2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 10-05-2007, 10:32 AM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

I made it home last night after my Oct. 2nd surgeries. More complications than anyone expected because I'm a fairly healthy girl. I'm told that it took alot more to sedate me than anyone expected. It tok two hours to get me out of recovery. They were not able to get on top of the pain the first night without moving me to a more acute care room. The first time I tried to get up, the pain was so intense i almost vomited. They finally put me on all night monitoring and upped my medication so I could rest a little. The funny thing was, when the pain went down, I was more awake. Wednesday went better as they put me on oral meds with some anti-inflmmatory. I was all ready for a Thursday departure when I woke up at 7 a.m. with a horrible chest pain, three nitro, an EKG and a visit with my PCP led us all to believe that they gave me oral meds in the middle of the night without food. After getting the enzyme tests back they allowed me to go home. They we a little high but nothing to worry about. Probably the stress of the past few days.

So now I am home and although I'm tired, I'm feeling good enough to say I am so glad I did this. Even with my own personal complications, I know this will be worth it. Its strange but in some ways I already feel better.

Something that hit me on the way to the castle was when I looked at my daughter and realized all that she has gone through over the years (she is a special needs child with multiple medical needs that has been through numerous surgeries and she is only 8) this was nothing in comparison. I knew I had to be at least as strong as my daughter.

Hope everyone is already on the upside this week!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 10:41 AM

Hi Sisters !

TSH yesterday 7:40am, home by 4pm. Needed alot of morphine and demerol at the castle, but I really wanted to be at home, so I asked to stop the shots and took 2 vicodins when I got home. No gas whatsoever! Peeing is coming out in trickles, but about every 1-2 hours. Doing laps around the dining room table every time I get up to pee. Not much appetite yet. Dr. said no Endo, kept my ovaries, although she did see a couple small cysts, one that had ruptured on its own. Now I wait 2 weeks for path report to see if it was Adeno-whatever-it's-called.LOL. Hope I really neede this ! The back of my left hand is swollen from IV line-is this normal ? Dr. said I was crying when they woke me up-I think I was more stressed than I want to admit! Got short with my Mom once yesterday, once with my 12 y/o DD this am. Of course I apologized immediately and all is well now that pain isn't so great. I have a pretty bad sore throat, and some pretty painful coughing that brought up some scary lookong stuff. My heart goes out to you gals that has to have the "bikini cuts"...all I have is 3 little bandaids that I forget are there. I am so relieved that this is all over! Best Wishes for recoveries ladies, and THANKX to HYSTERSISTERS for being here for all of us!

OMG ! Coffee tastes soooo good!
Unread 10-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Only 4 days left for second voiding trials

well today I am really starting to feel a lot better.
Still very nervous re: Foley Cath. 2nd voiding trial
this coming tuesday. Thanks for any support/ information
re: foley cath post vag. & bladder repair:
I honestly don't think I can take this foley cath. for another
week.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM

I had a TVH at 8:00 am on Oct. 1. Came home Oct. 2 at 2:00 pm. I don't remember a thing about the operating or recovery rooms. I had a little trouble with nausea and vomiting from the vicodin for the first couple of days, but seem to have that under control now. I was surprised that the post-op pain feels exactly like being in labor! I feel like I've been in labor for three days. I'm lucky that I don't have any external incisions. I don't really have any soreness, just a constant crampiness. Luv2knit, something isn't right with my tongue either! The entire left side is swollen and sore. It has a couple of canker-like sores on it. I figure it must have something to do with the general anesthesia. I know they put something in your mouth during the operation to help regulate breathing. I was happy to hear that I'm not alone with that one! All in all, the worst part was the waiting and worrying beforehand. (The first BM was a little scary too!) The doctor said he was surprised by the size of my uterus, and that it definitely needed to come out. I'd do it again in a second. Now, four days later, I'm up and around the house and enjoying my afternoon naps. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to substitute Advil for the vicodin. (I hope I don't lose the naps!) To all October hystersisters, rest up and take care! It should be all downhill from here!
Unread 10-05-2007, 09:35 PM

Today has been a decent day for me. Hope it was as well for all of you!

First day that I haven't slept as much as I have been awake. Can honestly say the past days have been huge blur to me. I am feeling good for the most part. Feeling sore of course and a little more so since watching some funny movies. Not particularly a good idea yet.

Had my first BM today and was very happy to do so. Was getting a little worried about not having one thus far. Why do I feel so old talking about my own BM's?! lol

Heres2me - hope your doc visit went well and that there is no infection. I know it would freak me out after doing so well and then that happening.

it actually made me think of a few questions that i will post here in a few as new threads. so please take a look and answer as I am interested in what you all have been told or think.

hope you all have a great evening and better sleep at that!
Unread 10-06-2007, 12:08 AM

