Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007

Unread 10-18-2007, 11:14 PM
Im home!

Well, I had my hyst monday (15th) and got to come home today (18th). They took my colon, both ovaries and tubes, uterus, and gallbladder. My endometriosis was so bad, it had buried one of my ovaries so badly, it took the surgeon 45 minutes just to release it so he could remove it. My bladder was attached to my uterus, the other ovary was stuck to my abdominal wall. I had MULTIPLE cysts that had grown all the way down to my rectum and some had attached to my colon. All my organs were pushed out of location. The doctor couldnt believe I wasnt in more pain than I was before the surgery. Apparently none of my organs were where they were supposed to be. Before surgery, I cried of course. I was so scared. I decided at the last minute to keep my cervix. I was in recovery longer than expected because they couldnt get my pain under control. The next day the catheter just HAD to come out. It wasnt draining and I had to keep taking the tubing loose and drain the urine into a pan because my bladder felt like it was going to explode. Finally I told them they had to take it out. It wasnt in the right place. The balloon was inflated in my urethra, rather than in my bladder. So now Im having a HORRIBLE time with urinating. It will start, stop, then start then stop. It takes forever to empty my bladder now. Im still in alot of pain, but I feel better. I can tell that I will not regret doing this. They cut me from pubic hair up to about 4 inches below my breast line, then closed me with staples. I am tired alot, but that is improving. My nurses were wonderful. I had a Dilaudid PCA for pain, which didnt help much. My IV's kept infiltrating, and had to keep having new ones started. I have constant diarrhea from the colon removal, which I hope will improve. But I wanted to tell everyone how things went. Im very happy with my decision. I almost backed out of having it done while lying in the holding room waiting for my turn. My hot flashes began instantly after surgery. I thought I would have some time before having to start HRT, but I had to have a patch the very next day. I was sweating profusely and freezing everyone in the room with the air conditioning. So now I have to research to see which hormone I want to take. Thanks to everyone here for being such great support. I want to thank each and every one of the sisters on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007

Good Morning...lol not sure if I sent my message or not. I was saying that I had a great surgery experience after they calmed me down. I'm home and glad to be home but I was scared to actually come home. I'm a little OCD about stuff and I am learning to turn my head to things around the house. I have read all the post op stuff and they were great. I have sent my Super Mom cape to the cleaners and wish I had bought myself a crown before surgery. LOL. I am having some pain but managing it well. I am having some boredom but seem to be finding ways to manage that as well. I have a friend coming over with some funny movies and I watched a movie last night on my laptop. It works out pretty well. I don't like being shut up in my bedroom like a leper so I will be moving myself to the living room today. I can rule my thrown from there too...lol. My family is great and very aware that "mom" always overdoes stuff so I'm taking this time to listen to them and accept all the help that is offered, even if they did't really mean it I'm taking advantage of it. I want to heal well and fast so I can get on with life without the pain I had before. Good luck to any who shares the 17th as our freedom day.
Hugs
Unread 10-19-2007, 09:48 AM

addictwendy - you sound like me - but you know what - i've decided - health is worth more at this point -- it will all be there when its over.

I feel so much better than I have in such a long time - i cant believe that a fibroid was the cause of my whole discomfort - i cant imagine what all you other wonderful women have gone through that had so much more to deal with.

Im still full of gas and cant wait for that to pass - but otherwise no complaints --

Im actually going to write to the hospital - they were wonderful - no complaints whatsoever

Happy recovery to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 12:43 PM

I had a TAH/BSO on 10/15 and am in so darned much PAIN !!! Am I the only one like this? I had 3 c-sections, and never dreamed this could be nearly so bad.

My incision feels likes it's burning and stretching....but I am an antibiotics for 5 days, so don't think there is an infection. The GAS is a huge, horrible problem for me. Just now ate 1/2 plain turkey sandwich....my first food since LAST FRIDAY!

Am I the only miserable sister out there??! I can barely walk.

