2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 51 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:12 PM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Hi Ladies!
Please don't hate me.... I feel wonderful! I'm really nervous because I feel so good. I'm not tired. No belly pain. I feel back to normal (if there is such a thing.) Oh, normal without the need for pantiliners and ultra thin super pads.

My husband and I just spent two days on the coast. We went to Bar Harbor and Acadia National park, my favorite place on earth. Normally I would have walked and walked and walked but instead we did tiny walks and drove to some lovely scenery and parked the car. We ate out (my appetite isn't what it used to be - this is a good thing) and I slept in a strange bed but I brought my belly pillow and a few extra pillows just to be safe.

All that being said, I went into the ladies room at lunch today and had bright red blood on the tp. Just a tiny amount and I haven't seen any more since. Hopefully it isn't serious.

I think my doctor just cut my abdomen and then sewed me up again. I never had gas, I was able to have a bm the day after release from the hospital, I don't have pains. I think he didn't take everything out. I can't wait to tell him that. He has a great sense of humor.

To all you sisters still suffering I wish you a quick recovery. Now you watch, I'll be complaining of something tomorrow.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 05:02 PM

Luv2knit you are a lucky lady and I am very glad for you! I do wonder though. I know you mentioned you have had tons of support from DH and spent alot of time resting. I can't help but wonder if that helped you heal better than those of us that were stubborn and had to learn the hard way not to overdo. This may be gross and could only be said on Hyster Sisters but I am jealous of your bathrooming I still am not anywhere near normal in that dept. I hope you continue to feel well, but don't stop posting I would miss you!!!
Unread 11-01-2007, 05:48 PM

Turns out "granulation tissue" is what can cause some coloration on the bathroom tissue. Nothing else going on. It has stopped now.

I've had three really good days. I feel so bad for you girls that are having such a hard time, still. I have been doing good and bad for two weeks, but three days ago my belly stopped aching. It just stopped hurting. It is sore to the touch, don't get me wrong, but that overwhelming ache that you gotta lay down asap is gone. I've been to Walmart and Staples without any ill effects. Doc said I was healing far ahead of schedule. My incision is healed and very, very thin. I am lucky on that. My belly is still swollen and puffy-like. Oh well, its temporary.

It has been that terrible deep aching that has been the hardest for me. I've worn an elastic binder the entire time, and bless that ugly thing everday when I get dressed. It takes the ache away and allows me to walk around much better and with no jiggle or pain.

For two months after surgery we will be exhausted as our bodies heal inside. We must remember to not overdo it when we have those moments or hours of feeling good.

I have to keep reminding husband I am recovering. The other night he wanted me to rub his foot, because it hurt. I looked at him like he just jumped off the bridge.. What?!!?!!? I don't think so... I'm rubbing my belly... surgery, remember?????

Duh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icre8art
Turns out "granulation tissue" is what can cause some coloration on the bathroom tissue. Nothing else going on. It has stopped now.

I've had three really good days. I feel so bad for you girls that are having such a hard time, still. I have been doing good and bad for two weeks, but three days ago my belly stopped aching. It just stopped hurting. It is sore to the touch, don't get me wrong, but that overwhelming ache that you gotta lay down asap is gone. I've been to Walmart and Staples without any ill effects. Doc said I was healing far ahead of schedule. My incision is healed and very, very thin. I am lucky on that. My belly is still swollen and puffy-like. Oh well, its temporary.

It has been that terrible deep aching that has been the hardest for me. I've worn an elastic binder the entire time, and bless that ugly thing everday when I get dressed. It takes the ache away and allows me to walk around much better and with no jiggle or pain.

For two months after surgery we will be exhausted as our bodies heal inside. We must remember to not overdo it when we have those moments or hours of feeling good.

I have to keep reminding husband I am recovering. The other night he wanted me to rub his foot, because it hurt. I looked at him like he just jumped off the bridge.. What?!!?!!? I don't think so... I'm rubbing my belly... surgery, remember?????

Duh!
HUSBANDS!! Glad you are doing so well. I can not wait to get rid of the swelling belly. You are right though at least it is temporary, anyway I hope so!!
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Hi Girls!
First, I want to thank each and every one of you for being here for the past 4 weeks. I've been lurking here since my TAH on 10/2. I had quite a rough surgery and my Doc told me I'd have a longer recovery period than originally expected, so I am trying to remind myself of that instead of feeling like I should be further along by now. During my surgery, which should have been 1.5 hours, my doctor was unable to move my abdominal muscles/ligaments and had to cut them on my left side. She said they were so tight, they would not budge. My op was 4 hours long.

So, I've done really well and weeks 2 and 3 I even had days when I felt so great I thought maybe I can go back to work early! Last weekend I had a family event with kids running around, crawling, falling, etc....and just by reflex, I picked up a few kids and held my nephew on my lap, etc... I definitely overdid it. All week I have had excrutiating pain periodically on the left side of my incision (where my dr cut my muscles) and the pain shoots downward. It sometimes hurts so badly it burns and feels like I'm being stabbed. I've done NOTHING this week but it continues to worsen. Last night the pain woke me from a dead sleep twice. I took Advil, but nothing stronger. I will be taking my major pain meds, (which I have not taken since I got out of the hospital) tonight so I can get some sleep.

I am just so frustrated by this. I was doing so great! (I'm even back in my jeans!! not the skinny ones, but the big ones...) I feel like I'm back to week 1 pain-wise. I called my Dr. and she said it's the muscles. I have a scheduled appt. next Wednesday, the 7th, and she told me to just take it easy, take my pain meds if needed and she'll see me then.