I went into the castle thursday morning. I was so blessed to have a great nurse that explained how things were going to go especially when they put in a spinal it allows then to not have the local as strong. I was out as soon as he did the spinal I don't even rememeber laying down. then next thing I knew I was waking up in pain. they game me the extra pain meds to help. the funny thing was my butt was so numb I felt like I was on a balloon and I couldn't move around. my butt was that last thing that "defrosted" lol. I was glad to have my back scratcher to itch my legs and my back. I didn't have a good itch until I was not numb.
I am so blessed with great nurses that really pampered me.
I even had my nurse last night look all around for some sugar-free jello about 10pm when the kitchen was closed.
I was able to get into my nighty at 2pm. my first clear liquid meal was the best I have every had. you all were right about that one. I got to stand up at 9pm and I was able to take a walk about midnight.
This morning I took a shower I got my cathater out due to drinking lots of water. I was able to pee,pass gas and walk without being dizzy or sick. I had a bout of sickness with too much apple juice yesturday.
When my dr checked on me this morning he told me I had a uterus like a 12 week old pregnacy. I was very lucky because the dr almost had to cut me open to get it out. he had to tug and pull. I had several cycts on my right overy he removed due to PCOS.
I got to come home at 2pm but had to take 800 mg ibprofern and my oxycodone two hours later I was in some serious pain. I had a great sleep.
I see the importance of keeping up the meds.
you are all right the gas pains are aweful but nice to know how to make them more bearable and know they will pass.
I want to have a BM so bad. little things matter lol.
I need to go and lie down.
chat tommorrow
Debbie
Unread 10-06-2007, 09:00 AM

I am glad to see you are doing so well.Keep up the good work, but take it slow.I had a TAH on Oct 1st too.
Unread 10-06-2007, 09:25 AM

Stacij
be careful about doing so much exercise so soon.
all my paperwork talked about have a week before doing light exercise.
It would be terrible if you had a set back trying to get back to your life too soon.
Unread 10-06-2007, 10:15 AM

Well I almost had a setback today. This morning my daughter was supposed to have a ride for her band competition. He was to arrive at 4:45 a.m. I woke up to a loud *knock, knock, knock*, looked at the clock, it said 4:44. I shot out of bed and started calling for my daughter to get up, her ride was here! I yelled for my husband and they both said that she was up and ready, the noise I heard was her running up the stairs. Being in the guest room, I was not familiar with the sounds of the stairs. Also being in a VERY deep sleep, I had completely forgot to guard myself.

Anyway, shooting out of bed at this stage is a VERY bad idea. I didn't want to alarm her so I made my way down the stairs to find some Vicodin. As soon as she left i let loose crying. Not only the pain but the fear that I may have broke something loose. I DO NOT want to have to have anything refixed. I think this is the tricky part of recovery where I am feeling good enough to move around.

I am also having what feels like the beginnings of of a bladder infection. Starting the cranberry juice this morning! Glad I stocked up on it!
Unread 10-06-2007, 10:56 AM

Saturday October 6,2007 -second day home after going to the castle on Thursday. I have been feeling a great start to my recovery. I woke up at 3:30am and I was in pain. When I went to get up from my bed that wasn't as comfortable as I remembered pre surgery, I almost cryed in pain. My bladder was full and the pressure was almost unbearable. I took some percoset and took a epson salt bath, that was wonderful. I felt so much better than when I first got up. the bath helped with the gas and the sore stiff neck and shoulder pain. I had to get over the embarrasment about belching to have relief from the pain. I think I will try to take two percoset tonight and see if its better. I will be taking two for the six hours instead of one every 3 hours.I think I have to have lots of pillows too so I'm not so flat.
I got around the house feeling productive without bending or moving anything more than 10 pounds. after about an hour I sat down to watch tv and fell asleep. Being on the couch and in a more upright position was better when I woke up
my DH is so wonderful. When he got up he got me some breakfast, immunity water, coffee anything else I wanted. I feel so pampered.
My awesome friend took care of my kids before and after school on Thursday the day going to the castle and friday so my husband could come to the hospital. He was able to get all my stuff I brough into the car, all my flowers without haveing two 5 year old shadows. They came in the morning for a visit. I called them to say hi, tell my older daughter I loved her and have a great day at school.
My parents took the twins for the weekend. and older daughter went on a expereince weekend retreat with her high school church group. She is focusing on her relationship with GOD.I am enjoying my DH all to myself.
All the things to have at the castle and home is a GOD send ,helpful and I am so thankful. I feel like I was so prepared for my experience and I would do it all over again. I feel like a new woman already. I plan to take it easy and give myself plenty of time to recooperate. I sure don't want any set backs. The dryer is a great idea about not bending and getting dry after a bath. Also lifting my leg up helps to get to my feet without pain. My left side hurts more since I still have my ovary. I hope with having my 12 week pregnant uterus gone and right overy my chest shrinks down to pre- pregnant state. I went from a 40D to 39HH with pregnacy with twins. 5 years later I still have the dimension with my chest even thou I lost weight. I planned on going for a breast reduction. I got my pre work done and started have terrible menstral problem. two months later I got a hysterectomy instead of the breast reduction.I am glad to have the surgery. I was praying so much for Gods wil to be done and I feel I am in his will. We will see if I will need a breast reduction at a later date.
Thank all my hyster sisters here. I feel so blessed to have this support, information and a place to process my experience.
Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register