18 days till surgery, kinda freakin out here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

18 days till surgery, kinda freakin out here 18 days till surgery, kinda freakin out here

Unread 10-06-2007, 11:08 AM
18 days till surgery, kinda freakin out here

First of all I want to thank all you ladies who answered my last Thread. TY TY TY
I've not had a period in over a year and a half, blood work says I'm in menopause. I having my ovaries, tubes ,and uterus removed. Uterus because of fibriods and Ovaries because of a cyst that changed. I had that special blood test for ovarian cancer and thank good it was normal
Also I had internal sono and the cysts are clear, but Dr says before anything changes remove them and I agree.
My concern is I hear so much negativity about all this hormonal stuff. I don't want to take hormones cause breast cancer is very heavy in my family and I heard hormones can bring on breast cancer.
So whats a girl to do?? Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2007, 05:55 PM

Sorry, I can't speak for the ovary/hormone situation but wanted to push you to push your doc for more info on the pros/cons or replacement hormones. Many women (non-hystersisters, like my mom) weren't given the information about the length of time for taking them and took/take them much longer than was advisable medically.

We'll both be going in the same day. Oct 25th, right? Good luck!
Unread 10-06-2007, 08:43 PM

lunatic,

I think I was more freaked out about the sudden menopause nightmare I had created in my mind than over the actual hysterectomy! I met with my doctor about two weeks post op to talk over HRT therapy. We waited that long to see what symptoms I'd experience. (I'm 49 but was still having regular periods.) We did decide to got with HRT until my mid 50's. My sister had breast cancer at 38, but it was not estrogen related. The main reason I went on was because of brain fog, and moodiness. I'm on the lowest dose possible. Good news, no hot flashes!

Just talk openly with your doctor. This varies so much case by case.

Good luck on your surgeries! I have no regrets!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-06-2007, 11:35 PM

I freaked out a lot when I first heard I had to have one. I heard I had cancer and I cried, then dr said hysterectomy and I cried even harder! I was more terrified of the surgery than the cancer.

I was given a surgery date 2 weeks ago and got terrified again. But now I find I'm calmer than I thought I would be. It's like I'm going inside myself and preparing mentally. Today I bought a nightie in case I can wear it at the hospital and a pair of pj's for lounging on the couch. It made me feel good to prepare. I am going to another city for my surgery so I'm going to pack a seprate little bag for the hospital in addition to clothing for the 2 days prior. I'm taking the suggestion from another thread and packing extra undies

I find the whole process has been a comfort in some ways. . .I have to go to a pre-admission clinic where they do the pre-op AND prepare you for discharge. Everyone is so matter of fact that I'll be fine afterwards. . .it really eases my fears. I'm going to live!

I do not believe that I'll be taking HRT due to having endo cancer. Even if offered I won't take it. I'm 42 and definately more scared of being catapaulted into menopause than having cancer. I thought I'd have 10 more years before dealing with it. I've bought books to read so I understand better what is going to happen with my body. I'm going to try the diet, exercise and supplement route and then effexor or paxil if needed.

I found these forums so helpful. . .the experiences of other sisters has been invaluable! The information and stories here has helped make that whole surgical unknown less scary for me.

Good luck and *hugs*
Unread 10-07-2007, 08:36 AM

Thank you all for your replies. And Ms Frankie I made a mistake my surgery is the 24th, So Good luck to youi and I'll talk to you when we're all done with this. I hear the waiting is the worst...Amen to that.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register