I know this is National Whine week and didn't want to be left out ) Thank you all so much for answering so many of my questions before i even had to ask them! I appreciate you all and just wanted to vent because I normally heal quickly and rarely complain....but darn it....I want my life back now! LOL

Love to you all! And trust me, I realize how good I've got it...could be much worse, but I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Suzie
TAH 10/2/07
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:42 PM
I am feelin your pain

Suzie,
I am right there with ya. I begged my doctor to let me go back after 2 weeks but I kept being reminded by him and all the ladies on the web that we had "MAJOR" surgery and to definitely take the 8 weeks or we'd be back in surgery. I too am a fast healer high pain tolerant can't sit down type of person. I have a 2 year I can't lift for 8 weeks. Can you torture me anymore? Ya know what, change your focus on something productive in your physical state. You will enjoy your time off much better. Good Luck. I am here for ya.!!
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswillie
Luv2knit you are a lucky lady and I am very glad for you! I do wonder though. I know you mentioned you have had tons of support from DH and spent alot of time resting. I can't help but wonder if that helped you heal better than those of us that were stubborn and had to learn the hard way not to overdo. This may be gross and could only be said on Hyster Sisters but I am jealous of your bathrooming I still am not anywhere near normal in that dept. I hope you continue to feel well, but don't stop posting I would miss you!!!

Hi mrswillie,
My surgery went good, I was recovering pretty well afterwards and have been fortunate enough to be able to rest when I needed to. I made sure that I didn’t overdo on anything. I was 4 weeks post op the other day when I sneezed several times in a row and ended up with the left side of my incision having 2 small holes and seeping a red tinged liquid. I am so frustrated now because I’m back to doing nothing and waiting for the incision to heal back up again. I guess recovery time must be and individual thing. I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Gallstones

This is a long rant:

Hi,

I had weird thing happen on Monday. I was driving to get the kids from school and felt a stitch in my side (Pain level 2). It got progressively worse. I wasn't sure what to think, but being a mom, I had things to do. So I pushed through the pain and went to do some shopping.

In the middle of the store I was in so much pain (7), I could barely catch my breath. So we left the cart (a first for me) and I started to drive home while calling my PCP. (It did not feel like a gyn issue). Once I got through to a person, they said to go to the ER. I wanted to drop my child at home so I woludn't traumatize her.

My husband wanted to drive me so against my better judgement, I waited 10 minutes for him. Meanwhile my pain hit a 9 and I was crying and writhing. I felt like I was having a heart attack. My kids didn't know what to do with me. I finally thought to take a percoset, but then vomitted from the pain.

When DH finally got there, we went to ER and the pain was down to a 6; some of the pain med must have stayed in becuase the pain kept lessening. When the triage nurse saw me 30 minutes later, I was at 2.

I wanted to go home but stayed because DH thought my body ws trying to tell me something. It took me 2 hours to get seen by a Dr. who was sure I had indigestion.

I said check for gall stones. I have never had them but had a similar pain attack that I described to a nurse post op. She said it sounded like what happened to her before she had her gall bladder out.

ER Dr. said I didn't have the symptoms as I couldn't describe my pain as right side only. He said blood work was fine and this was unexplained. I asked if he ruled out heart attack. He said no, so I made him check for that and he ordered CT scan.

No heart attack. He said the CT results showed some fluid in the abdomen but that was probably post surgical. I said, any gall bladder problems? He said no . But he talked with my gyn and she wanted to see me the next day.

He said 30-40% of women come to the ER with unxplainable abdominal pain. He still thought it could be indigestion. I was not impressed. Indigestion is not a pain level 10 that causes one to collapse and vomit. This was not discomfort. I have given birth naturally, I should know.

So I left the ER after 6 hours feeling very frustrated. When I went to gyn next day, she read the CT results. The abdominal fluid was minimal. And there were gallstones! She didn't say for sure this was the problem because I couldn't say the pain was only right side, but I know it was.

I have a follow up with my pcp in 2 weeks. I read on this site that someone's general surgeon said it is common for women to have gall bladder problems after giving birth or having a hysterectomy.

Wish I'd known, I'd have had them take mine out while they were in there, apparently one can live without it. By the way when I mentioned the first pain attack (that happened 2 weeks pre-op) to a gyn (who didn't do my surgery), he chalked it up to indigestion too. Ugh, men!

So note to self, when going to ER, always get a 2nd opinion afterwards!

Thanks for the rant space...
Unread 11-02-2007, 07:36 AM

sorry to hear about your trouble this so far into recovery. It had to have been very scary. How is the pain now.? So, with gall bladder attacks..they come and go? Your pain level is down at the moment? Good luck, and my thoughts are with you.
Unread 11-02-2007, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle126
Hi mrswillie,
My surgery went good, I was recovering pretty well afterwards and have been fortunate enough to be able to rest when I needed to. I made sure that I didn’t overdo on anything. I was 4 weeks post op the other day when I sneezed several times in a row and ended up with the left side of my incision having 2 small holes and seeping a red tinged liquid. I am so frustrated now because I’m back to doing nothing and waiting for the incision to heal back up again. I guess recovery time must be and individual thing. I hope you feel better soon.
I hope you do too! Never knew that could happen from a sneeze. My doctor has stated over and over how we should rest the whole 6 weeks no matter how we feel and I guess something like this makes you realize how delicate things are. Good luck with your incision and rest, rest, rest!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register