Hysterectomy dates Oct 08-Oct 15,2007 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 08-Oct 15,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 08-Oct 15,2007

Unread 10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 08-Oct 15,2007

I had a LAVH on the 10th as well. The dr. took everything but the cervix. Today was the first day that I did not have to take the percoset during the day. However, I can tell right now I am going to need one prior to bed. I have been taking one dose of milk of magnesia at night and have had no problems with the BM's. That has made life much easier. I have also found that if I walk outside and measure how far I walk in driveways, I feel a little bit better each day. I am up to 6 driveways and I usually feel better after the walk. Although, the cat could get there and back quicker than I can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Hi you lovely ladies, I had my surgery on Oct. 9th it was a TVH, with A&P repair with a catheter that I got to wear home for a week. Plus they let me keep my only ovary, the other one was removed 6 years ago, had a large cyst on it.

Don't remember much from the first day totally out of it, Alottt of pain, packing was horendous, thank god no one told me about that stuff before hand.. I would have been freeking out. Didn't even know that I had visitors[family] watching over me the first day. Packing was removed the next day, now that was awesome, oh what a relief, still ached alot, and need those darn pain meds but felt so much better. Had BM wasn't so bad very loose stool. No Problem in that department. Now the catheter bites. Took it out yesterday myself. Dr. told me how to do it. Afraid I have a UTI. Dr. is checking my sample my sister in law dropped off. On and off sleeping alot of depression but that also can still be due to the fact mom just past away less than 2 mos. ago. Trying to do to much when I first got home, not much for just sitting around. DH yelled alot at me, finally listening to him and actually resting, but seems to make me more depressed. Like I am useless, and I am lonely. I need to stay busy. I miss her.

I pray I will start feeling better. I want to be fun again and my old self. Right now I feel like a lump who doesn't do nothing but whine or cry.
Unread 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Awwwww....((((((Alicia))))). I am sorry that you are going thru this depression. Hang in there girl, I'm sure things will get better. I too seem to be more depressed when I am not busy. Too much time to think.....at least that is what I attribute it to.

I can't imagine having the cath in that long. I only had mine in for not even 24 hours and I am still having bladder spasms. I also feel like I can't empty my bladder completely.

I personally believe that sleep is good for you and your recovery. I try to sleep as much as I can. Now, mind you, I know that walking also helps. But, listen to your DH and take it easy on yourself and try to enjoy this "down" time. Just remember your life will be back to its busy normal self soon enough.

Take Care....Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 11:37 PM

Hi

I have been drinking alot of water and taking walks around the house, but maybe I haven't been walking enough!... My back starts hurting like right now, as I am sitting in a hard office like chair, but when I get up and walk around it goes away. This morning though, it hurt for a longer period of time because I forced myself to sit at the computer and it even hurt when I laid down. I have my 2 week post op exam next week on the 26th, so if it is still bothering me I will mention if to my Dr.... in the meantime, I will increase my walking as you suggested.

Thanks for the feed back and I wish you continued success with your recovery as well.

I am going to bed now, but will keep you updated.... 's .... dee
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:02 AM
When does menopause start

Had TAH/BSO on the 11th. While I'm already 49 1/2, testing done prior to surgery did not indicate that I was in menopause (still was having regular periods along with spotting/bleeding mid-cycle every month for about 4 months). My surgeon said that while the FSH/LH did not indicate that I was in menopause, I was probably peri or pre-menopausal, anyway. I'm wondering when we start getting hotflashes, and what other wonderful menopausal symptoms we should be looking for.

By the way, I'm feeling pretty good, still taking high-dose ibuprofen around the clock, and about 3 Percocet throughout the day/night. Fully expect to request additional narcotics at my follow-up appointment tomorrow. Someone mentioned changed tastes in an earlier post... WATER tastes strange to me. We are blessed with excellent tap water in my area, and it tastes just awful since I came home from the Hospital.
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverimagined
Had TAH/BSO on the 11th. While I'm already 49 1/2, testing done prior to surgery did not indicate that I was in menopause (still was having regular periods along with spotting/bleeding mid-cycle every month for about 4 months). My surgeon said that while the FSH/LH did not indicate that I was in menopause, I was probably peri or pre-menopausal, anyway. I'm wondering when we start getting hotflashes, and what other wonderful menopausal symptoms we should be looking for.
I'm 51 and I was peri-menopausal. I had semi-regular periods with lots of clots and cramping. There were months that I didn't have a period at all! I did have a couple hot
flashes and wake up too warm (not sweating) at night.

