Another hormone question- sorry | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another hormone question- sorry Another hormone question- sorry

Unread 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM
Another hormone question- sorry

I asked in another thread but I'm not sure how many will see it. My dr seems to think I don't just have dysmenorrhea (however that is spelled) she thinks it's adeno as well/or instead of. Now I have other health problems that flare up around ovulation and my period. So she put me on Lybrel to see if the other problems go away. (Lybrel is the BCP where you don't have the sugar pills and never get your period) Well so far I hate it and love it! I've spotted a tiny little bit once for two days. No period! No pain! But man oh man it's like constant PMS!! Weepy, sad, migraines, bloated, nervousness and dizziness. But the great news is my other health problems are doing OK. Not 100% of course, but doing OK.

Now my questions. She recommended a hysterectomy (100% my choice) for the pain if the pill didn't work enough for me. She said there is nothing else to be done. We tried everything. But if the pill is keeping my hormones "calmer" but I can't stand being on it, how will the hysterectomy help that part of it? Would she just take the ovaries and not the uterus? Can they do that? I don't really want to go into menopause just yet (I worry about side effects from it) but if that would help my health problems more then just the uterus, I'd think about it seriously. I think that these problems are aggrivated by my cycle. But my body cannot handle the pill. This is the last one she wants to try. She said I can try Lupron too, but my GP doesn't want me on it. And I doubt my other dr would either. Plus if the lupron somewhat helps then what? Does that mean she'll want my ovaries too? Does that mean she'll just pump me full of a cocktail of drugs?

I have appts with two of my other drs this week to talk to them about it as well. But I was just wondering what you guys think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM

Well if its adeno then they will most likely take the uterus and leave the ovaries which would mean no hormones. do talk to your other drs and see what they sugest for you. yea lupron is a hard drug on the body so befor you take that read up on it !!!!!!! make a list of pros and cons of a hyst that might help you out. a hyst might not fix it all but will take care of the pain and bleeding from the uterus and ease some of the others. i would talk to your other drs and get soem test done to find out what might be the cause.. there are things that might sugest adeno like mushy uterus , enlarged things liek that.. good luck and big hugs
lisa

here is a link to help with the adeno adeno
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:38 PM

Just to clarify a few things...

Dysmenorrhea is not a diagnosis, it's a symptom - it just means painful periods. Your doc is saying the the cause of your dysmenorrhea is adenomyosis.

Adenomyosis affect the uterus, so to "cure" it, they would remove the uterus. The hormones are taken in an attempt to slow or reverse the growth of the disease and/or to control the symptoms (pain) by stopping your period. Lupron is the same thing, but for some women, the effects last after the medication wears off - the growth is slowed or reversed enough to control the symptoms for a while. However, if you have other symptoms related to hormonal imbalances, you will still have them if the ovaries are not removed.

You have a hard decision to make - you are taking a med that helps your pain, but affects your life negatively in other ways. In an odd way, I was lucky... none of the meds worked for me, so I really didn't have much of a choice to make - be in pain on meds that made me sick, or not be in pain and not be on the meds. I figured the worst that could happen could not be worse than the med side effects, and I wouldn't have the menstrual pain, but it has been much better than that for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM

I have many similar questions. I have had heavy painful periods with clotting for many years, and added 5 days of nausea last month. Two years ago I tried a series of BCP of various strengths and formulas to control my periods. Not only did the BCP not relieve my symptoms, I was WACKO! Rage, depression, uncontrolled weeping. I almost quit my job when a co-worker hurt my feelings! Anyway, my doctor thinks that hysterectomy is a reasonable option. I am concerned about HRT especially after my experience with BCP. Any thoughts? I have surgical consult in two weeks.
Unread 10-17-2007, 02:32 PM

I can tell you I found estrogen replacement fairly easy, even though I had a lot of problems with BCP before my hyst.

The endo made my periods extremely painful - required narcotics, and even that didn't completely kill the pain. Doc tried me on several hormonal treatments, some of them birth control pills taken without stopping. None of them worked to stop my menstrual pain, or even to stop my menstruation, and the estrogen-containing ones messed with my digestive system so much I now have ulcerative colitis. The only thing that ever stopped my period was a very high dose of progestin, a pill used mostly for cancer treatment, and can only be used 6 months at a time. Doc hoped it would have lasting effects following the 6 month treatment, but my pain came back with my first period. So the hyst was the next step.

But estrogen replacement following the hyst was a breeze compared to that. Because I knew how my stomach and guts reacted to estrogen, I started my ERT with Estrogel. After a couple years of using that with good success, I decided to try the Estradot patch, just for convenience (I think this is called Vivelle in the states). With some changes in diet, I have been able to lower, and I feel optimize, my estrogen replacement dosage to a low and safe level. Enough to stop my minor menopause symptoms and keep my docs happy about heart disease and osteoporosis risks, but not any more than necessary.

In summary, I'm saying that just because you reacted badly to BCP pre-hyst doesn't automatically mean you'll have the same reaction to ERT post-hyst.
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:47 AM

Interesting! Thanks!

Julie the pill isn't helping in anyway but the no flow (and in turn no real bad pains- yet) but I'm still getting that heavy crampy feeling every day. It's helping the other problems to a degree. But like cwolf the pill is making me crazy! I really hate to say it but I got so mad the other night I felt like punching something real hard! My anger is just nuts! I wake up with horrible headaches and just can't keep this up.

My one dr appt is today the other is tomorrow. My GP is conservative, but doesn't like to "go against" other drs who he thinks know more about their specialties then he does. Part of me wants him to say he feels I should do it, part of me is scared he'll say that! I plan on talking to him about the ovary/hormone thing too for his opinion on that.

I hope if they (and I) want the ovaries as well that I am OK with the ERT. You give me hope!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register