Hormone Question. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Question. Hormone Question.

Unread 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Hormone Question.

Hello All!! I had a PAH on Sept. 20 after a failed ablation & my tubes tied. 3 weeks after that surgery I had a period(wasn't suppose to happen)The most severe period I have experienced. I have always had bad ones and that is why I had the surgery. I went to my doctor for the period on the 9-17 and had the PAH on 9-20. I have another sister that had an ablation and it worked out great for her. It turned out that I had fibroid systs on the uterus.

I am not sure what to expect about changes in hormones. My doctor left one ovary. Will I need to take hormones? Has anyone had to take hormones that had a similar situation to mine? I have a sister that had a TAH due to endrometriosis (sorry if misspelled) 5 years ago. She has gained alot of weight and has some other issues. I don't want to start growing hair on my face or gain alot of weight. The reason this is a concern is because in the last 2 years I have lost a total of 80 lbs and I don't want to gain it back.

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thank you in advance.

Jessie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Hormone Question.

Hi Jessie
I had an ablation that didn't work out too. We seem to be in the minority, but they are a good option for a lot of people.

For most women one ovary will kick in and serve them well, taking up the slack for the one that's missing. There are, however, no guarantees and it isn't unusual to experience some fluctuations as your body adjusts to the loss of the uterus and the other ovary. I kept both ovaries and they have done well. During the first few weeks they went into shock and I experienced hot flashes and pretty severe brain fog and emotional ups and downs. This seems to be pretty typical, but everyone's body is different and will respond in it's own way.

To answer your other question, there are women who keep at least one ovary who might end up on hormones too. I am using the Vivelle Dot now, just a low dose, but I'm at the age where my body is going into menopause. You are much younger and have a very good chance that you'll do just fine for quite a while.

If you will exercise regularly and keep your diet under control I believe you can keep your weight under control too. Here again there are many different stories and experiences. We're all so different, it isn't possible to say one situation will fit all of us. You might want to do some reading in the Hysteritaville forum to see how others have dealt with some of these issues. Keep in mind you are very early post op and will have to wait until you're released by your dr to begin exercising. Right now you want to take good care to yourself, eat well and let your body heal.

I hope some of this is helpful. Give your body time and I think you'll see it will usually balance out. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 10-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Hormone Question.

Hello Jessie!

I had a failed ablation as well. I had my tubes tied, and my periods started getting worse, so my doctor tried the ablation, to no avail. So I ended up with a supracervical abdominal hysterectomy. I kept both ovaries, but I'm having symptoms of menopause. I am leery about hormones as well, because I take some pretty nasty medications for Crohn's, and I also lost a lot of weight (63 pounds so far this year!) and don't want to gain it back! Are you having any symptoms yet, or just curious? I'm going back to the doctor on Tuesday, and I can't wait to ask him about all the things I've been feeling.

Best of luck to you!

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2007, 03:36 PM
Hormone Question.

Hello, I had two failed ablations before I had my TVH. My first one was over 10 years agowhen they were done with a rollerball......... It looks like we all fell into the 10% bracket. I always thought I was alone............GUess not!
Unread 10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Hormone Question.

Hi Shannon!
I have been having spells of brain fogs(probably the pain pills),also some highs and lows. But I can also associate that with the surgery and not having had the time to get used to it and the fact that I can't work right now. One thing I am experiencing right now that I didn't have before the surgery is extremely dry skin on my feet and on just my left hand. Isn't that weird!! My right hand is fine, but my left hand is really flaky. I am mainly scared. I can remember what my mom went through when she went through menopause. I lost her when she was 55 and she was still having symptoms of menopause. Her doctor had put her on Primpro and she didn't do well on it at all.
My doctor said that she would try to keep both ovaries but said that she might have to take both. I could have told her just to go ahead and take them, but I didn't want to get thrown into instant menopause. So, I got lucky that I was able to keep atleast one.

Thank you for your reply and also the best of luck to you! I will keep you in my prayers for your recovery. to you as well

Jessie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register