colonoscopy after TAH - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colonoscopy after TAH colonoscopy after TAH

Unread 10-17-2007, 05:16 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

I have been reading the comments about having a colonoscopy. I was suppose to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy done prior to having my hysterectomy because I have reflux and hx of pilops (spell) I cancelled them both until after the hyster. I was wondering how soon I should schedule the procedure. I have had it done before and it is not that unpleasant because they give you medication to relax and forget!!! I had some mild cramping afterwards but I slept most of the day after the procedure. I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 05:36 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Hey Ladies...

I am one week post-op today. I had a LSH and am recovering well. I am scheduled for an EGD and colonoscopy next Friday. So, at that time, I'll be over 2 weeks out.

I have had both procedures done before due to colon ulcers and Barrett's Disease. I am not worried about the procedure itself. Like Alaiyo said, with the meds they give you during the procedures, it isn't that unpleasant. What does concern me is having it done so soon after my surgery. I am not all that sore now but I don't want to be sore afterwards. My GI doctor's office said they didn't think it should be a problem. I honestly haven't talked to my GYN about it yet....I have a follow-up appt with him soon and will talk to him then.

I want to have to EGD and colonoscopy while I'm already off work. I am hoping to go back to work at week 3. Anyone have either of these procedures done soon after hysterectomy? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks! Melissa
Unread 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

When I was about 6 weeks post-op, my gyne said it'd be ok to have the colonoscopy and I finally got around to scheduling it (I'm 10 weeks post-op now). I think it'd depend on how comfortable you are with being moved around.

Now, I'm not worried about the procedure itself but more about the prep. Taking pills instead of drinking that stuff should help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2007, 09:16 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Personally, I think that a colonoscopy should be a part of everyone's exam. It's one of the cancers that if caught early, can usually be cured. Sometimes with no further treatment like chemo or radiation. I am 45 now but I had my first one when I was 42. Not because it runs in my family, but because I was bleeding. It turned out to be an infection that caused the blood. But after that scare, I promised myself that I would always keep up to date with the colonoscopies. If everything is ok, my next one will be in 4 to 5 years. I'm hoping by then that they have something better to do the prep with than that Fleet Phospho Soda. God, that stuff is horrible tasting. But your life is worth it.
Unread 10-18-2007, 12:43 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Fleet Phospoh-Soda, I drank one straight. like drinking a bunch of sea water or worse. Mix it into some gatorade, cranberry juice or something bearable and drink it as fast as you can. it is much more bearable if mixed into something cold. I wouldn't choose your favorite flavor if you are sensitive to flavors.

My daughter made it so she couldn't drink any strawberry drinks for about three years after she had a nasty medicinal strawberry drink, even though it used to be a favorite.
Unread 10-18-2007, 02:12 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyF
Fleet Phospoh-Soda, I drank one straight. like drinking a bunch of sea water or worse. Mix it into some gatorade, cranberry juice or something bearable and drink it as fast as you can. it is much more bearable if mixed into something cold. I wouldn't choose your favorite flavor if you are sensitive to flavors.

My daughter made it so she couldn't drink any strawberry drinks for about three years after she had a nasty medicinal strawberry drink, even though it used to be a favorite.

That Fleet stuff is the nastiest stuff I have ever tasted. I thought I was going to throw up when I drank it, and I tried to hide it in everything I could that wasn't red or purple
I hope in the future they come up with something better
Unread 10-26-2007, 03:12 PM
I had colonoscopy after TAH

I had a colonscopy after my TAH and it was pretty much the same as the one before the surgery. The prep was the hardest part. The stuff I drank was not really bad, it is just that I got hungry. You can drink broth and clear liquids but no purple or red drinks. Chicken broth saved me from being too hungry.

AFter the colonoscopy you wake up and when you can pass gas you can leave. Don't feel at all embarassed about passing gas, every one is doing it there! and it's a requirement!

Good luck with your procedure, it is nothing to be scared about, you are asleep during it and I could never tell anything had been done, no soreness or anything.

I believe everyone should have one, considering how simple it really is and how horrible colon cancer can be, it is a no brainer.
Unread 10-26-2007, 05:12 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by january29
I had a colonscopy after my TAH and it was pretty much the same as the one before the surgery. The prep was the hardest part. The stuff I drank was not really bad, it is just that I got hungry. You can drink broth and clear liquids but no purple or red drinks. Chicken broth saved me from being too hungry.

AFter the colonoscopy you wake up and when you can pass gas you can leave. Don't feel at all embarassed about passing gas, every one is doing it there! and it's a requirement!

Good luck with your procedure, it is nothing to be scared about, you are asleep during it and I could never tell anything had been done, no soreness or anything.

I believe everyone should have one, considering how simple it really is and how horrible colon cancer can be, it is a no brainer.

I was awake when I had my colonoscopy. Well, they gave me something to calm my nerves, which didn't work that great, but the procedure itself was nothing. I was watching everything that was happening on the computer moniter. The prep was the worst. I just brought my aunt home from having both a colonoscopy and an endoscopy. They took one polyp out and she has another large one, along with a very large ulcer. The dr. also told us that she probably has stomach cancer as well. She is 84, and very active. But would never ever have any tests done, no matter how much I nagged her. Colon cancer is 100 percent curable if found early. Everyone should have the test. I know people make excuses, but this is life and death we are talking about. Why people like my 43 year old brother in law refuse to have one is beyond me. Dying from colon cancer is not fun.
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:31 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

well I survived the EDG last week and colonoscopy this thursday, the worst part was having to drink the Nulitley
it wasnt so much bad tasting but kinds thick and after a few glasses it got gaggie..And had to do an enima at bed time and the next morning..thought my back side was gonna fall off, from being sore...( from the wiping and bile)TMI!
they put in a Iv and your off to dream land and it only take a few minutes, the tests arent bad at all its just the prep!! I think nexttime Im gonna ask for pills! Maybe the Dr. will go for that! They found IBS, ( which we were not suprised about) and a small hiatal hernia.Dont have to go for my follow up till Dec 14th so thats good news!Next I have to go have my boobs smashed at my next mamagram Good luck ladies and take care of yourselves!!
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:15 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Thanks to all who've talked about their colonoscopies. I've picked up my OSMO prep tablets and will be doing the bowel prep for the colonoscopy on Sun and having the procedure on Sunday. I've also got to be sure to have plenty of gatorade and ginger ale and all the other non-red, non purple liquids in the house.

I'm just back from my first post-TAH vacation so going a day without eating solid food won't hurt me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register