Has anyone had a Da Vinci hysterectomy? Q about recovery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone had a Da Vinci hysterectomy? Q about recovery Has anyone had a Da Vinci hysterectomy? Q about recovery

Unread 10-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Has anyone had a Da Vinci hysterectomy? Q about recovery

I'm trying to figure out what the average recovery time is for a Da Vinci assisted hysterectomy. I'm keeping my ovaries (if they are healthy when the doc gets in there) and probably cervix too. The nurse I scheduled through said "six weeks" but I think they tell everyone that. I keep reading a bout how the da vinci is so much faster to recover from.

If you had one, how long did you take time off from work? If you don't work, how long did it take before you were clear to go back to normal activities?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2007, 10:46 PM

You can do a site search to read other threads discussing the Da Vinci assisted hyst. You may also want to look through the Resource Database for information.

Even with the Da Vinci robot assist, you are still having a major surgery and your body will need time to heal. Talk to your doctor specifically about what is okay for you and when. Only your doctor knows specifically what is best for you. And generally your employer will ask for a doctor's release before you can return to work.

Best wishes to you for a successful surgery and recovery!
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinyes
I'm trying to figure out what the average recovery time is for a Da Vinci assisted hysterectomy. I'm keeping my ovaries (if they are healthy when the doc gets in there) and probably cervix too. The nurse I scheduled through said "six weeks" but I think they tell everyone that. I keep reading a bout how the da vinci is so much faster to recover from.

If you had one, how long did you take time off from work? If you don't work, how long did it take before you were clear to go back to normal activities?

Hi....I had the DaVinci robotic surgery in August....I woke up with no real pain to speak of as I made sure the nurses and anesthiologist had that under control.....I was surprised that I had no pain upon awakening...the most uncomfortable I got was the first time I had to walk to the bathroom...hunched over..that was not bad..it was just that the toilets were so low that I had a hard time.....anyway...I was cleared to resume some activities at 2 weeks, still no bathing, lifting, vacuuming,sec...walk as much as my body will let me and believe me it will tell you when you have overdone it......I was up and around the first day home....I found that the first couple of days I was walking hunched over and it was hard on the back...so my mom bought me over one of those metal walkers and soon I was walking all over straight up......I think when it says faster recovery time with the DaVinci it probably means that you will be more able to move about without the big abdominal incision....you still have to be careful and let your body heal for the time the doctor tells you to no matter how good you feel..at 1 week I was driving and felt wonderful...I did not take anything stronger than Motrin after the first 2 1/2 days.....week 2 I felt great and started to clean, cook, laundry and by week 3 I knew I was doing tooooo much so I cut back again...you will feel like you want to do everything but just really try to do as little as possible so that your body can heal internally...swelly belly may still be with me at almost 7 wks now...some days more so than others..most of the normal little sharp pains you will experience over the weeks are now pretty much gone for me........a big plus also is that the 4 incisions I have are hardly noticeable and so small....some less than 1 inch!!..Good luck and hopefully your recovery will go as well as mine!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 08:35 PM

Just met with my surgeon today, who plans to do a DaVinci assisted LSH. I was told 4-6 week recovery time, but he said that everyone's recovery is different. I'm on my feet all day at work and very active (I am a teacher), and he seemed to think I'd need to plan for the longer recovery time.
Best wishes with your procedure!
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgjmg
Just met with my surgeon today, who plans to do a DaVinci assisted LSH. I was told 4-6 week recovery time, but he said that everyone's recovery is different. I'm on my feet all day at work and very active (I am a teacher), and he seemed to think I'd need to plan for the longer recovery time.
Best wishes with your procedure!
I think so too..definetely...I still find it hard to be on my feet for long periods of time...I still get a little swelly belly from afternoon on and I am 8 wks now....I did also have mesh repairs...but I really never felt them at all...in fact I questioned that the doc even did any repair work....LOL...but if you can get 8 weeks or so I would take it...is time of the essence...do you need to have this done quickly....maybe you could plan it for the summer???.....Everyone is different so if you are used to being on your feet all day maybe it won't be so bad....I still get very tired...I just started back to work last week..only 15-20hrs....I am on my feet only about half the time...maybe if need be you can adopt a more sit-down approach to teaching for awhile if you feel standing too long is too much...but I am sure you will be fine...I had almost no pain what so ever....just the getting in and out of bed the first few days until I got the hang of it....good luck...did he tell you when.....maybe you could schedule it so you get the extra holiday vacation added to the 6 weeks...just a thought
Unread 10-17-2007, 08:51 PM

My recovery was amazingly identical to Ribyra732 and mine was an LAVH. I'm at 4 weeks post op. It is the insides that we don't see that remind you to take it easy. I drove week 1 and had my final post op week 3. Dr. said to take it easy 6 wks.
Unread 10-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies & stories about your experiences. I checked with my supervisor, and I will need to get a doc's release to come back to work. The good thing is that my company is wonderful and working with me on my being out. I'm an admin, so I sit at a desk all day, and my job isn't physically demanding.
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:06 AM
Da Vinci surgery

I had the da vinci surgery on Oct 4th. They had told me 3-4 hours,,but ended up taking 7 hours! I believe the prep was one hour. I had everything taken out, because of endo cancer diagnosis.
2 weeks later and I feel pretty good. Incisions are healing well,, but still have abdomen soreness (inside stitches are trying to heal)
It is still major surgery ..of course, depends on your age also on how fast you recover. I am 59, but was in good physical shape before.
I only took pain pills for 2 days when I got home. I took IB pro. which worked well..
best of luck to you!
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunbelle
I had the da vinci surgery on Oct 4th. They had told me 3-4 hours,,but ended up taking 7 hours! I believe the prep was one hour. I had everything taken out, because of endo cancer diagnosis.
2 weeks later and I feel pretty good. Incisions are healing well,, but still have abdomen soreness (inside stitches are trying to heal)
It is still major surgery ..of course, depends on your age also on how fast you recover. I am 59, but was in good physical shape before.
I only took pain pills for 2 days when I got home. I took IB pro. which worked well..
best of luck to you!

Sunbelle..good for you..you sound like you are doing good...I also only took the pain pills for first 2 days...than the Motrin was good enough....I also was told 2-3 hrs and mine took 8 1/2 as there were some issues with arm adjustments...all in all though, besides that I thought it was a great surgery as far as recovery wise..best of luck to you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register