Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007 - Page 16 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007

Unread 11-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Total Hysterectomy October 15th

Hi everyone. I had mine done on the 15th. I have a big smiley wound which had 14 staples in it - it looked fearsome! I had the pressure dressing off the day after and then the catheter came out and I was home on the evening of the 16th. I got an infection from the canulas they put in my arm and had antibiotics for the first five days at home. My bowels rebelled and it is quite terrifying trying to move them - afraid to help out with pushing in case everything falls out! I am in my third post op week now and feel great. However, if i do too much, i suffer with exhaustion and reading the information on this site - i guess i have to take things very easy still because of the internal stitching. I have my darling sisters taking turns to care for me and my daughter so I am very lucky. They wont let me do things and make me lay on the sofa!
I guess all I am trying to say to people is that it isnt as horrifying as I thought it would be. Major surgery but not much pain. I am very impressed and very grateful to have had all the bits out that were causing me such grief beforehand. hats off to Gyaenie (sp?) surgeons!
Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 07:32 AM
Bowel Issues

Ok, I'm taking a day for me today. This is difficult for me. I guess this is day 10 post op. I spent two nights in the castle. I've done work from home here on my laptop since the first day home. I overdid things over the first weekend cooking, cleaning, walking and working so my doctor ordered me two days off my feet - this past Monday and Tuesday. Tuesday afternoon, it started to hurt and burn urinating, so I called doctor again. Went in Wednesday. Bladder Infection. Great!

I asked doctor about the painful BM's. I've been having trouble getting regular. Stool softeners are too harsh and I end up with diarhea. Without them, I'm constipated. Neither option is pleasant. They recommended Milk of Magnesia. So I've been taking that. Still the horrible gas pains, pain during BM's. Doctor said they did so much work in that area in the hysterectomy (plus I had lots of endo removed from my bladder and rectum) that the pain isn't surprising, its to be expected and it may last for awhile during the healing process.

As I said in a previous post, between the UTI and bowel issues, I'm starting to become afraid of going to the bathroom!

Anywho, as I started saying, I'm taking a day for myself. I've been stressing about work, doing as much as I can. I'm exhausted. Broke down and cried last night.
Just feeling a bit sorry for myself, and the pressure of trying to keep it all together, under these circumstances just got to me.

DH told me I deserved the time to heal. To forget about work, and everything else and spend the day in bed watching TV, reading, etc. Got my laptop here too. Just wish I didn't feel so darn guilty about work.

Besides the bladder and bowel issues, overall, I'm good. Not a lot of pain, unless I overdo it. A little pain at night, which is easily controlled by ibuprofen.

Anyway ~ that's how I'm doing. Hope you are all feeling well and having a great recovery. Thanks for letting me vent.

Christine
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007

Hi Liz,

Sounds much like my recovery. Worst thing now is the BM because of the Iron Supplements. I got tired from sitting for a two hour manicure yesterday (new wraps, my manicurist iinsisted to get the hospital germs out from under my nails so she gave me all new wraps... ) I did get tired after sitting for 2 plus hours but I guess it was partially the fact I had four hours sleep and wokr up at 3:30 am and my adreniline was flowing.

I live in NYC, so all I have to do it take an elevator downstairs and walk one block to the supermarket, salon, pharmacy. One big advantaqe to living in the city.

Oh BTW, how have sisters done in the pounds lost departments. I have lost 18 pounds since pre-op and expecting to lose another 5. I can't believe that I was carry around all the extra baggage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paininthe

I asked doctor about the painful BM's. I've been having trouble getting regular. Stool softeners are too harsh and I end up with diarhea. Without them, I'm constipated. Neither option is pleasant. They recommended Milk of Magnesia. So I've been taking that. Still the horrible gas pains, pain during BM's. Doctor said they did so much work in that area in the hysterectomy (plus I had lots of endo removed from my bladder and rectum) that the pain isn't surprising, its to be expected and it may last for awhile during the healing process.

As I said in a previous post, between the UTI and bowel issues, I'm starting to become afraid of going to the bathroom!

A

Christine

Christine,

I feel for you since I am suffering from the same. My issue is the prescription iron supplements. The box says expected side effects: constitipation, gas, vomiting, nausea, abdominal pain. Yes, I got them all. I am taking stool softeners, yes they hurt when the pass in your colon, yes your stool is water but it does give you some relief. I take Milk of Magnesia 1x a day and my DH just went to BJs to purchase Fiber One cereal, a friend of my swears it works better than any other med or laxative.
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:23 AM

I've also been taking Metamucil. DH takes it 2x a day for diverticulitis. I just feel like I can't win.

Are you taking the iron for anemia? Iron can be so harsh on your system............

I hope you're feeling like yourself very soon. We'll get through this!!!

Take care,
Christine
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:26 AM

Christine-

So sorry to hear it's your turn for the rough day! I think physical exhaustion was part of my problem Tuesday when I lost it, combined with the emotional wear and tear of trying to keep everything going for the family. Take your wonderful hubbys advice and take a day off. Your work can wait, it will be there tomorrow, and if you take the time to rest it won't seem so overwhelming.
As far as the bathroom thing goes, I hear ya. Nothing worse than not feeling too great and have that to worry about on top of it.
Take care, rest up, cry if you need to (I did, it really did help!) and know your sisters are here to listen...
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paininthe
Are you taking the iron for anemia? Iron can be so harsh on your system............

I had a blood transfusion, two days post op. My levels were very low. Prior to surg I was NOT anemic. Just spoke to drs office. This is very normal for women taking iron. Need the iron have 10 more days before blood tests to see if I can stop.
Doc said if I am going at all I am not constipated. I said what it's all black water, she said at least its coming out
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:19 AM

Well ,everyone - i think the bowel stuff sorts itself out eventually. mine seem to be ok now - though they sent me home with some vile liquid laxative from the hospital (Like drinking liquid sugar - gross!). it gave me diorreah at first but now things are working again. I take vitamin supplements and also psyllium husk pills which are a natural fibre. they seem to keep me going with little required effort on my part!

i am horrified that some of you seem to be cooking and cleaning and shopping and working - my surgeon and all the nurses have instructed me to rest a LOT in the first few weeks and only have two ten minute walks a day. I live in england - do you think we are perhaps softer than you americans!

i hope you are all ok. I agree with the crying thing - i have had two days when i felt like nothing was worth living for and wept uncontrollably. The next day you feel fine again.

I wish you all the best recoveries possible

Best of British luck to you all!
Liz
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM

I am jealous that you have lost 18lbs! i dont know of i have lost anything though i had a whacking great fibroid and my uterus, cervix and ovaries and tubes are now gone - i would hope that would count for some weight loss!. I lost 14lbs before going into hospital but i fear its all going back on now cos i am eating junk and laying about! still, once recovered, i am sure it will come off - though it seems harder to shift the older you get (I am 51).
Liz
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM
weight

I had lost a few lbs before going in, when I got home I was up 6 ! It had to be from the IV's, as I wasn't eating and was throwing up. Now I'm back down to what it was before my visit (bye-bye 6lbs! ).
My question is when will I be able to wear my pants again?? I have 2 pairs of stretch jeans I can get on and be fairly comfortable in, but the rest I can't even zip! I don't think the swelly is that bad anymore, but sure is frustrating going into winter weather with only 2 pairs of wearable warm pants! I refuse to buy bigger pants right now... I won't I won't I won't!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register