Hospital bills! - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital bills! Hospital bills!

Unread 10-31-2007, 11:36 AM
Hospital bills!

Speaking of insurance companies~~~I am so upset with ours! They want to be the ones who decides what kind of care my son gets while going through this cancer treatment! What, I am supposed to go to the lowest bidder for care? I don't think so! They told my dh that they are keeping an eye on this case because it will be a high dollar case. What about the premiums that we pay out every month, for years?!?! Like Kitty, we will paying for my surgery and his cancer till we are dead!! Sorry, I just had to vent! If I had my choice, they wouldn't be paying anything, and my young son would NOT have cancer!! Take care ladies. Have a good day; thanks for listenening!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2007, 01:26 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny052
I just got an "informational" bill from my hospital on what the total cost of the hysterectomy was!

It was around $24,000!! WOW!

I just hope that my insurance pays way over half or more.

Has any one else got a bill? Did your insurance pay a lot? What was the total cost that you had to pay?

Other than a $250.00 copay, my insurance paid.. I don't think insurance would cover if it wasn't medically necessary though..
Unread 10-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkjjrd6
Speaking of insurance companies~~~I am so upset with ours! They want to be the ones who decides what kind of care my son gets while going through this cancer treatment! What, I am supposed to go to the lowest bidder for care? I don't think so! They told my dh that they are keeping an eye on this case because it will be a high dollar case. What about the premiums that we pay out every month, for years?!?! Like Kitty, we will paying for my surgery and his cancer till we are dead!! Sorry, I just had to vent! If I had my choice, they wouldn't be paying anything, and my young son would NOT have cancer!! Take care ladies. Have a good day; thanks for listenening!
that just totally totally sucks! this thread is so interesting and timely, with the presidential elections coming up. we need some kind of health care reform. this just is not fair! bkjjrd6: HUGS to you and your son. i want to say don't worry about the money and just do whatever is necessary to take care of each other, but i know that's hard and not always possible. once you all have your health, nothing else matters.

~goosey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelnine
I haven't received a bill as I have medical insurance, but I would have loved to have seen what the total charges were. I had a TAH/BSO with a two night, three day stay in a private room at the castle and I'm sure it wasn't cheap. I did have to pay a $100 copay at the time of my admission though. The copay was the only portion of the total cost that I was responsible for paying. Thank goodness for good health insurance! I have no idea what I would have done without it!
I have insurance, but received a copy of the bill. Mine was around $18,000. Then the insurance company countered, telling them they'd allow $7500. So, the bill was reduced to $7500 and I paid $700 of that. A small price to pay for the fabulous benefits of LSH!
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyk9
Well it appears my insurance company has denied my claim so i am going to have to pay a $20,430 bill. They denied it because the hospital that did the surgery was not in my network. I went to the hospital that is in my network and they could not perform the surgery so they set me up with the hospital that did the surgery. The insurance company said since I did got get preauthorization they will not pay for the surgery. This was an emergency surgery. I went to see the surgeon that performed the surgery at 0830 and was in surgery at 1200. So much for insurance.
I think that you can fight that. You do need to get tough with them though. Get copies of letters from the Dr., get proof of the hospital inside your plan telling you that they could not perform the surgery, thereby sending you to another facility.

In the meantime, contact the hospital and let them know that you are disputing your insurance company's denial. Let them know that you are working on getting your insurance carrier to pay the bill. This way, they will work with you to hold off on payment until the dispute is settled.

Don't just roll over and play dead...fight this one!
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:12 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyk9
Well it appears my insurance company has denied my claim so i am going to have to pay a $20,430 bill. They denied it because the hospital that did the surgery was not in my network. I went to the hospital that is in my network and they could not perform the surgery so they set me up with the hospital that did the surgery. The insurance company said since I did got get preauthorization they will not pay for the surgery. This was an emergency surgery. I went to see the surgeon that performed the surgery at 0830 and was in surgery at 1200. So much for insurance.

I rest my case with insurance companies! When we were in Children's Hospital with my son, the orthopedic oncologist ordered a hinged knee brace to prevent my sons weakened leg bone from breaking. Well, we were gonna have to pay for it because we were "out of our network". There is no Children's Hospital where we live; had to drive 4 1/2 hours, in another state, to find one. This is a $650 brace! Well, the hospital picked up the tab. We got NO preauthorization for any of this; VERY unexpected. We will see what happens when the bills start coming in. Even the Critical Care company that supplies his broviac care stuff is out of our network, and it is in the same part of the state, 30 miles away! Like I said before, I guess it is only money. But insurance companies just aren't very compassionate. Oh well, we will be paying for this forever. I am NOT going to compromise my sons life for money! And as I said before, we pay premiums every month! Sorry, I had to vent again! Thanks for listening, and I hope you, luvmyk9, can get your problem straightened out. Good luck!
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:26 PM
Hospital bills!

To all who are having trouble with their insurance companies, I have read over and over, KEEP hounding them. send them letters from your doctors, send them letters explaining why they should pay. send them letters til they decide to pay. KEEP After them. I don't know how many times I've read this. IF they refuse to pay and you give in, you made it easy for them. Keep calling and keep writing. You deserve to have your bills paid whether in or out of network they should pay. Just keep making your case til it gets to the right person or the right person gets the right mood, or til someone feels they know you and will take up your cause for you at their office. Call them every day if you have to. make It their business to get your bills paid.

YOu can do it. don't give up. Kitty
Unread 11-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Hospital bills!

I am sorta surprised that some DaVinci surgery patients were kept in the hospital for 3 days. I had a DaVinci on a Thursday at Noon, and by Friday at 6pm, I was out the door.

I can imagine that my hospital bill would've at least doubled if I had had to stay 3 days.

Oh, and my surgery was categorized as Outpatient surgery. My husband was surprised to learn that such major surgery could be coded as outpatient. He was afraid that the insurance wouldn't pay because of miscoding. It was a baseless fear.. after a bit of foot-dragging (referral to the underwriter to approve the charges), they paid right up.

To those who are having issues with your insurance company .. do make sure that the billing departments at the various places (hospital, labs, anesth., etc.) are coding things correctly. It can make a big difference on how things are covered. Good luck to all.
Unread 11-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlemonchichi
I received the informational bill from my hospital today. It was $5800. That was just for the charges at the actual hospital. I still haven't seen the bill for the anesthesiologist (sp) or my OB/GYN.

My anesthesia bill I just got was $1,050.00 but I won't have to pay anything. I will for the hospital tho. Haven't any other bills..
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:29 AM
Hospital bills!

My final costs:

$19,632. That's the hospital, surgeon, assistant surgeon, anesthesiologist, and pathologist.

Thankfully, insurance paid every bit of it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register