Leave the cervix or take it out, too | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leave the cervix or take it out, too Leave the cervix or take it out, too

Unread 10-01-2007, 04:28 PM
Leave the cervix or take it out, too

I am having a LAVH 12/13/07. I had decided to have a laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy (take the uterus only and leave the cervix), but since I am a 50 year old, divorced female and may become more sexually active with other partners, who has been more sexually active exposing me to HPV, and I had a bad pap smear back in 1979, the doctor suggested we take the cervix, too. It sounds very reasonable.

BUT!, what if taking the cervix inhibits my sexual function and I wished I hadn't had it taken and didn't need to have it taken, too. The uterus must come out because of large fibroids and heavy bleeding as well as painful sex. I am leaving the ovaries to hopefully keep sex as terrific as possible.

HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2007, 04:33 PM

i had the lsh and left my cervix and ovaries. i can only tell you from my experience that the only way my life has changed is that i dont get a period. i did have abnormal paps in the past but they were nothing to worry about. leaving the cervix or ovaries is really a personal decision. just do lots of research and do what you are most comfortable doing. good luck
Unread 10-01-2007, 04:51 PM

I had my cervix removed. Let me tell you, my sex life is better! No pain, and no bleeding, so sex anytime! My dh said that for him it feels better without a cervix; it seems to "hug" the tip of him better. I am tighter (after 4 vaginal births) so that sensation is better for him, too. A little painful for me during penetration, but then it is great! I know everyone is different, but all I can tell you is I don't miss my cervix!!! Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2007, 05:41 PM

I lost my cervix....didn't bat an eye at the thought. I had an abnormal pap many years ago and had a cryo procedure performed. No problem since, but why tempt it? My doctor felt (as did I) that if there has been an issue in the past, it's possible again and without the cervix there's no place for more potential cancer.

Don't know how the "it" factor will be ....I'm not that far out yet....BUT my DH had already said it wouldn't matter as long as I physically felt better. So far, so good and waiting for the next step.
Unread 10-01-2007, 05:52 PM

I had a LSH and kept my cervix to lend extra support to vaginal walls as I had problems with prolapse...something also to consider.....I also was afraid that it would effect my orgasms to remove it, but I have heard many women say it doesn't........seems you have not had an abnormal pap in almost 30 yrs so if you are still having paps done regularly than it should be whatever you prefer..good luck
Unread 10-01-2007, 06:16 PM

Hi Janepage,

I had a LSH and kept my ovaries and cervix. I am 3 yrs. post op now and my LSH is still one of the best things I ever did for my gyneo health.

In pre-op...my Dr. and I agreed it would be a good idea to leave my cervix since it was sturdy and I had not had any abnormal pap smears in the last 10 years. My Dr. also shared he felt the cervix helps with future pelvic support and with sex. For me...the sex is great with my DH.

In the end...just do what is *best* for you. That is what is most important.

Mary
Unread 10-01-2007, 08:42 PM

That stuff about the cervix for pelvic support really has no track record, no one has proved that it's so. My cervix is gone, and sex is still great, maybe better than before. Don't worry about that if you decide to have it removed.
Unread 10-02-2007, 06:18 AM

I am about 12 days post -op. I had the choice to keep or leave the cervix. I hate getting paps and worrying about abnormal results and my doc said it wouldn't affect my sex life, so I had it taken out. Overies left in. I haven't had sex yet, but I "tested" the big "O" and I felt no difference whatsoever in that category...except for one thing. When I had my uterus, I would feel a braxton-hicks like contraction after an "O", not painful, but wierd and uncomfortable. Now- voila! No cramp or contraction! Hooray!
So I am glad I had them take the cervix.
Unread 10-02-2007, 07:21 AM

My uro/gyn told me that even if my cervix was removed you still have to have paps as there could be abnormal cells left behind......also, whether or not it is a "proven" fact regarding keeping the cervix for support...I have read accts of women who chose to have all removed only to have prolapse issues fairly early down the line and never had it before..this happened also to the nurse at my reg gyno and one of the ladies I worked with......in my case my cervix acts as an anchor for my mesh too
Unread 10-02-2007, 07:25 AM

My surgeon/doc never mentioned to me that taking the cervix out would increase my chances of having a prolapse down the line. Nothing at all was said about such a thing. Egad- I can't imagine! I would hate to have my vajayjay falling out like a tampon string! I suppose if that happened someday, theremust be a procedure to glue it back in somehow!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register