2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 27 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 10-20-2007, 08:22 PM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahonurse
Thankyou to those sisters who replied, who are routin' for me, and who encouraged me. Today is a new day. I went to an 8 hour Smart Women Smart Money conference at the local resort hotel. It kept my mind off my future woes.
I did lose more weight, putting me at 85.8 now. I ate lunch but no dinner last night. Is it wrong for me to exercise right now? I'm afraid that my circulation will go down, healing will be impaired, my muscles will start to atrophy and I won't be in shape to go back to work if I don't exercise. My gyn doc said the elliptical "walking" is ok. I did it for 20 minutes yesterday and wonder if it contributed to my wt loss.
Won't exercise help me maintain the muscle mass that I need? I'm a nurse, but confused about this issue.
Hi idahonurse: I don't think exercise is bad as long as you aren't suffering for it. I had laproscopic surgery last year. I was down and out for about a week to ten days but back to normal after that. This time I had abdominal surgery and walking is simply exhausing for me now. I think your body will tell you when you've done too much. Listen to it! If it says slow down then do it!

I still don't have too much of an appetite. I eat two to three small meals each day whether I want to or not. And I hope you expressed your weight in kgs not lbs! That would be devastating!

Keep smiling!

Pam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 08:57 PM

As far as the scar massaging goes, she didn't recommend using anything to do it with, but I didn't ask her either. I'm kind of doing it through my pjs because I hate touching scar tissue. On another note, I was having a lot of pain 'cause of overdoing it and decided to use a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel on my tummy. That felt good and helped me sleep.
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:13 AM

Hi ladies.

I'm not doing as well at (almost) Week 3 as I was at Week 1. I feel like, as another sister put it, the Tim Conway old-timer character on the Carol Burnett Show. I shuffle rather than walk. I have a "discomfort" in my belly. Not really pain but more than just a "feeling". Hard to describe. But it's not comfortable. I feel like I should be further along in the recovery. I guess there's truly a reason they say it takes 6 weeks.

Other than that I'm doing fine. Still no bowel problems and I guess I'm resigned to waking up every 2.5 hours at night. At least I go right back to sleep. And I did sleep until 7 this morning which is better than the 5 o'clock mornings I've had lately.

Oh, if you remember I had numbness in my tongue following surgery. It's almost gone now. But I still have no answers as to why it happened. It might have to wait until I see my doc face-to-face in November.

And the hospital sent me a new Ipod to replace the one that disappeared from my tray table. That was actually very kind of them.

I hope you're all recovering nicely. I don't know how I would have gotten through this procedure and the recovery without this site. Everyone has been so helpful and so supportive. Thank you al so very much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2007, 07:23 AM

Morning luv2knit: I'm in the same boat as you! We both had abdominal hysters on the same day and I too am struggling to walk. I do the shuffle too! I'm getting discouraged as I thought I'd be much further along by now. I'm getting cabin fever! Sometimes I feel like I'm going mad! I couldn't possibly think about walking 2 1/2 hrs! Good for you! I can't move more than a few minutes at a time.

I'm still having trouble going to the bathroom. I am still taking the stool softeners. It's a discomfort in my muscles not in the working parts that make you go to the bathroom.

Glad to hear about your iPod! That was nice of them to replace it! Many places would have just said sorry about your luck!
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:33 AM

Dear northof49,
How bad can a typo be??? I meant to say I'm WAKING every 2.5 hours not WALKING. That's one dangerous typo. I couldn't walk 2.5 hours if my life depended on it right now.

Sorry about that.
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Knit
Dear northof49,
How bad can a typo be??? I meant to say I'm WAKING every 2.5 hours not WALKING. That's one dangerous typo. I couldn't walk 2.5 hours if my life depended on it right now.

Sorry about that.

OOOPS! That was my mistake! It must be the cabin fever affecting my eyesight! I told you...I'm LOSING IT! hahaha

Unread 10-21-2007, 07:39 AM

Gee I thought it was just me. I actually felt better during week 1 then I do now. I am also doing the Tim conway shuffle. I drove to Weight Watchers this morning and while it was not a bad experience I do not think I will drive again unless its a emergency or it is 8 am on a Sunday morning and the roads are empty.

I actually feel better hearing I am not hte only one that is not feeling as well this week as the first week after surgery. Healing takes a long time.
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:48 AM

It's me too. I kind of feel like I'm never going to feel better, tho I know at some point I will.

I checked with my insurance company and they told me not to drive for four weeks after major surgery - I won't be insured if I do!

Went for my 10 minute walk today and kind of felt that everything was moving around inside me, a strange sensation which I haven't had before.
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukipup
Gee I thought it was just me. I actually felt better during week 1 then I do now. I am also doing the Tim conway shuffle. I drove to Weight Watchers this morning and while it was not a bad experience I do not think I will drive again unless its a emergency or it is 8 am on a Sunday morning and the roads are empty.

I actually feel better hearing I am not hte only one that is not feeling as well this week as the first week after surgery. Healing takes a long time.

I'm a little worried driving too. I'm afraid of my reaction times if something happened that required me to brake suddenly!

I do feel better every day but the muscle recovery just seems to be so slow! ARGH!

Could you imagine if all three of us were seen walking together? That would be a sight! hahaha

Hope you have a great day!

Pam
Unread 10-21-2007, 07:51 AM

It's embarrasing when little old ladies pass me up walking in the store or the mall. I guess it just takes time.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register