2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 10-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Surgery Surprise

My surgery was done on Oct 4.

I had been having a lot of pain over the past 3 months. Finally I found an Obgyn who located a pelvic mass, she thought it was an endmetria. We decided to remove the mass, the uterus, tubes and ovaries.

The surgery went well with the exception of the fact that the mass is not an endometria, it is cancer.

Physically I feel very good. I am almost without pain now, what relief.

Now I just have to go through some more tests to find out what is going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Gumpy

Hello everyone, I got home from the hospital today at 11:30 a.m.
All in all everything went very well. I arrived at hospital at 6:00 a.m. Oct. 4th, and was wheeled to operating room at 7:30 a.m. The one thing I didn't like was that they don't start your i.v. until you are actually in the operating room. I would have preferred to get it while waiting and then get a 'cocktail' to take my mind elsewhere....anyway in the op. room the anestheseologist had a very hard time finding a vein, he must have been almost 70 years old and I told him he should know by now how to find a vein in just about anyone, he laughed. He said he would start a 'baby' one and find one once I was out, sure....great solution. Next thing I know I was told that the operation went well and they were able to leave the ovaries...yeeeehhhhh. But I was in alot of pain so they topped me up and sent me to recovery. The anestheseologist also didn't remove my breathing tube till I was awake which I thought was weird but don't worry ladies, it was no big deal at all, you see on TV people gagging etc. but I just coughed for him and it was out so don't let that thought worry you. Then again it seems like my anes. was used to doing things a little differently, or maybe senility is setting in for him, he was quite sweet tho.
I ended up in my room three hours later and had a rough time staying awake at all. The one thing I wish I would have concentrated on learning better before the surgery was getting in and out of the bed easier. It is hard to concentrate on the nurses' instructions when you are doped up and tired so I would recommend practicing now, the hospital beds are adjustable but you still have to 'master' the roll I found that I postponed getting up because it was all so painful and some nurses just don't help you get up!
My surgeon was ready to send me home after 2 nights but I ended up having a bad night and stayed for 3 nights. So don't get yourself too convinced that you are going home on a certain day, just roll with it and let your body tell you when it is ready.
I take about 7 short walks a day, starting day 2 with about 4 a day. But then I must rest. I have to get over the notion that I should be able to do more, but I can't, and I am determined to take the advice of all wise women on this site to ease back into life verrrrry slowly.
Thanks to all of you for your wealth of information at a very vulnerable time in my life. Any questions that you pre-oppers want to ask I would be happy to answer based on my personal hospital experience.
Best regards to all,
Tammy (Gumpy)
Unread 10-07-2007, 04:00 PM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

I had a TAH (took everything) on 10-1.Today I am feeling fine as long as I am not moving and can get in a comfortable position. I started having BM's saturday (10-6),actually had 2 that day which is rare for me since I usually only go about once a week (and I dont have a gall bladder anymore,most people w/o one go after every meal.In my family they do anyway, makes it hard at christmas when we all get together to eat and only have 2 bathrooms!)

I am having night sweats (even during my day naps).My 1st one was my first night home from the castle. I couldnt sleep during the day Sat. I got up at 9:30 sat . morn & didnt go back to sleep until 10 last night so I was extra tired today until I took about a 2.5 hour nap ( woke up covered in sweat!) I took my 1st shower sat. morning.I do have to say..........this has been a LOT easier then I thought it would be! (Sshhh, dont tell my husband,kids or mom)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2007, 12:59 AM

Sunday October 7,2007 Well not that the day is over I realize I did a little too much lol. I got up at about 7am and just kind of putted around the house. I am so thankful that I have a small home so everything is close by.The day was a typical fall day. We had lots of wind and rain that caused me to do some pick up so they wern't picked up and blown away. I am glad that they were light. I needed to ask my neighbor to take down my outside table unbrella that broke a rung. I was worried that it could blow over to my car and damage it. My family was out so I had the house to myself. I was able to walk a little farther when family got home. I think I tried to eat too much fiber and not enough pain meds today. I took only one nap and several baths. By the time 8pm came I felt like a balloon and pretty miserable. I took some ibuprofen but not the percocet until after I was very bloated and uncomfortable.I think the precocet helps with the tightness, gas ,bloated and pressure with bm's.
after taking the meds I started feeling better.
I had a nice day chatting with a friend, seeing family later and just relaxing most of the day. Off to bed for a good night sleep.
take care my fellow hyster sisters.
Debbie
Unread 10-08-2007, 10:38 AM

Hi Ladies,

My surgery was Friday, October 5 and I got home from the castle yesterday at 11, they were telling me I could leave at 8:30am less then 48 hours after surgery. I am taking alleve for pain and really don't need much. this recovery is a lot easier then I thought it was going to be and much easier then my back surgeries.

Well gotta go, good luck ladies
Unread 10-08-2007, 11:52 AM

Had a LAVH on 10/2/07. Went home on wednesday on 10/3/07. The pain meds worked well but didn't have a bm until day 5 after eating prunes, stool softeners and finally resorting to an over the counter laxative. It worked- a little too well- but I got the relief I needed. Have had several hot flashes- is that normal? I still have my ovaries. I heard that your ovaries "get mad" when you have a hysterectomy and that causes the hot flashes. I'm just using motrin and tylenol pm at night for soreness that I feel. It's not that bad!!
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm HOME, it's over!!

Hello Ladies!!
First I would like to Thank everyone for their support. This site really gave me the strength to get thru this
I had a TAH/BSO on Tuesday 10/2/07. I was walking that night
Came home on Friday, they said I could leave on Thursday, but had a rough night the night b4 and the Dr. said it might be a good idea to give myself 1 more day at the castle!! 1 day made a huge difference. I am feeling great,, the only real discomfort is the incision, still have staples , those are coming out on wednesday!! Got to go lay down for a bit, ben up since i woke this am, and i know it will catch up with me if i don't lol Again, thanks to all!! have a great day!
xoxo
Unread 10-08-2007, 12:33 PM

Good Morning Sisters! Doing better physically and trying to keep up emotionally. I planned for weeks to have the right time and to have my husband home for the first few days. He has not made it through an entire day this whole time. Last night some things came to a head and I got quite emotional. He said "What do you want me to do, sit around and do nothing?" Um no, but there are moments when I do need to have him right here. At least on Friday, my first full day home, he could have watched a movie with me but "we couldn't agree on anything". Am I wrong for thinking this would be the time to just let me choose and he could suck it up for an hour and a half? *sigh* Anyway, he is out right now getting something on the van fixed. So he is basically using this time off to get stuff done around the house. If he happens to bring me a meal or tea in the process, I guess I should feel lucky.

The nurse called this morning and except for a little burning, I'm doing well. She offered to call in a pee test but I'm going to wait.

That's this morning's update. Thank for letting me vent...
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM

To WanderingRose you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am so sorry that you have to face cancer. Please heal well from this surgery and be brave for anything else you must go through- we're here for ya- cheerin' you on!!
Unread 10-08-2007, 01:56 PM

Must be a bad weekend for husbands. Not only did mine decide to get brochitis but I cooked dinner both Saturday and Sunday nights. You'd think he'd at least do dishes, right?! WRONG!! I was so glad to see my mom come through the door last night to spend the week with us!!!
Today I went to WalMart and Target for a little while now-I'm pooped. Felt good to get out though. Goin' to bed now for a nappy-nap
Best wishes to everyone for a happy recovery!!! Staci

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register