Patches wont stay on??!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Patches wont stay on??!! Patches wont stay on??!!

Unread 10-11-2007, 07:02 AM
Patches wont stay on??!!

Hey. I had a TVH on 9-10-07 due to severe endo and adenomyosis, pain and uterine prolapse. I only had 1/2 of my rt ovary left at that point and b/c my maternal g-ma had ovarian cancer (and my endo hx) she went ahead and took it. I have to say that after years of pain - 5 laps, 1 d&c, a c-section and brain surgery ( i had a benign pituitary tumor removed last year 10 wks after a c-section!) this was the easiest surgery i've had. recovery has been great with the exception of getting these STINKING patches to stick!!! Any suggestions?

I am on the Climara 0.1 patch, name brand - dr said was better than the generic - is this the case? anyone use name brand and switch to generic? she mentioned the vivelle dot b/c you switch them twice a week. Please help...so far the pacth seems to be working when it stays on, but then yesterday i "flashed" and was just plain hot all day, then realized this morning when i took a shower that there was a big air pocket in the center of the patch....no wonder, huh?? any suggestions would be great!!

thanks, jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Patches wont stay on??!!

I have found if I make sure to apply pressure to the patch when I put it on for a few minutes they are staying on for the week. I'm into my fifth week using them. The first couple fell off early. When I got the bubble after showering I would dry off and reflatten out the patch and it would hold. Good luck.
Unread 10-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Patches wont stay on??!!

before i put a new patch on i clean the area with alcohol,let dry .then put half of the patch on.i hold this down with my hand for about 1 min,then peel of the rest of the backing and i hold it down firmly for another min.as i put it on i try to get it as flat as i can with no air bubbles.i hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Patches wont stay on??!!

I saw a suggestion on this site to warm the patch with a hair dryer before you put it on will help it to stick. I take mine out of the package, and before I peel anything off the patch, I point the hairdryer at it, and get it nice and warm. I make sure where I am going to put it is clean, no lotions, and it is dry. When I put in on, I hold it for a little bit, and it seems to hold very well. I started with Climara, and went quickly to the generic (much more economical) and have had no problems. Also, you might try Tegaderm patches over the top of your hormone patch. If I going swimming, or something like that, it helps it to stick much better.
Unread 10-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Patches wont stay on??!!

I haven't tried warming up a patch before I applied it, but I do make sure my skin is clean and dry. If it is humid and I don't feel my skin is real dry, then I wipe it with some alchohol and dry it with the hair dryer. Then after I apply the patch I blow warm air from the hair dryer on it for just a few seconds. This seems to make it stick better for me. You do want to be careful not to burn yourself with a hot hairdryer though.

Some women are able to use the generic form of Climara without any problems. It is the exact same estradiol in both patches. The difference is in the adhesive. For some women it doesn't stick as well. Other women have sensitivity issues and develop rashes from it. Many women are very happy with it. It does cost less , so if cost is an issue then it might be worth a try.

I am currently using the vivelle dot and I like it because it is smaller and gets changed twice a week and my skin gets less irritated. I liked the Climara though too

s,
Kay
Unread 10-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Patches wont stay on??!!

thanx...i'm at a loss. I have done the alcohol trick too, not the hair drier though. I went today and price checked the diff in the name brand vs generic on the climara - about $50 diff. The vivelle dot of course has no generic form so it is expensive...but i may have to go to it if i want to keep doing the patches...thanks again for the info!!
Unread 10-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Patches wont stay on??!!

When I woke up from surgery I had a Climara patch on. I used them for two weeks and like you had trouble with them coming off. Finally I switched to a pill form of estrogen and so far that seems to be a lot less troublesome for me.
Unread 10-17-2007, 06:54 AM
Patches wont stay on??!!

I use the Nexcare tegaderm dressing over mine, works wonderfully, stays on all week.
Unread 10-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Patches wont stay on??!!

Good Morning Ladies,

I too am using the Climara Patch. I went through an entire month's worth of patches because they were just falling off me when I least knew it, and was finding them in my clothes, on the floor, in the laundry, and so on. What I have done is take bandaids and taped them on my body. That is the only way I can the patch to stay put. I did try the alcohol method, but that didn't work. Then I tried holding one side down at a time (I had my dh do this one for me). That was one of the first ones to come right off.

I just hope this works for others as it has for me.

I wish you all only the best.

Blessings All Around,
Roseptl
Unread 10-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Patches wont stay on??!!

Thanks for pre-alcohol wipe tip and the Nexcare tegaderm dressing. I have the prescription for Climara .025mg (low dose) and have yet to read the information package. I I have not started on the patch yet, but plan on it in a few days. Once I do, I'll try it and see if it helps my symptoms. From what I am reading it is a good idea to also get blood levels checked along with the Thyroid levels.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register