Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007 - Page 55 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007

Unread 11-26-2007, 05:44 PM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 15-Oct 22,2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves
Hi all.
So glad to hear from those of you who have been off for awhile.
Glover07: was your DR ok on extending your STD? I have been considering taking more than 6 weeks.....due to swelling and continued pain (not horrible but much worse with the swelling). I work on my feet all day and right now I can't even go to the grocery store and back home without consequences. I wonder how I'm going to do back at work.
This has been a very humbling experience. Just when I think I'm doing great, ouch, I'm down again.
Took 3 days off and rested, rested, rested. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. And then, one day back on my feet and swelly belly and pain returns. I wonder, what is it going to take?
Sorry to vent......gotta get it off my chest.
I see my DR on Thurs. Hoping for more recovery time.
Take care all.
Love,
C
Hello Leaves,
My doctor was really understanding on extending my STD; however, the office had to submit more paperwork to my STD provider, wish me luck on getting it approved. I'm right there with you; still have severe pain when on my feet for 1 or more hours. I too am on my feet sometimes all day and others part of the day. I'm really nervous about going back even after the additional 2 week extension. I have come to understand that 6 weeks is not enough time to recovery from this kind of surgery. My advise is to tell your doctor how you feel and what your job duties are; if you don't he/she may think your ready to return to work. Hang in there and no need to apologize, we all know where you are coming from!!!

Oh, have a question; anyone know what BSO stands for? I keep seeing it and just wondered!

Love ya and God Bless,
glover07
(ABD HYST/removed uterus, fibroids and cervix/kept ovaries - 10/16/07)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 05:50 PM

BSO - Bilateral Salpingo Oopherectomy (sp??) Removal of both ovaries and fallopian tubes.
Unread 11-26-2007, 05:58 PM

Hi Glover, I'm sure you'll be glad your dr. gave you the extra time. I'm off till the end of dec. I'm feeling more tired the last couple of days, maybe my hormones are flucuating. From what I here, this can happen for several weeks even on hrt. BSO is taking of both ovaries, bilateral salinpingo ohperecotmy (? I'm sure I didn't spell that right!). I've had a headache the last 2 days too, & one minute I'm freezing & the next I'm ripping my clothes off. today when I got hot I even got nauses. What's up with that! I've gained a couple of pounds too! I was doing so good, wounder what happened!?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-26-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paininthe
Supposed to return to work next week. Think I'm going to go part-time a day or two.....I'm freaking out. I AM SO TIRED. What is with this? I can't understand why I'm this tired 5 weeks post op! Anyone else? I don't know what I'm going to do.
Most definitely am I tired. My original return to work day is two days from now (6 weeks post op) and if I hadn't gotten an extention for another two weeks, I don't now if I would have made it. My hormones are doing o.k., my pain is gone. Every now and again, I get "soreness" and back pain, but I stay TIRED!! I haven't had a bout of insomnia in a while so I'm getting enough sleep.

Many have mentioned to me that it will be a while before the tiredness goes away. There is no time limit. Each person is different. Don't rebuke yourself for being tired. It's better to be tired than in pain.

I may try iron supplements to give me some energy. I used to take Floridix with Iron and Calcium before my hyst because of the anemia. I may start that again to see if that makes a difference.

Anyone on iron supplements and feeling better???

Toni
Unread 11-26-2007, 07:05 PM

Terry,
Thanks for the encouragement and I'm right there with you. The hot/cold spells have gotten better but still have some minor PMS symptons. I just wish the pain and swelly belly would go away. The dr. says it's normal and that every person is different. I hope tomorrow is a better day!!!

Take care and God Bless!!!
glover07
Unread 11-26-2007, 08:31 PM

I am 5 1/2 weeks post op, tired with an infection that came on last week. I am on such strong antibiotics that my stomach is so sick, I had to quit taking the iron. I think I was feeling much better last week. My hemoblobin as of last Friday is in the low end of the normal now. If any of you take iron, there are two kinds that we found. One is ferrous gluconate (easier on the stomach, but doesn't go into the blood as well. The other is ferrous sulfate (this one is harder on the stomach but better for going into the blood stream). My doc had me taking iron 3 times a day along with a chewable Vitamin C. I was told the Vitamin C helps the iron go into the blood system faster. I had several blood tests along the weeks and my hemoglobin steadily climbed back into the normal. My doc said I should probably continue to take iron for 3-6 months post op and after it gets more in the normal range, then I could take it just once a day. So we will see what he says this Friday at the 6 week check up.
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:20 AM
recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin13
You all seem to be ahead of me in the recovery. I had my surgery on the 15th of November. Am I in the wrong place??? I am new to this message board stuff so if someone could let me I would appreciate it. I am finding some of the things you are all talking about will come in handy as I follow you through recooperation. This really is a great site!
----------------
J
Hi Franklin

Yes, you are a bit ahead of yourself! On the home page of the site, you can find recovery posts from all surgery dates. You probably need to look for one that says surgery in November - they will list the dates. Still, its probably good to look on here too cos you will see what everyone is experiencing ahead of you so you will know what you could possibly expect to happen.

