colonoscopy after TAH - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

colonoscopy after TAH colonoscopy after TAH

Unread 10-30-2007, 08:26 AM
colonoscopy after TAH

Hello Ladies...

Well, I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy last Friday (I was 2 weeks and 2 days post LSH).

WORDS OF ADVISE: Do NOT have these procedures so soon after abdominal surgry. This was my 3rd colonscopy and it was AWFUL. First, they couldn't get me sedated (does your body build immunity to sedation?). Then I finally feel asleep and they did the EGD. Don't remember any of that. Then they turned to the colonscopy. As soon as they started, I woke up and had horrible pain thru the procedure. Maybe my abdomen was still swollen inside or something. All I know is that it hurt like hell and they had to hold me down. I hadn't experienced that with my prior ones.

So, lesson learned......I will NEVER schedule two things so close together if they involve the same region of my body!! Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 10:15 AM
colonoscopy after TAH

Oh, how awful, I had no idea it would hurt so much, I have always been completely sedated, but never have I had one so soon after abdominal surgery.

They actually held you down???? I think that would cause me to be very fearful about future colonoscopys.

So sorry that happend to you.
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:30 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Just my

I had a colonoscopy in August of 2006. I had a very bad reaction to an antibioctic that I was on and I had to take another antibiotic intravenously.

While I was in the hospital my primary doctor ordered a colonoscopy and D&C. I had the colonoscopy while I was in the hospital and I had the D&C in November.

My gyn found the very "beginning" of cancer cells in the walls of my uterus. He told me because of my age, etc it was in my best interest to have a TAH. I had a TAH on January 15th of this year.

Glad I did! I didn't have colon cancer but I had the start of uterine cancer. My post-op visits for uterine cancer have been fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

I had my hyster on Sept 13. Will be having a colonoscopy on Nov 5. I have to do a 2 day prep...yes, 2 day prep. I have "sluggish" bowels. I'm not looking forward to it. But I really feel I need it.

My gastro doctor will not perform a colonoscopy on a patient that's had a TAH until they are at least 6 wks out....I'll be about 7 1/2 wks out.
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:34 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Hey Girls, Don't want to alarm anyone, but had rectal bleeding after my lavh in June. Couldn't get anyone to listen to me doctor wise. Kept saying it was hemorrhoids, anal fissure, etc. Finally had a CAT scan, found soft tissue mass. Two days later had first colonoscopy and found cancer above my cecum. Five days later on oct 25 had 15 inches of bowel removed. At this time, everything looks good. Lymph nodes 18 of them were okay. PLEASE have a colonoscopy if you need one. I didn't want too either and had been putting it off. I am 49 years old. I was kicking them during the procedure as I recall. I am very optimistic, but if I would have listened to my md a couple of years ago I might not have been in this shape. I have not felt good all summer. When everyone says listen to your body, do so. If I can save one person from what has happened to me, I will be happy. tobasco39
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

One more tidbit of advice. Buy creamy baby Desitin and slather your butt with it before drinking your prep. It works wonders. Also use baby wipes that are mild with no alcohol. Otherwise you will be burning there.
Unread 10-30-2007, 04:40 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

I had my colonoscopy yesterday (10-29) and it could not have gone smoother. Despite the fears of a possible "related cancer," I had no colon polyps. Nothing. (Even my appendix looked good!!)

It's been almost 3 months since my TAH hyst and this presented no problems whatsoever. It was not nearly as bad as I expected, though it's a weird sensation being awake but not being aware. I didn't remember anything til I heard someone call my name and say "you don't have any polyps." I was vaguely aware of talking and movement but just not paying attention.

If you have a choice, choose the OSMO prep tablets instead of the liquid. Those worked great and no bad taste.

No more colonoscopies now for 5 years (due to uterine cancer problems). Woo-hoo!!!
Unread 10-30-2007, 05:15 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy46360
Hello Ladies...

Well, I had my endoscopy and colonoscopy last Friday (I was 2 weeks and 2 days post LSH).

WORDS OF ADVISE: Do NOT have these procedures so soon after abdominal surgry. This was my 3rd colonscopy and it was AWFUL. First, they couldn't get me sedated (does your body build immunity to sedation?). Then I finally feel asleep and they did the EGD. Don't remember any of that. Then they turned to the colonscopy. As soon as they started, I woke up and had horrible pain thru the procedure. Maybe my abdomen was still swollen inside or something. All I know is that it hurt like hell and they had to hold me down. I hadn't experienced that with my prior ones.

So, lesson learned......I will NEVER schedule two things so close together if they involve the same region of my body!! Have a great day!

My first colonoscopy was 3 years ago. The prep, as we all know, was awful. Felt like I was drinking sea salt. That Fleet Phospho Soda is awful. I managed to get through that, but the day of the procedure, whatever they gave me for the pain and to make me relaxe didn't agree with me. It made me so dizzy. Scared the heck out of me. It felt like the room was spinning. The procedure itself was okay, it was that medication they gave me. Thank God my results came back clean, but you can bet that next time I have one I'm going to make sure they give me some other medication. My body is the same way. I think I've developed an immunity to most medications that make you relaxe. I have panic attacks and have taken medication for them for years. But unfortunately when I find something that works, it will work good for a while and then I'll have to go on something else.
Unread 10-30-2007, 05:18 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Deadra,

Just my again! Inflation!

I have two friends who have had colonoscopies and we have all had it done differently. I guess it depends on the doctor, the hospital, your age, etc. Good luck to you!
Unread 10-30-2007, 05:24 PM
colonoscopy after TAH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobasco39
Hey Girls, Don't want to alarm anyone, but had rectal bleeding after my lavh in June. Couldn't get anyone to listen to me doctor wise. Kept saying it was hemorrhoids, anal fissure, etc. Finally had a CAT scan, found soft tissue mass. Two days later had first colonoscopy and found cancer above my cecum. Five days later on oct 25 had 15 inches of bowel removed. At this time, everything looks good. Lymph nodes 18 of them were okay. PLEASE have a colonoscopy if you need one. I didn't want too either and had been putting it off. I am 49 years old. I was kicking them during the procedure as I recall. I am very optimistic, but if I would have listened to my md a couple of years ago I might not have been in this shape. I have not felt good all summer. When everyone says listen to your body, do so. If I can save one person from what has happened to me, I will be happy. tobasco39

I had bleeding like that twice after I had my hysterectomy. The first time I saw blood, I just chalked it up to stitches that had been pulled. Well, about a month later it happened again. So I went to my dr. He did a rectal exam to see if there was any blood where it shouldn't be. The test came back negative. The day that I saw the blood I was having a hard time going to the bathroom, and my dr. said I most likely had a fissure. He checked for one but couldn't find one. He said it must have healed. I did feel something tear that day when I was in the bathroom. Even now I have a difficult time with BMs. Sometimes I wonder if I should have had another colonoscopy, but my dr. assured me everything was fine. But if it happens again, I'll ask. Guess I'm going to have to go on those stool softeners again. It hurts so bad to go to the bathroom. And it's been 6 months. I'm so glad you finally got a dr. to listen to you. Cancer can hide in so many places in our bodies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register