Any post op TAH nurses out there? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any post op TAH nurses out there? Any post op TAH nurses out there?

Unread 10-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Any post op TAH nurses out there?

You need to stick to your guns on this! Don't go back unless your employer has any restrictions that you have in your file. I would give them directly to your HR department and keep a copy for yourself also. If you get injured as a direct result of working they won't cover you unless this is on file. If you have to perform your job duties and it isn't written anywhere that you have restrictions then basically they will view this as your fault. Just be careful!!! Your job will wait, you have at least 12 weeks of FMLA to cover you (or you should), you can't turn back time and repair damage that may be caused in a situation where you react without thinking. As nurses, I think we probably put our patients first and us second.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 01:49 PM

shawndenise
I'm glad to hear you are feeling pretty good. Today was actually the first day that I feel really good. I dont have pain, as much as soreness and bladder spasms and twinges of pressure in the ovary area. When is your next MD followup. Mine is in a few days, I am looking forward to it. I guess he will do an internal exam to see how the healing is going. I haven't driven or exercised in almost 5 weeks and it's starting to drive me crazy.
Unread 10-20-2007, 02:51 PM

I hope it's okay I jump in here as well. I work with special needs children and I am also on my feet 7-8 hours a day. I HAVE to be one step ahead of them and they move constantly throughout the day. I don't think I sit more than an hour each day - that's not all once - I am really having some reservations about being able to do my job like I did before. Occasionally I will have to transport an out of control child w/help. I guess I just need to be as honest as I can be about what I'm comfortable with.

I feel good, I have the swelly belly by the end of the day, some belly tenderness still, and I tire quickly. I am due go back on 10/31. I have my 5 week check w/Dr on Monday. After reading this I do feel better knowing I'm not totally alone in my apprehension.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 05:04 PM

Hi kellnette,
Glad that our fears of returning to work are voiced because it has alot to do with how we recover. We start to stress out and in return that doesn't help us mentally nor physically! All I can say is talk to your manager and voice these valid concerns. You should be safe in the workplace and hopefully you have compassionate co-workers who will help you out! My DH is a policeman and his female partner had a hysterectomy about 5 years ago (long before I ever known about having one myself) and when she returned to work, my DH did all the TOUGH STUFF
because he did not want her to get hurt! Now my DH didn't know all of what a hysterectomy included but he knew one thing that he didn't want his partner to get hurt so he covered for her! That is what true teamwork is all about! When I did floor nursing and had a pregnant CNA or RN, I refused to let them pull/push patients-I told them go sit down we have this and we do not want you to get hurt. This is what we all should have when we return to work-teamwork!!!! Another situation I had about 11 years ago-I started a new job as RN and suspected that I could possibly be pregnant but I wasn't to the point of being 2 weeks late w/period. I think that I was 3- 4 days late, had not even seen a doctor yet, and my periods were always on time back then! Well the charge RN wanted to give me a pt. w/tuberculosis and I told her that I should not take that pt because of the possibility of me being pregnant. She told me to put on a mask and I told her NO! She argued w/me and I did not back down because I knew that if I had contracted TB I could have loss my now 10 year old daughter! Being new, I did not report her but I should have. I have no respect for her even now and it is purely business when I come in contact w/her! She probably doesn't even remember that! So I say that to say this go with your gut instinct take care of yourself first. If you are no good to yourself, you are no good to anyone else
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:16 PM

liatrus!!!! I am glad that you are having a great day! Sorry to say but I have been driving for about 2 weeks now so I see why you are bored crazy! Why can you not drive short distances? I saw my gyne at 2nd and 4th week after surgery and do not have to see him unless there is a problem. Hysterectomy portion is OK from his point of view(even though I have brownish-old blood vaginal drainage for 2 weeks now) Gyne MD said bleeding r/t to vaginal cuff repair. I now need to be cleared from my urologist on 10/22-he will be the one to clear me to come back to work w/restrictions because the bladder suspension takes 3 months to fully heal. I have walked in the neighborhood(about 1/2 mile) almost daily, sometimes I may skip a day depending on how I feel
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:18 PM

I am a nurse and had my first surgery (TAH/BSO) in 6/06. I returned to work after 6 weeks, but I was definitely NOT ready for lifting at that time, so I had them rent me a hoyer lift, and had an aide assigned to use it under my supervision if needed for 6 additional weeks. I would say it took me a good three mos. before I felt comfortable to really lift, and to be honest it still pulls in a way it didn't before.

I had to have a rectocele repair last month, and am out again now, I am really thinking I need to look into a permanent position without lifting hereforth, I know this is hard, but better than another surgery!

It seems unfair that we in healthcare don't take care of ourselves the way we ask our patients to do for themself!

Good luck! And to a speedy and healthy recovery to all!

Sisters in many ways!
EJ in Boston
Unread 10-21-2007, 08:25 AM

I am not a nurse but an allied health professional & I only work part time but when i do it's a busy 8 hours. I am at 6 weeks after TAH, repairs & hernias & there is NO WAY I could go back to work to do my job at the moment. I am taking a full 8 weeks & possibly even 10 weeks. I do not want to undo any of this surgery. I was told 5 lbs first few weeks & 10 lbs first 6 weeks & no more than 20lb lift up to 10 weeks post op & I'm sticking to it.

Daisy
Unread 10-21-2007, 11:13 AM

I think that is great Daisy and you are giving me the courage to start thinking about the 8 or 10 week plan. Financially it would hurt me as I do have short term disability but at 50% of my salary and I do have health insurance, but I'm still going to owe close to $4000 for everything. I just dont know what to do. In nursing you never know if you are going to walk by a patient's room who is falling and your insticnt is to go help, and if you are the only one available, you cant possibly let that person hurt themself. and if you do go back too early and you try to help someone, you could actually hurt them if you are not strong enough to support them. We are anywhere from 100lb to 200lb nurses that have to help lift and move patients that can weight twice as much as us. It is such a dilema.
Unread 10-21-2007, 11:18 AM

kellenette
you are definately not alone in your apprehension. Please let us know what your doctor says after your appointment tommorrow
Unread 10-31-2007, 12:18 AM

Hi,
Went for my 6 week check today and everything is healing well. Even with everything healing well and my fatigue improving, my doc agreed that being off another month would be a great idea to allow me to gradually begin to lift at home and build up my strength. I told him I didn't want to screw anything up by going back at this time and being expected to do my job 100%....because it's all or nothing where I work. He also is adjusting my hormones a bit and this will hopefully give me a little longer to get that worked out. I told him I was frustrated with how slow I thought I was progressing and he reminded me several times that I had major surgery and it can take months to get back to feeling good again. The visit was reassuring and he was very kind and supportive and I was grateful. Hope everyone else's 6 week checks went well and that you are lucky enough to take more time if you need it to heal properly and put yourselves first for a change.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register