It's over! I'm home! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

It's over! I'm home! It's over! I'm home!

Unread 10-06-2007, 07:49 AM
It's over! I'm home!

Good to hear all is well with you Slipperlady. I'll be heading to the castle on Monda the 8th. I had a total cry session yesterday.The first time it really hit me and I wa scared. Your story helped. Thanks a bunnch (TAH)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2007, 08:04 AM
It's over! I'm home!

I wish you the best! As they all say "be positive". If I hear that one more time 'm going to scream.LOL I am leaving on a big trip in a few hrs. and when I return I'll be going for my pre op stuff. On 11/15 I will have a laparoscopy and hope I will not have to have the hyster. But, because I always see the glass half empty I need to prepare myself. I look forward to hearing about what's been happening to you. Good Luck!
Unread 10-06-2007, 08:04 AM
It's over! I'm home!

Hi Notso,
Well, it is Saturday morning now. I am hobbling about some but it is not so bad. I am still taking pain pills at night and it helps me sleep some too. Every morning I change into different pjs to remind me that it is a new day and to let DH know that I am not ready to do housework! I know from a previous injury, that if you look like you are in the shape you normally are, they expect you to do the usual things. My doctor surprised me by letting me shower right away and that helps to feel human. Just have to pat incision and be careful staples don't hook up on towel. Owie! I can see the light at the end of the tunnel in a few weeks. The only gripe I have is from friends who say "Call me if you need anything' and never show up again. I can sweep a pile of dirt but can't put it in the dustpan. I can scramble eggs but can't lift the pan to soak. A nice swish of the toilet would be appreciated. People think about things like bringing over meals but not practical everyday things. It is teaching me though. I will know what to do for someone else when it is their turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2007, 08:14 AM
It's over! I'm home!

I can't believe you answered so quickly, it's wonderful! I'm so happy that you can do what ypu're doing. AS for the pain, my Dr. said that they have something that looks like a ball and the insert it where the incision is. The medication drips out so I wouldn't have to take meds. After 4 days she takes it out. It's supposed to lessen the pain. Did you have anythin g like that? You know I don't even know for sure what's going to happen to me! I've always had fibroids and some have reduced. However I have a 4.6cm mas that is new and they can't distinguish what is is, a fibroid, cyst or whatever.I am post menopausal and fibroids shouldn't grow they should shrink. My uterus is also abnormal, and very large due to the fibroids. So, when she goes in she'll determine what has to be done. I've done so many tests and everyone can't figure where or what this mass is. I'm really frightened. Thank goodness I have a fantastic husband who shops, cooks and will even clean if he had to. WEll, we're leaving for Papua, New Guinea this afternoon(near Australia, so I hope you can send me one more reply. If not, I will contact you upon our return 10/24. Nice meeting you! Thans
Unread 10-06-2007, 12:26 PM
It's over! I'm home!

Hey notso!, I'm not sure if you have left yet. If not, have a good trip.
When my surgery was over I asked the doctor what she saw in there. She said one fibroid was about the size of a grapefruit, another like a ping-pong ball and others of various sizes. No wonder I felt pregnant and poochy all the time! Even though I will have to work to get my stomach flat, it would not have been possible before with all that stuff in there.
Like you, I was very afraid, but that is only because we don't know what is to happen. These people deal with situations every day and know what to do so we are in very good hands. I'm not sure about that ball thing for pain. I had a morphine drip and it worked very well. Now they sent me home with oxycodin (sp?) and called yesterday and said that next week they will give me a prescription for Vicodin. Both seem to work well for pain. Besides, every day we heal more and make progress. I know that some ladies have had some problems and I am not trying to minimize them. I only know my experience and so far it has been good. I am not going to try to do things too much too early not matter what though because I want this to be a one time thing with no needed repairs because of my silliness.
This site has been very helpful. Be sure to keep looking back at it.
Unread 10-06-2007, 01:55 PM
It's over! I'm home!

Hey Slipperlady, whe You asked the Doctor what she saw in there, I can't but to ask this question, because alot of sisters don't know what was taken etc. during surgery. What were all the vaginal and doppler ultrasounds for? I guess this means when I go into surgery Monday morn. their will likely be more they find than what they saw in the ultrasounds.
Unread 10-06-2007, 02:29 PM
It's over! I'm home!

What a sigh of relief Slipperlady you must be making. I am three days from my surgery. Is there any chance that you might have been able to go home after only one night in the hospital? I'm anxious about staying two nights and being away from my babies.
Unread 10-06-2007, 02:48 PM
It's over! I'm home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobtrue
Hey Slipperlady, whe You asked the Doctor what she saw in there, I can't but to ask this question, because alot of sisters don't know what was taken etc. during surgery. What were all the vaginal and doppler ultrasounds for? I guess this means when I go into surgery Monday morn. their will likely be more they find than what they saw in the ultrasounds.

I wondered the same thing. In my case, all of the measurements (of uterus, fibroids, etc) on the pathology report matched very closely with what the ultrasound said. That tells me that u/s technology is pretty darn accurate. When she went in, she also found minor adhesive disease and some benign cysts on the cervix. But, all in all, the dx from the u/s was right on the money.
Unread 10-07-2007, 01:06 AM
It's over! I'm home!

I think for the most part that they can tell what to expect but occasionally there might be some surprises. I wasn't sure going in if I was coming out with tubes or ovaries because she couldn't tell their condition until she got in. Happily, I got to keep them and didn't have to wake up with instant menopause, although I'm at that age anyway. As far as the hospital stay goes, I went in Monday and came home Wed about noon, so it wasn't quite 2 full days. I would have liked to have spent another night but didn't really need to and wasn't sure the insurance would pay so packed up and went home. I can stay in bed here as well as there. I hope those of you with babies will have some help though. Remember your belly pillow. My DH accidently put his hand on my tummy and leaned on it without thinking! It about gave him a heart attack but I had my pillow blocking and quickly moved him out of the way before anything could happen! Sometimes we just don't think.
Unread 10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
It's over! I'm home!

The instant menopause is tough but bearable.....my docs put me on an antidepressant called effexor to conunteract the hot flashes and the depression, they opted for that before hormones....they also mentioned acupuncture too.....my apartment is always at 68*!!!!! thank god for central air and fans!!!!! i really havent experienced the mood swings, just the hot flashes and crying......i think my staff at work is happy with that!!!! as for covering my belly, im 4 months post op and i still kinda hold my hand over it when there is a crowd....its just a proctection for myself, wether it is mental, it gives me security. i'm glad i am on this side now....my doctor realized it had been some time since my last pap smear and ordered one for me, his nurse practitioner felt the mass on my left ovary!!!! she sent me for and mri and transvaginal probe and two weeks later i was in surgery habing a tah......everything for me happened so quickly that i didnt have time to even think about it.....just never expected at 38 to have this happen to me, but counseling has been the best thing for me, and all my new sisters on this website, i love being here!!!!!

tah / stage one ovarian / stage one cervical with a grade 3 invasive tumor / ovaries taken / clean margins and lymphnodes!!!!! no post op treatment needed!!!!!!!!!!!! Loving life, loving my doctor who made me get the pap smear and to the nurse practioner that found the mass!!!!! besides counseling and this website and new found sisters, the Fran Drescher book "Cancer Schmancer" helped a lot, felt like i was reading about myself!!!! if you read it, you should let your family members read it and let them realize what you are going through.....i left a message in the book and my counselot is going to pass it along, after each women reads it they have to leave a message for the next woman who reads it...........

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register