Any post op TAH nurses out there? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any post op TAH nurses out there? Any post op TAH nurses out there?

Unread 10-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Any post op TAH nurses out there?

I am almost 5 weeks post op TAH with bikini incision, also removal of 1 tube. I see my GYN next week.
I was wondering if there are any post opTAH ladies out there who are nurses who are required to stand 8-10 hours a day and lift people ect. I'm wondering how much I will be able to do when I go back after 6 weeks. I still have abdominal soreness most every evening and some ovary pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM

Hi, I'm a nurse also in a subacute ortho/rehabilitation facility. We do a lot of standing, pushing, pulling, lifting etc. I'm only 10 days post-op and have a ways to go, but I too am concerned about returning to work. I feel pretty good already, but I also had a bladder suspension as well as anterior and posterior repairs. I've heard different stories from different people. Originally my MD said 6 weeks, but then I had my HR dept fax her a copy of my job duties and requirements. I know I was told no lifting over 8 lbs for the first 6 weeks then nothing over 15 for another 6 weeks. I see my Dr. for a 4 week post op check so we'll have to discuss it then I guess. I feel good and I just don't want to cause any complications when things so far are going well. Let us know what happens with you. I don't want to go back to working a floor with any restrictions because it would be really hard to stick too. Sometimes instinct just takes over and you really don't have time to think, "is this too heavy for me".
wilpn
s/p TVH with partial abdominal d/t large fibroids, bladder suspension (Burch procedure),anterior/posterior repairs
Unread 10-19-2007, 06:40 PM

Hi,
I had a TAH/BSO and large fibroid removal on 9/17. Was anemic prior (HGB of 10) and went down to a HGB of 7.4 after surgery. My recovery has actually gone pretty well, other than the overwhelming fatigue. I was told no lifting greater than 10lbs at my 2 week check. I go in 2 week for my 6 week check and am also apprehensive about what he will say with regards to work. I work 12 hour night shifts in an intensive care unit. I am very worried about the lifting....one of my last patients before I went in for surgery, weighed 545 lbs!!! I am also worried about pushing beds, lifting iv pumps, dealing with combative patients and just being able to stay in an upright position for 12 hours while trying to concentrate and be able to make life and death decisions for my patients. I have always been a "sick leave saver", so I have more time that I can take, but it worries me as I see it dwindling down and yet I am overwhelmed just thinking about going back. Would love to hear other nurses replies and see how long they were off and their lifting restrictions. I agree with "Wilpn."..I don't want to screw this up since it has gone well so far and I sure as heck don't ever want to have surgery to fix anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 07:03 PM

wilpn... " I know I was told no lifting over 8 lbs for the first 6 weeks then nothing over 15 for another 6 weeks. ..."

