Lupron | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Lupron

Hey everyone - anyone take the Lupron therapy before the surgery? I just had my first injection last week, and was wondering about side effects, etc. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Lupron

Hi Kriskrat,

I did (3) months of lupron shots to shrink my fibroids before my hyst. Lupron causes temporary chemical menopause. I had hot flashes and night sweats and I lost interest in sex. And that all being said..the side effects were bearable for me. Also, a plus was that my 24/7 pelvic pressure from my fibroids decreased and that made me feel more comfortable. And...I stopped having lupron side efects right before my surgery. For me...lupron was a success.

I read your first post and it sounds like your Dr. has you on lupron to help shrink your fibroids some and/or or to stop your monthly periods to bring up your blood count before surgery. My periods stopped while I was on lupron.

A footnote...my 2 sisters also had hysts for fibroids and they both did lupron before their hysts too. We all had different Drs...so lupron does get prescribed.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 10-09-2007, 12:17 PM
Lupron

kriskrat,

I did 10 months of Lupron about 6 years ago. I had all the lovely menopausal symptoms, but no bleeding and no pain....I had to go on "add back" therapy because the hot flashes and night sweats were so awful. I also went on anti-depressants because I was an emotional wreck!

Lupron effects different people differently. It has it's pros and cons. I don't regret doing it. I think it bought me some time, allowing me to wait 6 years before my hysterectomy.....instead of having it at age 30, I'm having it at 36.

Good Luck,
Christine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2007, 12:52 PM
Lupron

For me it was a good thing. It shrunk everything dramatically in 2 1/2 months, so I could have a laproscopic procedure rather than the full deal abdominal cut. I had a good recovery overall too. The dr. was amazed that things shrunk that dramatically, and physically I felt great before my surgery, to the point I could have put it off! But I'm 45 and a hyst needed to happen as my family history indicates no menopause til over 50, so those fibroids would just keep growing. My uterus was the size of a 22 wk pregnancy, and I had just had enough. Only problem I had was being weepy and mentally depressed, but that could have been attributed to mourning the fact I would never have a child. I'm still glad that I did it, I feel loads better now. Hope it helps.
Unread 10-09-2007, 01:47 PM
Lupron

You guys are awesome! I feel so much better that I went through with the Lupron therapy. My Uterus is at 17 weeks, with 3 of my 7 fibroids measuring 6 cm each...I really want these to shrink! I really don't want the hyst either, but I'm better off doing this for health reasons. Family history has menopause at 55 +...long time to wait if I went with the myomectomy! No children for me, but I'm coming to terms with that! I'm so thankful for the feedback!!
Unread 10-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Lupron

Hey, any time. Just remember, if you hit a low, it won't last. My dr. wanted me to go talk to someone (counseling for grief issues!) but I never did. I may still do that at some point, but right now I'm doing great. Let us know if you need to vent. Best to you and take care!
Unread 10-09-2007, 05:34 PM
Lupron

I also did the lupron injection 3 ( 3 months apart) and I'm glad I did because I had 6 large fibroids and uterus 22wks enlarged. I too had and still have the menopausal symptoms like hot flashes and night sweats. My moodiness/tearful times are gone and I've had no period since Feb. My dr said at my last injection that the lupron will also help to make the surgery safer because of the blood decrease, so for my there was more pros then cons for taking lupron. Goodluck to you
Unread 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Lupron

Hey katd - wow, I'm so glad everything worked out for you. I'm experiencing the hot flashes now...and heck, I'm so moody about the op that I can't tell if it's the Lupron or me!! Thanks so much for your feedback!
Unread 10-10-2007, 06:36 PM
Lupron

I was on lupron (1x per month for 6 months) and it worked wonderfully for me. I did have the hot flashes and night sweats but that was taken care of with a 1 mg Estrace tablet. The only other side effect for me was a loss of appetite (and, therefore, weight loss). I had no mood changes. And, not having to deal with a period was wonderful!
Unread 10-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Lupron

Cool - thanks for the reply. I went through a night sweat last night, very wierd. I'm hoping that this will help shrink the fibroids, like everyone is saying. I hope your recovery is going well!

Big hugs!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register