can take it for months and months, or just a few days or one day, the results are the same. Sleep. Ah, glorious sleep. Just ask your doctor for Lunesta. I wouldn't touch Ambien, not with the history of side effects and the potency of the medication to cause you to feel so drugged.

My husband just walked in with two packages from UPS... stating, "you can't walk, but you can still shop!!!!!!" Ha, ha! Amazon.com, my favorite place.

I hope everyone has a better day tomorrow. I also hope the burning goes away for all of us. Apparently its from where they cut the ligaments inside. Ouch!

Sleep well,
Ilene
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:50 PM

i had my total adominal hyster on mon 8th oct, came home thursday afternoon, didn't lose any weight and have a swlly belly and a bit sore which is normal. I have found hystersisters wonderful to come to,so much info. i am listening to music and resting and moving a little during the day.
I haven't quite got my appetite back, but i love soft boiled eggs,poached eggs and kiwifruit is helping. drinking water more than my coffees.
lulubea
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:22 PM

Had my LAVH around noon on Monday the 8th. I guess it could still be called a LAVH. Not too clear but at the end of the procedure, doc realised he either dropped a fibroid or it broke off, so he had to go between the two bikini line laproscopic incisions and and make a 3rd much longer one to retrieve the lost fibroid. The surgery took 3 hrs as opposed to his planned 1 hr. Many more fibroids than he expected. He said he's asked pathology to pay close attention to one in particular, as it had many more blood vessels than normal and they were in a "crazy"? pattern. Also found and removed a polyp on the outside of my colon and a papiloma just inside my vagina. First night in the hospital was tough with pain and nausea, all presumed the pain meds were causing the nausea then my WONDERFUL!! nurse remarked that I seemed to become more nauseated when I got up to pee and perhaps it was the pain itself making me ill. She suggested I had nothing to lose (as I was so miserable anyway) by upping the pain killers and voila! off to dreamland I went, pain and nauseau free. Hasn't been too bad at home, wake up feeling pretty good, then as the day goes along the swelling and pain increases. I've noticed as the swelling increases so does the pain and difficulty with urination. BTW, how long is everyone wearing the TED stockings. I've still got them on, but they are driving me nuts. This site has been wonderful, there are so many things that have happened that would have freaked me out if I had not been so well prepared. Taking my percoset now and heading to bed. Sweet dreams everyone.
Rose
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:54 PM

I had my LAVH-RSO with A&P repair/urethral sling on Oct. 8. Came home on the 10th in the late afternoon. Had Foley cath in until yesterday before lunch. They had me urinate and see how much residual urine was left.I had to pass the urine test before I could go home.

First night at home slept and slept. Bed felt so comfy, although I missed being slightly elevated. I loved having my legs and head up a bit. The hospital bed had a very comfortable plastic covered foam pad built into the mattress. I took my own pillow and had 5 more of theirs surrounding me!

Doctors told me the right ovarian cyst was larger than the last time my gyn saw it on ultrasound. Like a grapefruit. My right, lower back pain was immediately relieved after having it out! They left the healthy right ovary.

The urologist said that after the gyn removed my prolapsed uterus, my bladder actually went back up on its own. So, she stitched it up with permanent sutures and did a urtheral sling instead of under the actual bladder. I have 4 holes in my tummy and the two in my groin for the sling. Surgery was 3˝ hours as planned.

My 15 year old daughter spent the 2nd night in the sofabed in my huge suite. I left the French balcony door open all night to let some air in. The 2nd night it rained. Kind of nice to listen to.

I have some abdominal gas pain and definitely have the need to be regular again. I actually had my first B.M. tonight and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've been taking Colace stool softeners as well as eating fiber. My hubby just went and bought some prune juice, too.

At the hospital I had regular anesthesia as well as a spinal. The took out the spinal after the surgery, though. In my room I went back and forth between morphine in my IV and two Percocet. But now at home, I'm trying to stick with the 600 of Motrin every 6 hours.

So, I'm hoping that each day will be easier. Tomorrow I plan to try and walk outside a little bit just to get some fresh air and get things moving.

I have a post op appt. with each doc around 2 weeks after the surgery.

So now I'm just going to rest and heal!
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:34 PM
Oct 3 Total Hyst

Greetings everyone!

I had a hysterectomy (the traditional kind, not sure of the intiials) on October 3. I was able to keep my ovaries. Had a bikini cut, with some kind of glue strip -- so no outer stiches, staples or bandages!

I went in on Oct 2 to get ready (fasting and resting) had the surgery early on Oct 3, and went home Friday Oct 5 in the evening.

The first steps out of bed were scarey and painful. However, after day 2 things progressed quickly. As many of you know, I had to fart, be able to eat solid food, pee on my own, walk around, etc, in order to be released. We originally thought Saturday or Sunday, but I was glad to get home Friday night.

I was happily looking forward to the surgery for weeks, got my house cleaned and life in order before leaving for the hospital on Oct 2.

It all went very well, surgery less than 2 hours! It took a little while to get the pain under control in recovery, and they needed to change drugs or something ... but after that I was in a happy drugged haze for the rest of the day.

The surgeon stopped by my room and showed me photos of what they removed. Very large fibroids, one larger than the uterus itself, and many small ones.

I did my first Triathlon this summer, and the doc says he hopes he took 6 minutes off my time for the next Tri!

