6 month pap abnormal - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 month pap abnormal 6 month pap abnormal

Unread 11-07-2007, 10:44 AM
6 month pap abnormal

Had my Doctors appointment with my gyn/onc. on the 31st of Oct. I go for laser ablation on the 16th of November. there is a 4mm lesion that he is going to remove. I have decided to put my life into Gods hands and take one day at a time, and try not to worry until I have something to worry about. God bless all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 11:01 AM
6 month pap abnormal

When I had my pre-op appointment, I was told I would still need a pap every 2 years even though my uterus and cervix are gone. The nurse explained that I still had a vagina and although rare, they check for cancer there at appointments. She said I still needed yearly visits to have the ovaries checked (still have them). No signs of cancer and no history of cancer, so I think that is just their procedure.
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:04 PM
6 month pap abnormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbutrflyzz
Okay I"m new to this HPV stuff. Even though I have had my cervix and uterus removed, I will still need a pap? There is a chance of HPV getting on the cervical cuff? And if so , if left untreated or undetected will it go further than the cuff since the uterus is not there? I'm sorry for being ignorant and sounding dumb with these questions. I was not diagnosed with HPV until last year when the pap came back normal but positive for the high risk HPV. I had biopsy after biopsy, and another pap a few months ago, still pap came back normal but cervical displaysia. Is there a chance that since there is no cervix that the HPV will infect the vaginal wall? Any info or a website for me to read up on would be great. I was thinking that all would be a good deal from now on since the cervix is gone.

Hi luvbutrflyzz,
From what I've read, once you have hpv you don't really get 'rid' of it. Some mild strains regress on their own but for those w/ high strains, the risk of cervical cancer is higher.
BUT I've also read that if you've had a hyster for cervical dysplasia/precancer, you still need to have paps, where they swab the vaginal wall (not the cervix) to see if the dysplasia has spread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 04:24 PM
6 month pap abnormal

lots of questions and info here....as stated above, there is no surgery nor treatment that gets rid of hpv. once you have the virus, it is with you, and medical science does not yet know exactly what causes it to become or stay dormant or to reactivate. hpv is very common, and 80% of women will have an hpv infection at one point in their lives. most women are able to contract hpv with no ill side effects, and even if they get dysplasia, most women are able to clear that as well. if a woman has a history of abnormal paps, she still needs to have pap smears even without a cervix. it's still a 'pap', but the swab or sample is taken of the tissues that remain in the vagina if the cervix is gone. continued monitoring is needed to be sure that dysplasia or cancer does not occur in the vagina. and the pap is an easy and inexpensive screening test.

to learn more about hpv and cervical cancer/dysplasia, a good source of information is the national cervical cancer coalition, www.nccc-online.org and to read the american cancer society's screening guidelines for frequency of paps: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/co...p?sitearea=PED
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:00 AM
6 month pap abnormal

Has anyone had vaginal tablets for abnormal Pap after surgery ? (8 months post op everything normal. Now, 13 months after, I have a bad Pap. ) LH
Unread 11-08-2007, 04:06 AM
6 month pap abnormal

Where does the dysplasia go after the laser treatment, if it decides to come back?
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:24 AM
6 month pap abnormal

Hello, again. If you have been diagnosed with dysplasia of the cervix or the vaginal walls, do please learn everything you can learn about HPV. Catwoman, above, has provided some websites. The Mayo Clinic also provides some useful information.

In a laser ablation of the vagina, the surgeon uses a laser beam to burn the tissue in the vaginal cavity. Essentially, the idea is to obliterate (burn) the cells that show signs of dysplasia. Healing from this burning requires a cream (to keep the remaining cells supple, so that they don't adhere to one another) that one uses for about a week. Your doctor will typically ask you to come back in for examination after two to three weeks, sometimes four.

The healing process is typically one where new cells form where the old ones were, much like on the rest of our bodies, where scar tissue has been. So as long as there is sufficient layering of the cells of the vaginal walls, these cells remaining will heal over and form a new surface above the lasered (and scarred) tissue. If dysplasia returns, it will return by showing up on the new intraepithelial cells. HPV seems to be able to invade these kinds of cells on those of us who have weakened immune systems.

But dysplasia can also show up in the exterior genitalia (labia, etc.), whether or not one has had a vaginal laser ablation.

Catwoman is absolutely right: getting a pap and regular examination, post-hyst, is an inexpensive, preventive measure. Dysplasia is NOT cancer; it is a precondition to cancer that can be found and treated before cancerous cells occur.

It is all very scary when one begins to learn about these things and to realize that, gee, this is my body "they" are talking about. We all can hope that, one day, there will be a series of DNA tests that can be conducted that will help doctors to identify the particular areas of immunodeficiency each woman has and to treat her systemically rather than through time-consuming, costly, and painful surgery. This is the goal of the researchers aiming to bring this disease under better maintenance. Let's hope we all live long enough to benefit from such treatment. Life is good!
Unread 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM
6 month pap abnormal

What great information being shared here! I also want to add one of my favorite sites for information on HPV:

http://www.thehpvtest.com/

Very simply written understandable information by the makers of the Digene HPV test.

And I certainly do want to encourage women to continue to have their regular follow-up visits. Early detection is the key to successful treatment!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register