Best of luck with recovery
Liz x
Unread 11-27-2007, 04:30 AM

Hello everyone. I had my 6 week post op check today and they seem to think I am doing well and can resume most normal things apart from lifting too much and strenuous vacuuming - what a big shame! Anyway, its just as well, cos i lost control yesterday and indulged in a bit of sex - it had been so long because i certainly didnt feel like it for ages before the operation. It was fine so if anyone else is worried about it, dont be - it didnt hurt.

Referring to some of your earlier comments, I took multi vitamins before the op and am still taking them as well as calcium supplements, cod liver oil pills and aloe vera pills which are meant to promote healing and benefit loads of other things. And Tonikat - yes, I am so tired all the time too. I spoke to the doctor about it today and he said i should not go back to work yet (am due back on the 6th). I have a 45 minute drive each way to work and just the thought of that in rush hour and then a day at work, makes me want to crawl into bed and weep. I get back pain and twinges too - especially if i have been doing things like food shopping or a bit of house work and i just HAVE to lay down. I dont see them taking kindly to me doing that in the office!

Oh yeah - and the hot flashes - oh my god! I dont get the cold ones but the hot ones are quite enough! Mine only started in the last week - and the headaches. God, why do we women have to go through so much!

Anyway, I asked the doctor what the healing would be like inside at this stage and told him I had heard that it took 6-12 months for it to be complete. He said it was 90% there at this stage and the rest just happened gradually. He said the internal stitches would be gone by now and that things would be knitted together by themselves and so it was important not to over do it.

Sorry - this turned into a bit of an essay! Hope everyone is feeling ok and not doing too much
Liz xx
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaves
Hi all.
So glad to hear from those of you who have been off for awhile.
Glover07: was your DR ok on extending your STD? I have been considering taking more than 6 weeks.....due to swelling and continued pain (not horrible but much worse with the swelling). I work on my feet all day and right now I can't even go to the grocery store and back home without consequences. I wonder how I'm going to do back at work.
This has been a very humbling experience. Just when I think I'm doing great, ouch, I'm down again.
Took 3 days off and rested, rested, rested. I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. And then, one day back on my feet and swelly belly and pain returns. I wonder, what is it going to take?
Sorry to vent......gotta get it off my chest.
I see my DR on Thurs. Hoping for more recovery time.
Take care all.
Love,
C
Hello Leaves,
When you go to the doctors on Thursday and ask for a STD extension, make sure you ask the doctor to send additional paperwork (office visit notes, etc..) to your STD provider. They won't accept a note of extension from the patient (I tried to send them a note from my doctor and they wanted something directly from the office). I did not find this out until I returned home; then I had to call the doctor's office back and request it. It will save you time if you take care of that before leaving the office. So make sure you take the STD providers Fax number, etc... with you.

Hang in there and Keep the Faith!!!

Take care and God Bless!
glover07
Unread 11-27-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkum
Hi Lizzie...

Yes, I had a few terrible days- so I called dr's office. He had me pick up some samples of Premarin .45 to start on. We haven't talked about HRT yet.... will cover it at my 6 week appointment Wednesday (11/28) afternoon.

I think the Premarin is helping some, but the hot flashes and mood swing stuff is still VERY disturbing. (Some hot flashes bring about heart palpitations and dizziness... so I'm a little concerned.)

Will post again after my dr appointment.... Am anxious to hear where other TAH/BSO ladies stand.

Take care all....

Dinkum
Hi Dinkum

Ok - the palpitations and dizziness must be scary but a friend of mine (my ex husband's girlfriend, actually!) is having palpitations (perhaps cos she is living with him!) and it is terrifying her. She has been checked out endlessly and had ecg's etc and her doctor says its a normal sympton of menopause - like everything else, not everyone gets it but it is definitley connected. Perhaps HRT will help this?? I will think of you tomorrow at your 6 week check. Arent the hot flashes a pain! I seem to be constantly tearing my clothes off!

Take care xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register