Of course, the sad news is that I am not to run or bike for 6 weeks, and for swimming maybe only slighly sooner.

I've been taking light walks, and then doing the stairs which I really have to do in my 3 story home. It is difficult to take it easy, but I'm getting a taste for it. Afternoon naps are critical.

I feel better and have more energy than I anticipated, but on the other hand, that makes it a temptation to over do! Then I'm sorry because the soreness and swelling get that much worse.

My recovery is really going smoothly, and I have few complaints EXCEPT .... the swelly belly thing is quite discouraging! I had the silly idea I was going to drop a pants size, since my uterus was the "22 week" size. However, with the swelling, I'm just as big, and sore to boot! And there's this big shelf thing.

I couldn't possibly wear jeans or anything fitted right now. Pajama bottoms or cotton exercise pants with a little spandex are all I can stand.

Fortunately I've been reading the many posts about this issue tonight, and now realize it is totally normal. I just have to be patient!

I have been on a 2 year quest for healthier living, including eating and exercise. I've lost quite a bit of weight, so the swelled belly seems like a backwards step .... let's hope its only temporary.

I'm grateful for my good eating habits, which are likely helping my recovery process. I didn't have much of an appetite when I first got home, but I'm finally feeling hungry, in a normal way. For whatever reason, I only crave good things, not junk.

For the first 36 hours after surgery, I could only tolerate ice chips and sips of water. Then there was a day of broth and ice cream. Finally on day 3 I was able to tolerate normal food, although slowly.

I had this crazy idea that I was going to lose weight from the surgery, both from the huge fibroids removed, and also from days of not eating. I actually weighed 2 pounds more when I left the hopsital from when I went in! I've dropped a few pounts now, which I guess were fluid from the IV and swelling. I hope more comes off. I didn't expect to be SO HUGE and HEAVY still!

I had terrible cramps and heavy periods for years. Then it got much worse when I took up running, cramps any time of the month, and then incontinence. Fortunately the incontinence has improved dramatically from the hysterectomy, without extra procedures .... at least so far. I actually have to REMIND myself to pee!

My goal is to get better at RESTING this week! I'm still running my on-line business part time, and my mom and boyfriend have been helping me around the house, and also with driving.

The biggest help for getting comfortable in bed, is when I got myself a large body pillow. Naps and night sleep are SO much better now. I also decided I need to sleep ALONE for the next week or so, which also helped.

I got my "swelly belly" belt in the mail today. It is kind of neat. I like the support feature the best. Not sure I like the wet factor, but maybe I'll get used to it.

Thanks for reading this, and all the best to you who are also recovering this week! It has to get BETTER soon, right ???
Unread 10-12-2007, 01:39 AM

Wednesday Oct. 10, 2007-
I went to the doctor today due to a drainage from my bellybutton. I had a LAVH. The doctor did a culture and then he cut my suture that was not disolving. it hurt so bad since I was red and swollen around it. The doctor said that my body was treating the suture like a foreign object. he gave me a perscription for an antibiotic and said that he might have to change the antibiotic if the infection is more aggressive. I lowered the dose of medication since I am healing quickly.400mg ibuprofen every 8 hours and percocet 2 times a day. once at nap time and bedtime.
I was able to walk around fred myers for a few groceries. My DH and twins did all the lifting and pushing the cart. It was nice to be out.
we then went home. That night I researched the main ingredient in my pain meds beside the narcotic and found out that it is acetaminophin.
tomorrow I am going to try to get off the narcotic aspect but keep enough meds in my system to allow my body to heal. I took a short rest and was sucessful with my twins with dinner and bedtime. my DH and DD had an appointment in town. It helps that my DK's are wanting to be independent.
The night went well but, I only got three hours of sleep and up I was again to the bathroom at 3am.

Thursday Oct 11,2007.
I was up at 3am and did some journaling. napped for two hours then kids were up to start their day. DH off to work first day since going to the castle.
Walked kids to school, chatted with teacher and back home.
today went well. I even did a little laundry since the doctor told me yesterday I was doing great with my recuperation. I tried just acetaminophen for lunch time and 400 mg every 8 hours for ibuprofen. I drove down the street to a local store and got some dressing stuff for my drainage.
About 7pm hit and I was in pain. I decided I would take percocet for just night time. I also took 800 mg of ibuprofen too.
During the day I will take the lower dose but, stronger at night.
I am ready for bed and a longer night sleep tonight.
All my hyster sisters good night sleep to you too.
Debbie
Unread 10-12-2007, 08:59 AM

Hello everyone,

I am new here - had a total hysterectomy on Oct. 8. It was a surprise, I was scheduled for laparascopic surgery to remove my ovaries (due to cysts - I am post menopausal). I awoke from surgery to find that there was so much endometriosis, scar tissue and adhesions that my dr. asked my husband if she should just go ahead and do the total hysterectomy right then and there, and he agreed. All went well, except that I have a pretty bad reaction to anesthesia (nausea and throwing up), and had to stay in the hospital until yesterday (Thursday). So now I'm home but can't seem to get rid of the gas, my belly is swollen all the way up to my rib cage and it affects my appetite, so I'm not eating well either. How long does it take to get rid of the gas? And is there anything I can do besides walking to get rid of it?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register