I had a TVH/BSO on Oct 9 and still have had 3 hot flashes since surgery and have waken up too warm at night. I had my one week Post Op with my Dr yesterday and we're taking a wait and see attitude with HRT. He feels that I was far enough along in Menopause that I may not need HRT at all. We'll see. My Dr did say that my vaginal PH is imbalanced and did prescribe something for that. I take it for 14 days, twice a day. Yippee, more pills!

I'm down to one Motrin a day, usually in the evening. I have horses so I take care of them every day and do my fair share of walking. No lifting other than what is comfy for me. My Dr has set another appt for 4 weeks from now. Then I'll probably get the OK for back to normal stuff.

Take care all!
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LADYLIBRARY
Don't remember much from the first day totally out of it, Alottt of pain, packing was horendous, thank god no one told me about that stuff before hand.. I would have been freeking out. Didn't even know that I had visitors[family] watching over me the first day. Packing was removed the next day, now that was awesome, oh what a relief, still ached alot, and need those darn pain meds but felt so much better. .... On and off sleeping alot of depression but that also can still be due to the fact mom just past away less than 2 mos. ago. Trying to do to much when I first got home, not much for just sitting around. DH yelled alot at me, finally listening to him and actually resting, but seems to make me more depressed. Like I am useless, and I am lonely. I need to stay busy. I miss her.

I pray I will start feeling better. I want to be fun again and my old self. Right now I feel like a lump who doesn't do nothing but whine or cry.
Big to you Alicia! You're post gave me a flashback to the day after surgery. No one told me either about that god-awful packing inside and it suddenly began to expel and I threw a hissy fit cause I didn't know what was going on (major hits of morphine every 12 minutes plus an additional bolus now and the did not help my inability to comprehend LOL).

I'm going crazy too, sitting around all day and all my normal neurotic "issues" have no way of being distracted so I feel more squirrely and at times depressed than normal. Going through the loss of your mom at such a significant time in your life is a major MAJOR deal, honey, so please, be extra extra pampering and loving of yourself and request help from your DH and friends in that regard too. Even little things like foot rubs, back rubs, any nurturing thing you can think of can help. Also I hear (haven't gone there yet myself) more walking will produce more endorphins which will help balance out the chemical (serotonin, dopamine, etc) issues at hand.

My DH yelled at me big time last night too cause I keep trying to do more than I should. I too feel like an unproductive, terribly unattractive lump. One day I even put on make-up just so I could at least feel like a more attractive lump. LOL.

Lean on your friends here and there for this crazy ride. I really appreciate your posting.

Sassy Shar
Unread 10-18-2007, 11:35 AM

Thanks for the reply. I feel better knowing the "blood gush" thing isn't uncommon. So far I haven't had any more. It's been 10 days and I have to say I've improved alot over that time. Still slow to walk but standing more upright. Yeah, gas is a problem but that's ok. Nice to hear you're doing well.
Unread 10-19-2007, 04:37 AM

Hi, I had my hysterectomy on 11th Oct, just home and feeling pretty well considering.
I had a total so they took everything, due to my suffering of emdometriosis for years. Hope to keep you all updated.
Love and hugs to you all xx
Unread 10-19-2007, 04:00 PM
follow-up appointment

Had surgery on the 11th, TAH/BSO; massive fibroids, 5 cm cyst, adhesions, endometriosis/adenomyosis. Steri-strips removed (no staples, my surgeons are artists, I swear). Doing very well; can drive when I feel up to it (I don't, still too much pain, especially where ovary & tube had to peeled off of abdominal wall); still huge lifting restrictions (ie., can go to grocery store, but don't plan on picking up a gallon of milk); cautioned against doing too much too soon. She suggested letting the family do as much as possible to help me, at least through my next (& probably last) follow-up in 4 weeks.

I'm noticing lots of physical changes for the better already; no pimples (severe breakouts since the beginning of summer); no bladder pressure 24/7; no irritable bowel; and no backache (although I didn't realize how sore my back had been til yesterday). Yep, started having hot flashes already, but my gyne does not want to start HRT unless they are unmanageable (nor do I).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register