Hospital bills! - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital bills! Hospital bills!

Unread 11-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Hospital bills!

Okay, except what I don't understand is why it says 100% under the "Covered" column and then says patient responsibility is $400. I met my deductible in May, so it isn't that. My doctor's office supposedly calculated the co-pay amount and collected that before surgery and that was $200. I'm at a loss as to how the insurance arrived at an extra $200. The doctor was in the PPO network. The only copay I know about is $20 office visits. The only thing I can figure is that since I met my individual deductible in May, they are now making meet the family deductible. I guess I'll call the insurance company and ask them on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 03:45 PM
Hospital bills!

OK, I am just sitting here reading this thread with my mouth hanging open reading the amounts that everyone's surgery has been costing across the country.

I live in New York State - the land of taxes - so if anyone was going to pay through the nose, you would think it would be me.

My surgery - a complete TAHw/BSO - and I got wonderful care - Hospital for 3 nights, Surgeon charge, Anesthsiologist charge was $8,000 total. Insurance picks up most and I'm paying out of pocket about $1800.

Thank god for insurance, but I just can't believe the differences in charges - no wonder we are facing such a health care crisis. How are average people suppose to pay this stuff out of pocket?? Boggles the mind.
Unread 11-23-2007, 04:09 PM
Hospital bills!

CAmich, yes, definately, contact your insurance company about this. Most likely, there is a portion that is not 100% covered. It also could be that it should have been 100% covered, but someone miscoded the billing, causing you to owe more than you should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 04:32 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cms_6060
OK, I am just sitting here reading this thread with my mouth hanging open reading the amounts that everyone's surgery has been costing across the country.

I live in New York State - the land of taxes - so if anyone was going to pay through the nose, you would think it would be me.

My surgery - a complete TAHw/BSO - and I got wonderful care - Hospital for 3 nights, Surgeon charge, Anesthsiologist charge was $8,000 total. Insurance picks up most and I'm paying out of pocket about $1800.

Thank god for insurance, but I just can't believe the differences in charges - no wonder we are facing such a health care crisis. How are average people suppose to pay this stuff out of pocket?? Boggles the mind.
I have been worried about this, DH and I are self employed. I had to pay Dr. 2,000 before surgery and hospital said they will set up payment plan (4 years @ 8%) for the surgery. They said the "average TAH/BSO is about 9,000.
Unread 11-23-2007, 05:26 PM
Hospital bills!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoeflower
I have been worried about this, DH and I are self employed. I had to pay Dr. 2,000 before surgery and hospital said they will set up payment plan (4 years @ 8%) for the surgery. They said the "average TAH/BSO is about 9,000.
Oh goodness, so you will have to be responsible for the whole amount?? Good luck to you. I know it is not easy making ends meet anymore. Hubby and I both work, make a decent salary but always seem to be just getting by. Really, it just floored me to see what some folks have been charged for surgery. Makes you wonder how much they 'up' the charges and how one hospital can justify charging $6K, vs. another charging $30+K for the same procedure, length of stay, etc.
Unread 11-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Hospital bills!

What gets me is the amounts that insurance companies say they will "allow" and the bill is cut in half. I tried that, said I would pay 1/2 amount in cash, no dice. Luckily DH is a good provider, we live within our means. Instead of paying insurance I put away some every month for medical costs. My other gripe is if we were on welfare or illegal immigrants the state would foot the bill. Oh well! I am just thankful for what I have!
Unread 11-23-2007, 05:48 PM
Hospital bills!

Actually, people without insurance can and do get their bills but in half, or more, as well. They simply need to speak to the right person at the hospital and they too can get a greduction in the costs.

I have read that many times here and in financial planning books. What the hospital is banking on, is that those without insurance will not ask for the reduction.

Also, many who do not have coverage will end up never paying the bill in full...hospitals write-off a TON of unpaid medical bills.
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:05 PM
Hospital bills!

Wow - I had no idea of the medical costs. In Ontario, we do not receive any bills - all is directly paid through our provincial health plan. My 3 night, 4 day stay in hospital cost me $15.00 for a telephone. That's it.

Good luck to all who are fighting with their insurance companies - that's added stress you sure don't need now.
Unread 11-27-2007, 01:28 PM
Hospital bills!

Well I think I finally have most of the bills and it looks like my total is $20,903.75. Out of that we have to pay $855.42. We'll see if anything else comes up. This amount is pretty much in the realm that we expected and I have seen some posts that were higher so I guess I should not feel too bad.
Unread 11-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Hospital bills!

I havn't gotten a bill... I hope <oops! name of insurance removed per site guidelines!?> covers it all or I'm sunk...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register