I thought after 6 weeks we are allowed to lift any weight we want. I dont want to screw anything up, what did I miss?
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liatrus
I amnd almost 5 weeks post op TAH with bikini incision, also removal of 1 tube. I see my GYN next week.
I was wondering if there are any post opTAH ladies out there who are nurses who are required to stand 8-10 hours a day and lift people ect. I'm wondering how much I will be able to do when I go back after 6 weeks. I still have abdominal soreness most every evening and some ovary pain.
Hey liatrus, we are twin hystersisters because we had our surgery on the same day! I float throughout the hospital and do nursing supervisor on my weekends. I am trying not to ever return to floor nursing and do "shift director" FT. I am in the process of seeing if that will materialize before 10/30-my return to work day! However, due to the bladder suspension portion of my surgery-I can not do any heavy lifting for about 3 months. MD said because the stitches may tear and my bladder is posted way high on some ligaments and I can feel like something inside is attached tightly and it pulls right in groin area. Ladies, we know that our job is incredibly challenging both mentally and physically so don't do something that will cause permanent damage! I so want to vacuum and I tried and felt a pull and I said "Oh, no" and I stopped. So it can be something as minor as turning the wrong way, wrong positioning, or lifting something. Sometimes when I carry my laptop upstairs to my room I feel a pull-guess walking and carrying things are a no-no. But we learn this by trial and error, I rather take everything that I need to BR then to keep going up and down the stairs So my manager will have me in the staffing office working on staffing for eves. We do have FT nursing supervisors for eves/nocs and there was talk of having one for days as well and I put my dibs on that before anyone else before I left for surgery. I can not work eves because my DH works 6p-2a and although my 17, 14, 13, 10 would luv that sometimes-----> it will never work!
Unread 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAWNDENISE
Hey liatrus, we are twin hystersisters because we had our surgery on the same day! I float throughout the hospital and do nursing supervisor on my weekends. I am trying not to ever return to floor nursing and do "shift director" FT. I am in the process of seeing if that will materialize before 10/30-my return to work day! However, due to the bladder suspension portion of my surgery-I can not do any heavy lifting for about 3 months. MD said because the stitches may tear and my bladder is posted way high on some ligaments and I can feel like something inside is attached tightly and it pulls right in groin area. Ladies, we know that our job is incredibly challenging both mentally and physically so don't do something that will cause permanent damage! I so want to vacuum and I tried and felt a pull and I said "Oh, no" and I stopped. So it can be something as minor as turning the wrong way, wrong positioning, or lifting something. Sometimes when I carry my laptop upstairs to my room I feel a pull-guess walking and carrying things are a no-no. But we learn this by trial and error, I rather take everything that I need to BR then to keep going up and down the stairs So my manager will have me in the staffing office working on staffing for eves. We do have FT nursing supervisors for eves/nocs and there was talk of having one for days as well and I put my dibs on that before anyone else before I left for surgery. I can not work eves because my DH works 6p-2a and although my 17, 14, 13, 10 would luv that sometimes-----> it will never work!
Also can you start by returning for 4 hour shifts then working your strength back up to 8 hours? Your MD can write that as a contigency for returning to work!
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:34 AM

THANKS all you nurses: wilpn, SEASONEDONE, not old yet, SHAWNDENISE

I spoke with my boss yesterday about coming back part time 3 3-11 evening supervisor. I told her that I didnt think I would be able to lift as usual as soon as I get back (I help the girls get people in bed at night, and help lift and adls - a working supervisor). She told me in a nice way, that we will work around it, don't lift and dont give her any written restrictions on lifting. She knows they cant take me back if I cant lift as usual, so she doesnt want to know the restrictions so that I get back sooner. That's healthcare for you - "WE NEED YOU EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT CAPABLE OF DOING 100% OF YOUR JOB - JUST BE CAREFUL"

Thanks for listening
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:03 AM

You be careful too! I would hate for something to accidently happen and you are not covered by that activity restriction written by your doctor! Then if something happens and you are trying to get some workman's comp-will they cover you? They will investigate and find out that you had activity restrictions but you never gave it to the manager and now you look BAD. Wouldn't want it to come down to your word vs your managers. There are managers that are great and those that are very sneaky. I am only telling you this because I am on the management side and have seen some downright, lowdown managers. Please check with human resources on this issue and see where they stand. At my hospital light/moderate duty does not exist for nurses but it is under the discretion of your manager to put you in a different position but you are not to do floor nursing. Please check this out! Since you do the supervisor portion,do you really have to do hands on help? Can you delegate for time being? My supervisor position consists of staffing, rounds of all units, placing transfers, admissions,scheduling emergent OR/CATH, pt complaints etc.-so most of my job is a whole lot of talking. I also have to respond to all codes but I don't usually do hands on because we have a great code team but if I had to after I return I would ask someone else to assist because I would be too afraid to injure something!
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:23 AM

Hi Shawndenise
Oh I know - she is trying to get me to work promising that I wont have to lift, but the first time a nurse calls out - guess what, I'm on the floor and then I will be lifting. I've decided to totally honest with this and have my restrictions written so that I am covered. I refuse to take chances with my health - certainly not for a job.
Unread 10-20-2007, 10:04 AM

Good for you! We must listen to our 1st instinct and do what is best for us! We nurses deserve quality of life too. As for your manager--->it is not personal but business! We had major surgery! Honestly yesterday was my 1st GOOD DAY! Not too much pain and I was able to LAUGH I haven't been able to do that in a month! I was getting pretty discouraged because alot of sisters wrote "I feel ((((great))))" and I was feeling like [email protected]#$%
but 4 weeks and 3 days later I can say that I feel pretty good! --->not this good but pretty close to it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register