Hospital bills! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital bills! Hospital bills!

Unread 10-20-2007, 06:49 AM
Hospital bills!

This thread has come as real surprise to me. I didn't realise in America if you had medical insrance you could still have to pay top up fees I thought all your fees would be paid by the insurance company.

Living in England we have the NHS were no fees are paid and even with private health care, most but not all policies include all expenses necessary for treatment.

I think it's a awful that you have all gone through all that trauma pre and post surgery to be then faced with medical bills to pay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Hospital bills!

I havent received a bill yet, but did have to pay a $300 co-pay the day of surgery. I had already met my deductable for the year, that is why I wanted to have the surgery before the end od this year,or I would of had to pay a $2000.00 deductable. glad to have good insurance.
Unread 10-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Hospital bills!

I knew I was going to have two surgerys this year so we increased our health insurance options at work to the maximum coverage. This costs us a higher premium but then they pay 100%. I don't remember what my copay or deductible is at the moment, though I think it's minimal.

I don't have a bill yet for my TAH on 10/11, but my thyroid surgery with one night in the hospital was $15K. For my TAH I was in the hospital two nights/three days, so it will be interesting to see the bill for sure.

This is an interesting topic, considering the ongoing political debates about national health insurance vs. private.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2007, 09:49 AM
Hospital bills!

My insurance covers 60 percent, so the doctor and the hospital asked me to pay my share up front, a total of around $5000 so far. My employer offers a choice of insurance plans, I chose one of the less expensive ones so I could fund my 401k (retirement savings plan) a little more.

The out of pocket costs haven't been a problem for us. We both have good jobs and are very disciplined with money and therefore in good shape financially to cover an expense like this. So, this is one of the costs of the choices we made, but it will work out okay for us in the long run, healthwise for me, and financially for our retirement.
Unread 10-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Payment in full.

With the hospital and the doctor visits my total came to $18,000. After insurance my total was around $2,000. $1,200 of that was from the hospital. I don't know if your hospital offers it but I am trying to get approved for full payment. The program is called the Bridge Assistance program. You have to qualify under income standards. I believe if you make less than $45,000 in a year you could qualify for full payment. You have to give such info as last years tax return, 12 months of pay stubs and the number of family members you have. You can call the accountant at your hospital to find out if they offer the program or a simular program. If you've lost income due to time off, you may qualify for temparary assistance from DSHS for you medical bills (I didn't do this but was told about it). I figure I would try the Bridge assistance program because I qualify according to the yearly gross standards.

Good luck I hope you can find something.
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:16 AM
Hospital bills!

Well it appears my insurance company has denied my claim so i am going to have to pay a $20,430 bill. They denied it because the hospital that did the surgery was not in my network. I went to the hospital that is in my network and they could not perform the surgery so they set me up with the hospital that did the surgery. The insurance company said since I did got get preauthorization they will not pay for the surgery. This was an emergency surgery. I went to see the surgeon that performed the surgery at 0830 and was in surgery at 1200. So much for insurance.
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Hospital bills!

luvmyK9,
This doesn't seem right. If it was emergency surgery I can't imagine that pre-authorization could be required.

I hope you have a way to appeal this decision.
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyk9
Well it appears my insurance company has denied my claim so i am going to have to pay a $20,430 bill. They denied it because the hospital that did the surgery was not in my network. I went to the hospital that is in my network and they could not perform the surgery so they set me up with the hospital that did the surgery. The insurance company said since I did got get preauthorization they will not pay for the surgery. This was an emergency surgery. I went to see the surgeon that performed the surgery at 0830 and was in surgery at 1200. So much for insurance.

I do hope you can appeal this decision. I feel for you. No one needs that kind of pressure after such a traumatic surgery. Good luck.

Janelle
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Hospital bills!

My info bill was 39,000.00 from the hospital. That doesn't include the Gynecologist or the labs bill. I spent 3 days in the castle but never got a room! I was in the post op observations wing the whole time. I can't imagine what the bill would have been if I got my room.

Janelle
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Hospital bills!

luvmyk9, FIGHT IT! The insurance company is hoping you won't. When you do, they usually bend and work with you. A lot of people don't fight bills and just pay whatever, and that's what the insurance company is hoping for. If they won't budge you might consider going the legal route with them. That is a lot of money.

Sorry you have to go through this. It sure doesn't seem right.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register