2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 - Page 97 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007 2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Unread 11-22-2007, 10:19 AM
2007 - Hysterectomy Oct 01, 2007 - Oct 08, 2007

Happy Turkey Day Ladies

Hope everyone is feeling better. I went for my weekly incision appointment yesterday and felt great, the doctor told me I will probably need plastic surgery because I will have a big hole in part of the incision. When I finish my radiation therapy I will worry about that. I actullay think I need to do it, i was trying on clothes to take on vacation tomorrow and you can see the overhang and hole when I put on anything that is not very baggy or pleated in the front. I told my husband if I go to a plastic surgeon to fix the incision I will look into lypo or a tummy tuck not sure I am that vain to actually go thru those procedures but if he is in there fixing me up I can ask about the details.
I started getting those pinching pulling pains last night, I have a feeling it it the last of the internal stiches dissolving, my doctor told me weeks 7 & 8 they should be dissolving.
I was told I had no restrictions except hot tubs and heavy exercise. I go
back to the doctor in 2 weeks.

Bye for now have a great day!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2007, 06:21 PM

Sisters,
I am getting calls and making calls to my co-workers to pick up shifts, etc.
I keep hearing them say stuff like, "I heard you look terrible". I know that they don't say it to put me down, but it's hurting my feelings anyway. I don't think I look terrible, either. How should I deal with the comments and feeling ugly at work? My friends at work know that I'm working on my health and weight, but I don't feel I need to tell everyone what I've been thru to justify myself. Any suggestions?
Unread 11-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahonurse
Sisters,
I am getting calls and making calls to my co-workers to pick up shifts, etc.
I keep hearing them say stuff like, "I heard you look terrible". I know that they don't say it to put me down, but it's hurting my feelings anyway. I don't think I look terrible, either. How should I deal with the comments and feeling ugly at work? My friends at work know that I'm working on my health and weight, but I don't feel I need to tell everyone what I've been thru to justify myself. Any suggestions?
Just grin and bear it, I am getting the exact opposite reaction everyone tells me I look great, well if that is case why do I feel like carp today, yesterday I felt almost normal today is 10 steps backwards. I doubt anyone means any harm, maybe they think if they tell you that you will try to east some nore or soemthing, they shoudl know better though they are all in the field.

Glad to hear you are feeling better and want to go back to work, I have no desire to return to work. I am going on vacation tomorrow for a week and then on Dec 3 start my radiation I am not looking forward to it and yesterday my surgeon said I should consider sugery to fix the incision that did not heal correctly. I figured I would go thru my treatments then worry about another surgery.

Talk to you guys next week when I return, I will be thinking of you as I am cruising the caribbean....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2007, 07:29 PM

Michelle, I am so sorry that your co-workers are saying these things to you and I know it hurts. They might be talking about the time that you had to call 911 and was admitted to the hospital. I am sure they don't mean to hurt your feelings. Are you eating better and feeling better. They of all people should be kind to you. I hope that everything works out for you. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:12 PM

Joan C: they aren't referring to what I looked like when I went to the e.r.
I've gone onto the unit a couple of times to look at schedules, and so I've seen about 10 co workers. They aren't doing it to be mean, but even still, it makes me feel bad. Words like, "i heard you look awful" feel the same to me no matter what the intention is. I wish I knew who was talking and what they were saying specifically. I go in there with clothes on, it's not like I'm a walking clothes hanger, you know? I haven't changed in our dressing room yet, can't wait to hear the gossip after that happens....
I guess some people just don't think before they say things. I told my mil that my cousin was killed in a car accident last week and she told me this horrible story she saw on the news, and said maybe it was my cousin's accident. I couldn't believe she said that, and I didn't even know what to say. Let this be a lesson for all of us, that kind words go far. I'd be fine with comments like, "we've missed you, let us know if the shifts are too long at first", or "I'm glad you're feeling good enough to join us again".
I wonder how long I'll have to deal with this......
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:14 PM

Michelle,
I am sorry to hear that and I must agree, that would hurt my feelings too. I'm sure that they don't mean it an ugly or hurtful way, but I see where you are coming from. Just ignore it and focus on YOU! Only you know how you feel. They don't know, they aren't you! I know it's not an easy thing to ignore... but sometimes people say things without thinking how it sounds (or how you perceive it) Hang in there and keep your head up! You will get through this. Only people that have had this surgery know whats it like. I hear comments all the time... like "I felt great after having my hysterectomy" And I'm like.... "Wow, cause I don't, I can't wait until I can say that I feel great! I can't eat anything without getting sick, I'm tired but I can't sleep and somedays I'm hating life when I wake up... but I know it will get better. Keep your chin up and things will get better!!! We are here if you need to hear how great you are doing. That's what we are here for!!

Happy Thanksgiving and take it easy!
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:18 PM

mrtngirrl:
I will say this: I am a very hard worker and get along with everyone (there are over 60 of us). I have a good reputation as a nurse. I know I am liked and needed, so there's no animosity. I guess I just need a funny one liner to shut down the stupid remarks. Let me know if you come up w/anything.
I'll be thinking too. I'm working at 7 am until 1 pm tomorrow morning. I plan on working my assets off to prove I'm back to normal.
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:19 PM

Michelle,
Sorry but what is A&P repair? I am assuming that you have lost alot of weight? Is that right? I'm not sure what health issues you have. I was just curious.

What is a bladder sling? I'm not sure what that is either?
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:22 PM

mrtngirrl- A&P repair is a procedure where the walls of the bladder and rectum are pulled back to their correct place, and the vaginal walls are sewn to correct the bulges that the walls created. A bladder sling is a common procedure done to correct urinary stress incontinence. Many women here have had it done w/the hyster. I've lost more than 12 % of my pre surgery body wt. I am 82-84 pounds right now. My doctor wants me to weigh 110. My personal goal is 95, or wherever my body wants to settle.
Unread 11-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Will do. I'll see if I can come up with something. Maybe for now when they do say something and it hurts your feelings.... just smile back and say "It's nice to see you too!"
You can't let them know that it hurt your feelings.... keep a smile on your face. That always gets people. Don't let anyone get you down. You are obviously a strong willed woman to be going back to work and wanting the hours. I am the same way. I'm not a lazy person, I want to get back up on my feet and get myself back to work so I can stay busy. You are doing a great job! (Just don't overdo it) You are right, they need to be concerned about you and the hours / shifts an asking if you are alright, not talking about how you look!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register