Laparoscopic hernia repair after TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Laparoscopic hernia repair after TAH Laparoscopic hernia repair after TAH

Unread 10-20-2007, 04:30 PM
Laparoscopic hernia repair after TAH

So here I am frustrated that I need another surgery. I have a hernia that is going to be repaired on the 26th.

I have been having LLQ pain off and on for 5 yrs... although this is not the reason for my hyst, it would have been nice to have gotten it all figured out at once! My gyn changed my hyst to a TAH instead of a TVH because of the pain so she could get a good look at everything. She never found anything on the left, but I did have a hemorrhagic cyst on my rt. ovary. My surg was 6-13-07 and went well.

I noticed a small bulge to the left of my incision about a month after surgery, thought it was just scar tissue. Well now my pain is worse and pretty constant. I saw my gyn on the 8th of Oct and she referred me to a surgeon. I saw her on the 17th and she confirmed what I already knew...yes, it is a hernia and it needs fixed. I was really bummed out. My guess is that I've had it all along but it has definitely gotten worse. I am scheduled for a laparoscopic hernia repair...hopefully it can be done that way...my surgeon said as long as scar tissue from the prior surgery is not in the way, it can be done laparascopic and will be an outpatient surgery.

Anyone else out there with the same problem, or has had this surgery in the past? How is everyone else recovering?

Wishing you all well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM

Sorry you're going through this right now.

One question -- is this hernia an incisional hernia from your TAH procedure, or did you have it before your TAH?

When I had post-op pain following my TAH, an incisional hernia was also suspected. The doctor said it was a fairly straightforward day-surgery type of procedure -- not a big deal at all. (My problem turned out not to be a hernia, so I can't give you any additional information.)

I hope another (((sister))) who has had a hernia can come along and give you some additional help.
Unread 10-21-2007, 09:13 PM

I think I've had a hernia there but it was not diagnosed...not as large or always bulging. It has gotten worse sice my TAH, probably due to straining to roll to the side to get out of bed (rolling to the left!) etc. in order not to strain the TAH incision. So, we will just have to wait and see what the surgery finds...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2007, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel33
So here I am frustrated that I need another surgery. I have a hernia that is going to be repaired on the 26th.

I have been having LLQ pain off and on for 5 yrs... although this is not the reason for my hyst, it would have been nice to have gotten it all figured out at once! My gyn changed my hyst to a TAH instead of a TVH because of the pain so she could get a good look at everything. She never found anything on the left, but I did have a hemorrhagic cyst on my rt. ovary. My surg was 6-13-07 and went well.

I noticed a small bulge to the left of my incision about a month after surgery, thought it was just scar tissue. Well now my pain is worse and pretty constant. I saw my gyn on the 8th of Oct and she referred me to a surgeon. I saw her on the 17th and she confirmed what I already knew...yes, it is a hernia and it needs fixed. I was really bummed out. My guess is that I've had it all along but it has definitely gotten worse. I am scheduled for a laparoscopic hernia repair...hopefully it can be done that way...my surgeon said as long as scar tissue from the prior surgery is not in the way, it can be done laparascopic and will be an outpatient surgery.

Anyone else out there with the same problem, or has had this surgery in the past? How is everyone else recovering?

Wishing you all well!
I was just referred to a General Surgeon as my DR suspects that I have an incisional hernia also. I had a TVH, and the spot I have is next to my 21 year old csection scar. You can actually see the bulge. My appt. is on Thursday. I'm bummed too as I have been trying really hard to get back into shape and back to normal(and have been well within my limits!) I'm really hoping I don't have to have another surgery. I'll keep you all posted. Keep your chin up, this will all end soon................

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register