6 month pap abnormal | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 month pap abnormal 6 month pap abnormal

Unread 10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
6 month pap abnormal

Just had my 6 month post surgery pap smear. Expecting all to be well since I have no uterus or cervix anymore....when it came back abnormal. Excuse me! Not supposed to happen. My 2 doctors and oncologist are scratching their heads thinking the same thing. Nice. Now am being directly referred to the oncologist for a colposcopy. Another biopsy (had 3 prior to my surgery) yipeee. I am pretty honkerblonked off, angry and exhausted. I thought this was all over with. Anyone else have a similar situation? I don't have a lot of info at this point. I think they want a clear biopsy before anyone says anything. Of course, in my world, that probably means it's bad.
-Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 02:13 PM
6 month pap abnormal

I thought that when you had a total hyster. including the cervix that you didn't need anymore paps..Am I wrong?
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:36 PM
6 month pap abnormal

I think you are still supposed to have a pap every so often (every 5 years maybe?) I thought the same thing--how can they do a pap when there's no cervix.

With my endometrial cancer diagnosis, I will need to have one every 6 months for 5 years and then occasionally thereafter. I asked how they can do a pap when there's nothing there anymore and gyne oncologist said it's actually a modified pap (of the vaginal cuff area).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2007, 02:41 PM
6 month pap abnormal

Hello. I'm sorry you are feeling upset and frustrated. I guess it will help you to know that you are not alone. I had an ASCUS reading at 6 months, and then I had a reading, after my colposcopy and biopsies, of VAIN 1 and VAIN 2, Vaginal Interepithelial Neoplasia, stage 1, with foci indicating stage 2. These are precancerous cells in the vagina.

I think you would benefit from learning about HPV. HPV might be your issue, whether or not you tested positive for it. If you don't know about HPV, I'll just try to say, briefly, that HPV -- human papilloma virus as it's called -- is really a series of 99-100 viruses clustered together as one "type" and called HPV. Somewhere between 4 to 6 of the strains of this series of viruses are High Risk causes of cervical, vaginal, labial, throat, cancer. If you have had surgery that included the removal of your cervix, it could be that your doctor considered you are at risk for the high-risk types of HPV.

Even if you have had the surgery to remove whatever abnormal cells occurred for you, this ONLY removes the cells involved. It does NOT remove the HPV. HPV is virus-caused; the virus is always with you. That is why most doctors insist that their sexually active patients, even those whose hysts did not involve an HPV-related diagnosis, continue to get pap smears. If your doctor gave you a pap smear, it's likely that your doctor knows or considers that you are a carrier of HPV. KUDOS to your doctor for giving you a pap test at 6 months.

Please, if you do not know about HPV, do your best to learn more about it. Only a very small percentage of us (something like 4-6 %) come up with troublesome readings after our hysts. Welcome to the small but select club of women who understand that life matters, the mere living, and who want to find a real cure for this hidden, much under-discussed disease.

Please feel free to email me privately, if you want to talk more about this. I have often talked about it in previous messages. The hostess who is very knowledgable about this is Jeanine. Perhaps she'll come on to talk with you about this. And if not, please do feel free to email me about it. I'm happy to talk further about my experience with this problem.

Good wishes to you. Please keep your hopes up: the fact that this has been caught means years to your life.
Unread 10-19-2007, 10:14 PM
6 month pap abnormal

Hi, I also had an abnormal pap test 6 months after my hysterectomy, also had a coposcopy and a biopsy done which came back as intraepithelial neoplasia, which the Doctor reassured me is not cancer, but now i have to go see the surgeon on the 31st of Oct. to see what has to be done. It just seems that its one thing after another.
Unread 10-20-2007, 05:58 AM
6 month pap abnormal

Hello, Cookie and the others,

If it's neoplasia, then the situation is precancerous. Sometimes if it's at an initial stage, such as stage 1, and it's in the vaginal area or the very end, near what's left of the cervical cuff, then it's very likely your doctor will suggest adopting a "let's wait and see" attitude much like they do when it's an abnormal pap smear of the cervix. The ultimate goal is that our bodies will be able to handle the outcomes (abnormalities) of the HPV on their own. My immune system must be poor. And I contacted HPV later in life, when I was maybe 46 or 47, so I don' t have many defenses against it.

I ended up with stage 1 AND stage 2 abnormalities. With VAIN2, the typical thing they do is laser surgery, called a laser ablation, where they attempt to burn out the abnormal tissues.

My hyst was in August 06, and because I had a VAIN 2 reading in the spring of 07, I had a laser ablation in late June this year. It is nothing like the other surgery they did, but they did put me out for it, and I was in some pretty serious discomfort from it, afterward. But it's not like a hyst. It's a terrific soreness that lasts 2-3 weeks.

I'm sorry this is happening to us all. But you know what, it makes each day sweeter, because each day counts a little more for us, maybe, than we knew before. In some ways, this gift of the self-recognition that time -- our lives -- matter to us, well, in my case, it's sorta sad that it took a cancer scare to make that happen, but I'm grateful for the experience. I don't waste much time any more, without KNOWing I'm wasting it and without sensing that I ought to do better with what hours are left in this life.

Warm good wishes to you all. Please learn more about HPV. And if you'd like to talk privately, feel free to private message me on this site.
Unread 10-20-2007, 07:37 AM
6 month pap abnormal

P.S. to my item above: I mistyped the meaning of VAIN -- it's intraepithelial, not interepithelial (long working day yesterday!)
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:05 AM
6 month pap abnormal

To all...I apologize for not responding. I did not get any info that anyone had responded to my initial post. Actually came on to look for an old friend that I heard was having some trouble and found that there had been responses to my post.
I have learned more from the oncologist that I saw this last Friday. I still have dysplasia cells at the vaginal cuff that need to be removed. To him, it is a "walk in the park". We have all heard that before! So, that means yet another procedure. Sucks for me. But it is not life threatening, just a pain in my ***...or as my oncologist said, "not really in your ***, a little higher"....don't you love it when they try to be funny!!!
Anyhow...thank you for the responses and I am, again, so sorry for not responding sooner... I know where I stand. Not where I want to be, yet here I am.

Hope the threads reach me...otherwise I will connect personally. One of my best friends was founded on this site. You have no idea how much support I have gotten from her in the last year. This site is amazing.
-T
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
6 month pap abnormal

Okay I"m new to this HPV stuff. Even though I have had my cervix and uterus removed, I will still need a pap? There is a chance of HPV getting on the cervical cuff? And if so , if left untreated or undetected will it go further than the cuff since the uterus is not there? I'm sorry for being ignorant and sounding dumb with these questions. I was not diagnosed with HPV until last year when the pap came back normal but positive for the high risk HPV. I had biopsy after biopsy, and another pap a few months ago, still pap came back normal but cervical displaysia. Is there a chance that since there is no cervix that the HPV will infect the vaginal wall? Any info or a website for me to read up on would be great. I was thinking that all would be a good deal from now on since the cervix is gone.
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:39 AM
6 month pap abnormal

As far as I can tell...those who have had hysters due to cervical dysplasia are at the highest risk for complications and re-occurence of the disease post surgery. Not something I really was warned about or thought about post hyster. Kind of figured that everything would be o.k. But do understand medical side of it. Nothing is a guarantee. More involved....As you get more into this,seems that more people are willing to chat privately. It becomes much more of a "personal" thing. I am here if you need,
-T

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register