What are you taking for pain? Tylenol with codeine did nothing for me, so now I'm just taking plain old ibuprofen.
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I came home today Oct 19th. They spent almost 4 hours on me. I had a lot of adhesions and scarring from my c section years ago. I stayed sick alot with the medication they was giving me. So I guess that is why I stayed till today. I am glad to be home. Everyone in glad that I am home as well. I have a lot of gas as well. I hated the bowel prep! They tell me I cannot drive for 2 weeks. Well I have to play that one by ear. I am going good with the belly pain, feels like cramping a times. But everyone take care of yourselves I will do the same. My partner for life is bent on feeding me soup crakers and ginger ale. He is doing a wondeful job. I will eat my soup and smile. Have a wonderful day ladies.
Unread 10-19-2007, 03:19 PM

my dr said no driving for 4 weeks so your doing good at 2 weeks - im just gonna go with what they tell me

i still have alot of gas surgery was tues am- waiting for a bowel movement still - starting taking milk of mag yesterday - i feel like im having contractions all the time otherwise - everything is right on track and i still feel better than I have in a very long time
Unread 10-19-2007, 05:36 PM
post-op and first post

Hello all. I've been lurking since early spring, when I was initially facing the idea of surgery. I've decided that now that I've had the surgery, I could use a little support.

That said, I had a TVH this past Monday and recovery has been a bit bumpy. I was given a morphine PCA following surgery, and bottomed out and they coded me. It took five hours to stabilize me. Needless to say, I'm a bit overwhelmed. They also were hovering at that point to see if I was going to need a blood transfusion, which it turned out I haven't (yet), thankfully. I got home from the castle (otherwise a lovely place with each room private, and meals made to order at beck-and-call -- would that I had had an appetite) on Wednesday and slept until I could sleep no more. Yesterday, all was well and I walked the block a couple times, however had a severe migraine, which then lovingly turned into the sinus infection I was craving. I managed to get out for meds, only to come home to severe stomach flu....

So I guess I'm hardly picture-perfect post-op. I guess I will pose my questions outside the progress thread now...
Thanks for listening/reading.
d.
Unread 10-19-2007, 08:46 PM

For those who asked about pain medicine. I am taking Percocet. Nothing else helps me. Your doc should give you a a good pain medicine to take until the pain can be managed more with Tylenol or Motirn. My pain is burning at the incision and mild to moderate cramping. But STILL, I feel better than before the surgery! My doc sent me home with NO antibiotics. I begged him and he refused. Today I noticed my incision was red. Last year, when I had a previous surgery, this happened and my incision busted open and I ended up with an internal abscess. So I got some antibiotics from a different doctor today. I hadnt received any antibiotics while in the castle either so I definitely think I needed some.
Unread 10-20-2007, 07:51 AM
Home from Surgery

Hi Ladies,

Had TAHw/BSO on Monday the 15th, came home on the 18th. Everything went well and I feel pretty good and am not on any pain meds except for tylenol at bedtime. Worse for me was the nausea/vomitting in the hospital and couldn't keep anything down. Percocet set me off so that's when I refused further pain meds. Was up walking about 6 hrs. after surgery with the foley in me. That was a bit of some concern because I freaked when I saw some blood in the line but they assured me all was well. Was glad to get that out of me and pee on my own. Be sure to take LOTS of liquids so that you do start urinating. Gas was bad for about 24 hours but once I started passing that along with passing my bowels, all was well. Black and blue but incision is good and dry. Staples come out on Monday. Appetite has also returned but cannot look at anything sweet yet. Everything on that liquid diet for two days was of a sweet nature except the broth and it was the jello I ended bringing up. I don't think I will look at jello for a long time. Hope you all have a continued speedy recovery!
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm home but had problems

I finally made it back from the castle, but with catheter in tow. Uterus was so large that it took DR 2 1/2 hours to get it out. Punctured a hole in my bladder in the process and had to shoot dye in it and sew it back up. Must wear catheter for at least a week now. My only realy complaint with it is that I feel like I have to pee really bad and can't go. That is such a miserable feeling. My back pain is also unbearable at times. Uterus was adhered to some of the muscles in my back and the pain stems from DR having to cut it away and leaving raw nerve endings down there. Thank God for for pain meds, though they make me dizzy. I can see now that I am going to go absolutely nuts sitting at the house doing nothing all day. Can't wait to get rid of this catheter. It's going to be a LONG week. Just glad it's over. Gotta get off here and go lie down. Still is very uncomfortable to sit up. More later. Good luck everyone. Just glad I'm through with having periods! That's what's keeping me going. Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register